Probably a silly question!

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Mega.Man

Probably a silly question!

Post by Mega.Man » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:23 am

Hey, first post, great forum! I have an amd xp 2000+ processor, am i right in thinking ninja & thermalright ultra-120 are incompatible, or is there an adapter for socket a? I know its overkill, but im upgrading to core 2 duo in the not too distant future and wanted to get rid of my "interesting" :roll: choice of a coolermaster heatsink, about 4 years ago, that sounds like a jet engine! Many thanks in advance.

pixel_pimp

Post by pixel_pimp » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:53 am

If you're planning an upgrade, I suggest simply replacing the fan on the HS with a quieter model in the interim and getting your Ninja or whatever at the same time as you get the rest - that way, you get the rather pleasing effect of more new stuff all arriving at once :D

Gorsnak

Post by Gorsnak » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:18 pm

Alternatively there's probably an Arctic Cooling hsf that would do a decent job on the 2000+ for minimal cost. I don't know that you'd want to hang a heavy tower heatsink on it anyways, as lots of Socket A boards didn't have holes for bolt-through mounts. Mine sure didn't, and I wouldn't want an ultra-120 hanging on the little plastic hsf clip. But yeah, a simple fan swap may be all you need.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:25 pm

Hello & welcome to SPCR!

If it fits in your system, then I recommend the Zalman 7000 Al/Cu:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835118112

It cools a 2500+ easily, and at the right fan speed (with included FanMate) it is quiet, too.

Mega.Man

Post by Mega.Man » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:08 am

Thanks for the replies and the welcome! I think I will just try and upgrade asap ... the noise will drive me to it sooner rather than later :x I didn't really wanna spend extra money on something that I would only use briefly, and don't really fancy the fan swap as its 80mm, which again, I wouldn't use in the future. Thanks again though :)

Mega.Man

Post by Mega.Man » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:21 am

Ok, complete U-turn :oops: i'm gonna follow Neil's advice and get the Zalman. That way I can reuse my old PC after upgrading. However, from reading the dimensions, it seems to be slightly bigger than my current noise generator does it look like it would interfere with the one or both of the fans? Educated guess anyone? :?

Antec P180
AMD XP 2000+
Soltek SL-75DRV5
Coolermaster HAC-V81 XDream :cry:

btw, things are still a bit of a mess, im not tidying properly as things keep changing!

thanks in advance :wink:

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:34 am

Hello,

How big is the current CPU fan? Can you measure the gap up to the fan above it -- and do you really need the top fan? My first guess (w/o the answers to the above questions) is that if it fits, it will be pretty tight -- if you leave in the top fan. Take it out, and it's no problem, in my estimation.

An option that will fit, is to use an Alpha with a quiet 80mm fan, like an Enermax Enlobal.

Mega.Man

Post by Mega.Man » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:07 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:How big is the current CPU fan? Can you measure the gap up to the fan above it -- and do you really need the top fan?

An option that will fit, is to use an Alpha with a quiet 80mm fan, like an Enermax Enlobal.
hey thanks for a quick response! the cpu fan is 80mm. i can certainly take out the top fan (its not very clear from the picture but the mounting clip of my current HS is poking between the fins of the fan, so it doesnt rotate & i have since disconnected the power to it) i think/hope your right about the fit, i was a bit worried that it won't fit with the fan on the left as i can't remove both exhaust fans though.

whats "an alpha"? am i being stupid? :roll:

many thanks again :D ... i think i might just take the plunge

kater

Post by kater » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:21 am

long time ago when i had xp2000 i cooled it with whisperrock hsf (just a wee bit better than stock, but really quiet in comparison), then switched to kamakaze - both were veeeery silent, but kamakaze worked better as it actually removed (sucked) air out of the case through a large diameter hole i made in the side panel

the alpha mentioned here is (most probably) sth like a kamakaze - it has pins (instead of fins) and sucks air from the cpu rather than blows on it

cheap-wise - maybe get an ordinary 80mm fan, blow it under 2000 rpm (use fanmate) and get a serious cooler when you upgrade the rig - no need to waste money now

or maybe get an arctic cooling hsf with thermal control? should be both cheap and efficient

or maybe just lubricate the old one? clean the heatsink? sometimes it saves the day

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:29 pm

Hello,

This is an Alpha heatsink:

Unfortunately, the Delta fan it comes with is not quiet...I'd go with the Enermax Enlobal, and mount it blowing up!

Mega.Man

Post by Mega.Man » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:46 am

:) thanks people, this has been very helpful ... i may have found a solution, that best of all is free! In my desperation i returned to my old case to see if any of the fans would be of use (3X80mm) one of them, to my shock it was a yate loon D80SM-12 i dont know if its of any use, but it HAS to be quieter than the coolermaster "rifle" as i descovered when i removed it. I dont have my computer with me at the moment (its at uni) but i had a spare heatsink from a previous build of the computer i am using to type this. So im about to power it up in this case and see if its quiet, like the 120mm YL. *fingers crossed* i have mounted it to suck air up from the HS, this there a correct way in general to do it? or should i just try and see?

thanks again :oops:

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:59 pm

Hello,

Most heatsinks are better when the fan blows down into them. Only a few work better when the fan sucks the air through them; like the Alpha.