Ducting a XP 90?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

where?wolf

Ducting a XP 90?

Post by where?wolf » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:08 pm

Hi!

I wonder if it could be a good idea to duct a Thermalright XP 90. And connect the duct to one of the exhaust fans in my Antec P180B?

Anybody here done this to a XP 90 / XP120?

Results?

theyangster

Post by theyangster » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:04 pm

I did it here

It worked to an extent, but I got a ninja..so

what other components do you have installed?

AZBrandon
Friend of SPCR

Post by AZBrandon » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:31 pm

Depending on your setup and what temperatures you're comfortable with, you shouldn't need to duct it anyway. I have an A64 3700+ undervolted to 1.125v and an XP-90. I just tested it with the fan disconnected and removed entirely. Normally it's 31/41*C idle/load with the Nexus fan spinning at 800-1000rpm. With the ran removed entirely it ran at 35/56*C using CPUBurn to generate the load. 56*C is well within the envelope that processor should be capable of, especially when undervolted and running stock clockspeed.

Still, the Nexus 92mm fan is so quiet that I can't hear it over the two Tri-flows at 5v anyway. I suppose if I wanted to quiet down my P180 I'd need to replace the Tri-flows with something else first since they're currently the loudest thing in the computer right now.

where?wolf

Post by where?wolf » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:33 am

[quote="AZBrandon"]Depending on your setup and what temperatures you're comfortable with, you shouldn't need to duct it anyway. I have an A64 3700+ undervolted to 1.125v and an XP-90. I just tested it with the fan disconnected and removed entirely. Normally it's 31/41*C idle/load with the Nexus fan spinning at 800-1000rpm. With the ran removed entirely it ran at 35/56*C using CPUBurn to generate the load. 56*C is well within the envelope that processor should be capable of, especially when undervolted and running stock clockspeed.

Still, the Nexus 92mm fan is so quiet that I can't hear it over the two Tri-flows at 5v anyway. I suppose if I wanted to quiet down my P180 I'd need to replace the Tri-flows with something else first since they're currently the loudest thing in the computer right now.[/quote]

Hi!

I followed your setup and replaced the The 120mm Papst I had on the XP90, with a Nexus instead. And undervolted my cpu slightly.

And behold! I got rid of the small noises I had from that fan. And the idle / load temps where in a degree difference from my previous fan / heatsink config. Very nice!

I also discovered that the fans , connected to the Epox 9NPA + SLI, mobo runs about 130 rpm faster than they are rated. So I connected them to the psu's 4 pin molexes instead.

And when the fan noise dissapeared. I also found out. That the "wing on the side of the removable plastic fan mount. (Down in the lower tunnel) vibrates quite much. And also the mount itself do vibrate. Making low pitched "pumping", whoom, whoom, whoom noise. Probably amplified by the metal it's hooked up too. I found this out, by stopping one fan after another for a split second.

I guess the Papsts noises drowned that noise from this fan mount before.

So I noise damped it as much as I could. With lots of Blue tack ( Blue tack is a good vibration damper actually) And some foam strips, tucked in between the side of the fan and that wing. I allready had the fan mounted with rubber pins instead of screwes.

Many thanks for telling me your fan config. And about the under volting of the cpu! You saved me a lot of work, constructing a duct there!. And also for making me aware of the noisy plastic fan mount as a bonus.