Scythe Ninja mounting system...

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

panda-R

Scythe Ninja mounting system...

Post by panda-R » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:35 am

any complaints about it? what are the chances of the pushpins coming loose and letting the giant heatsink fall onto the video card? I sometimes am a little rough on my systems when handling. This will be used on a socket 775 system and i've never used the pushpins so i don't know anythign about them.

The Ultra-120 on the other hand looks to have a more stable setup.

Chocolinx

Post by Chocolinx » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:00 pm

Personally I like the pushpin style. Makes me feel a lot safer since it seems to add a lot more pressure to our conroes.

Just make sure you have a really thin/long flat head screwdriver handy so that it makes it a lot easier to push the pins in. Make sure you hear a nice CLICK when pushing down and push them down in a criss-cross fasion meaning top right, then bottom left then the other 2 corners. That way your thermal grease will spread evenly.

panda-R

Post by panda-R » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:57 pm

hmmm ic...

and would the pushpin mechanisms hold up to repeated mouting/dismounting?

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:15 pm

If you prefer the robustness of a steel backplate and steel rails bolted together, Scythe now sells the old-style mounting kit for less than $10. Just remember: don't remove the adhesive backing paper!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835185022

Chocolinx

Post by Chocolinx » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:40 pm

panda-R wrote:hmmm ic...

and would the pushpin mechanisms hold up to repeated mouting/dismounting?
It should be just as durable as driving in screws. I've locked and unlocked the Heatsink several times now.

panda-R

Post by panda-R » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:54 pm

ahhh interesting.. ok well i'll have to take a look into it.. i think i'll order the ninja first and see if the kits is necessary or not.

chienpourri

Post by chienpourri » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:47 am

[quote="cmthomson"]Just remember: don't remove the adhesive backing paper![/quote]

What do you mean by that?

orihara

Post by orihara » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:06 am

chienpourri wrote:
cmthomson wrote:Just remember: don't remove the adhesive backing paper!
You're not supposed to remove the paper.

chobaka

Post by chobaka » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:17 pm

Chocolinx wrote:Personally I like the pushpin style. Makes me feel a lot safer since it seems to add a lot more pressure to our conroes.

Just make sure you have a really thin/long flat head screwdriver handy so that it makes it a lot easier to push the pins in. Make sure you hear a nice CLICK when pushing down and push them down in a criss-cross fasion meaning top right, then bottom left then the other 2 corners. That way your thermal grease will spread evenly.
I don't like the push-pin method. I had a very hard time pushing in one of the pins...seemed like it was malfunctioning. Also, I get scared when I'm applying so much pressure to the motherboard...I don't like it when it bends.

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:59 pm

chienpourri wrote:
cmthomson wrote:Just remember: don't remove the adhesive backing paper!
If you remove it, the backplate will be seriously stuck to the motherboard. It will take major effort to remove it if for some reason you want to. It works just as well without being glued to the board.

chienpourri

Post by chienpourri » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:54 am

[quote="cmthomson"]If you remove it, the backplate will be seriously stuck to the motherboard. It will take major effort to remove it if for some reason you want to. It works just as well without being glued to the board.[/quote]

Oh man.... too late! When I installed my Ninja (LGA775 640) I totally removed the paper and stuck the backplate on the mobo. I thinks that's what they said in the paper that comes with it!

Anyway, I don't plan on upgrading this CPU, I'll just get a new mobo and E6600. I have a spare ninja (1st rev.) waiting for this!

But why did they include a back-peeling sticker if you're not supposed to glue it?

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:57 pm

Oh, they wanted you to remove the backing paper, for extra-secure stuck-on mounting. It's just that it's a bad idea. [Which is why I repeat this admonition so often; people for various reasons want to remove the backplate, only to discover that it's very well stuck to the motherboard...]

Lightice

Post by Lightice » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:21 am

I had to invest in professional help to get the new pushpin-type mounting in place. I suspect that my mobo was slightly warped by the previous heatsink, though. In any case, I believe that the next adventure'll be getting it off when I want to switch my processor.