Will it fit in my case?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

stu-77

Will it fit in my case?

Post by stu-77 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:00 pm

Hi everyone

This is my first post but I have used this forum for ages. I've searched for this too - but no joy.

I have a silverstone LC13 case http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-lc13.htm

... and was wondering if a scythe ninja will fit in it. I have no idea what motherboard I have because I bought a complete Acer PC and transplanted it in to this case (worked out cheaper this way rather than buying the same components including windows)

Cpu-z identifies it as an Acer mother board too. Its an Athlon 64 3200 system BTW.

I was also considering a Thermalright XP-90

What do people reckon?

stigweard

Post by stigweard » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:27 pm

The height of the Ninja is 150mm and the height of that case is 163mm. With barely 1cm to spare, I doubt it will fit. You need height for the risers, the motherboard, the socket, and cpu which is bound to be more than that.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:09 am

Unlikely. Assuming everything is normal, you're looking at at least 1cm for the standoffs, about another 8-10 mm for the cpu in the socket, and then the cpu. Added up, it's not enough. Then, assuming you use the fan the way it's supposed to be used, you're looking at another 10-15 mm higher.

Try something a bit smaller.

kentc
Friend of SPCR

Post by kentc » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:53 am

i'm sure i've seen someone reducing the height of the ninja by a few mm but i can't seem to find it now. can't even remember if i googled it or saw it here on spcr.
i seem to recall it had something to do with the bolts on top of the heatpipes being there for aesthetic reasons, not actually having any function. removing them reduced the height of the ninja by something like 5mm. might actually be enough.

myself, when i was choosing a heatsink last, i simply lugged my case to the nearest most well stocked pc store and asked to try. they were happy to oblige and i ended up buying the xp90c because i couldn't fit the xp120.
in hindsight i'd also like a hs that was lower profile and required lower airflow (still haven't found anything to fit this bill!).
the xp90c is excellent but it does require vertical (perpendicular to motherboard) airflow and the fins are rather tightly packed so if you don't have a fan on it it requires some quality ducting.

regards, kent.

stu-77

Post by stu-77 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:46 am

Thanks for the advice - that saved me £35!!!

Think i might go for the XP-90 as an alternative