E6600 48C at idle?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

wayner
Friend of SPCR

E6600 48C at idle?

Post by wayner » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:30 pm

I just built a new HTPC with an Intel Core Duo E6600 CPU that still has the Intel stock fan. The idle temp for the CPU is about 48C even with the cover off the case - that seems way too hot, doesn't it? Even my other PC with a P4 3.2 GHz chip that always ran hot is at 40C when idle.

Could there be a problem with the way the heat sink is seated? I plan to replace the stock cooler with a Thermalright Ultra 120 with a Nexus fan, but it shouldn't be this hot with the Intel fan should it?

NeoNSX

Post by NeoNSX » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:02 pm

Shouldn't this be in the CPU Cooling forum? :? Regardless i'll try to help.

Depending on your ambient temp 48'c idle definitely sounds hot, but not insanely high for the Intel stock cooler in a HTPC case.

I'm running my 6600 at 3GHz with a Ninja, the ambient temp is about ~18'c and the CPU is idling around 42/40'c with the case open. if that helps u at all.

There could definitely be a problem with HS placement but that typically means your CPU temp will run away up to 70'c+. Definitely get yourself that sexy Ultra 120... should cure things. :wink:

jackylman

Post by jackylman » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:40 pm

Sometimes, the temperature the motherboard reports isn't accurate. For example, my motherboard has a CPU temp sensor that's about 10C too high.

What program are you using to monitor temps? Try downloading Speedfan and using that because it can show you the actual core temps from the diodes on the CPU die. (You should have two CPU temps, one for each core).

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:15 am

My E6600 at stock is cooled by a SI-128 with a Nexus fan. Right now it's at 34C, reported by the Gigabyte Easytune5, which is probably close.
However, the Nexus is not yet spinning, because I didn't do any hard work and the room temperature is cool.
After the Nexus starts spinning, between 400 and 450 rpm, CPU temp drops to 24C. I can feel the SI-128 cool when I touch it.
The hottest part of my PC is the chipset heatsink(s), 44C at idle and 52C at 3D load. That's with the largest stock chipset cooler (965P-DQ6).
On the DQ6 the 'Crazy Cool' backplate hinders the mounting of the CPU cooler. The screws holding it must be unscrewed first by 1-2 mm (and then screwed back a bit).

wayner
Friend of SPCR

Post by wayner » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:01 am

Sorry for the delay in getting back. These temps are what I get from PC Probe II and Speedfan - they both seem to get exactly the same readings.

In Speedfan I cannot see a temperature monitor for each CPU - I only seem to get one temp monitor.

Under load my CPU seems to get up to about 69C where it levels off. The mobo temp doesn't really seem to go up - it stays at about 35C.

Once the CPU stops working the temp falls off extremely quickly back to about the mid 50s - we are talking 10 seconds or so.

Speedfan also reports an AUX temperature - this is at 119C!!! Any idea what that would be?

The CPU temp with no load now seems to be at about 55C - so things are getting worse. Hopefully when I get my Thermalright 120 things will look much better, but any advice in the meantime?

Will 69C hurt my CPU? I think 80C is the max, is it not?

edit: I have found the Intel Thermal Analysis Tool which gives temps for both CPUs. The temps it is giving is within 1C of the Asus PcProbe II tool that I have been using. I ran another test and after geting up to 67C after running full out for 8 minutes (doing video reencoding) the CPU temps dropped about 7C in only 10 seconds once the task was completed. Is that strange or normal?

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:26 am

You haven't told us what motherboard you're using, but since you mention PC Probe II, it must be an Asus.

On many Asus boards, the AUX temperature is not actually hooked up to anything and displays bogus values. On P5LD2, it routinely reads over 100C.

By default, the BIOS on Asus boards varies the CPU fan speed of the stock cooler to keep it quiet most of the time. This results in higher idle temperatures than with most aftermarket HS setups. 40C is not at all unusual.

It is normal for the on-chip CPU temperature to leap 5C in the first second of load, and another 5-10C after a few seconds. It drops more slowly, and 10 seconds to cool down is not unusual.

wayner
Friend of SPCR

Post by wayner » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:24 am

cmthomson wrote:You haven't told us what motherboard you're using, but since you mention PC Probe II, it must be an Asus.
Sorry - my mobo is an Asus P5B-E.

unibomber51

Post by unibomber51 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:17 pm

i got the same processor running on a p5w dh on an old ninja with a yate loon running at 600 rpm

i get 38 on asus probe and 52 on everest on idle

i think mine is a bit high since my idle was 45 on everest until i messed the airflow to plug in an old hard drive

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:07 pm

wayner wrote:
cmthomson wrote:You haven't told us what motherboard you're using, but since you mention PC Probe II, it must be an Asus.
Sorry - my mobo is an Asus P5B-E.
I'm not familiar with that particular motherboard. Sorry.