Overworking Chassis Fan/High temps on e6600

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

AndeeG

Overworking Chassis Fan/High temps on e6600

Post by AndeeG » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:13 pm

I just set up my new computer, installed programs, utilities, drivers, etc. and I'm loving it, but it's very loud. Here are my specs:

Intel C2D e6600
Asus P5B-E
Corsair HX520
Asus x1900pro
Antec Solo (Rear TriCool, no intake fan)

At first I tried the lowest chassis fan speed and everything sounded great. However, after a couple of minutes of COD2, my CPU temp. reached 60 degrees according to PC Probe and the siren thing went off. I set the chassis fan to medium speed (which is also acceptably quiet) and tried again. It lasted a little longer but the CPU once again reached 60 degrees. Finally I set the fan to high and everything runs fine but it's MUCH louder.

PC Probe reports CPU temp (right now while browsing) at 43 degrees, MB temp at 37 degrees, and CPU HSF at 860rpm. This is with the chassis fan set to high. I have Q-Fan turned to optimal for CPU and Chassis fans but I don't think it changes anything with the chassis fan. I'm fairly sure that the large majority of the noise is coming from the chassis fan as everything was quiet when it was set to low. Is there anything I can do to make everything quieter while maintaining reasonable temperatures?

AndeeG

Post by AndeeG » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:25 pm

I just tried COD2 again with the chassis fan on full. Once again it hit 60 degrees after a few minutes. I would expect that my computer should be able to play games with stock settings and fan set to max and not overheat. This seems a little ridiculous.

Edit: I just tried playing with Q-Fan disabled and CPU rpms are up to around 2000 during gameplay. Temperatures were around 51 degrees. This is with the chassis fan on high. Is this a reasonable temperature?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:03 pm

Hello,

51C is pretty cool actually, and 60C isn't really that high. What is the CPU heatsink and fan?

replay0

Post by replay0 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:50 pm

Yeah, what is the heatsink and fan? The stock one? The stock one has thermal grease already in it, but if you have a 3rd party HSF, do you think the thermal grease was properly installed?

AZBrandon
Friend of SPCR

Post by AZBrandon » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:25 pm

AndeeG wrote:Edit: I just tried playing with Q-Fan disabled and CPU rpms are up to around 2000 during gameplay. Temperatures were around 51 degrees. This is with the chassis fan on high. Is this a reasonable temperature?
51 is more than totally fine. 60 isn't all that bad, but most folks are more comfortable not pushing the CPU temp over 55 or so. What's the noise floor and CPU temps like with the CPU fan turning 2000rpm and chassis fan on medium or low?

GHz

Post by GHz » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:29 pm

You could always try undervolting:
viewtopic.php?t=35532

If you run at 1.025v your CPU's TDP will be just 35W max. At that output, even the stock HSF won't have to spin up ;)

AndeeG

Post by AndeeG » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:58 pm

I'm running the stock HSF so thermal grease shouldn't be a problem. Noise with the fan on medium is acceptable and very quiet when its on low. If I had to describe it, it's more of a whooshing noise than anything else. The CPU fan is more of a high pitched annoying noise, but it still idn't too bad at 1750rpm, though it was inaudible at 850rpm.