Spire Fourier IV -- NSK2400/Fusion solution?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Cerberus

Spire Fourier IV -- NSK2400/Fusion solution?

Post by Cerberus » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:55 am

While poking around Dailytech's reviews pages, I found a couple reviews of a Spire cooler, called the Fourier IV. The stock 92mm LED fan looks cheese-tastic, but it's interesting that Spire came up with a raised horizontal tower HSF that mounts the fan below the fins; it's only 99mm tall, apparently. The fins look a bit too dense to work well passively, but perhaps with a 92mm Nexus, this could be a good little cooler...

Tweaknews review

nici

Post by nici » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:05 am

Looks ok, i wonder why i haven't seen similar heatsinks before.. Though i suppose you could do that with a Si-120 or 128 too with minor mods.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:57 am

With some mods, a cooler CPU, and a horizontal MB......might be ok. For a really quiet setup, the fan is in a poor location. The intake is too close to the MB, and the tight fins look to be too restrictive. The supplied fan is the give-away......needs to run 3500rpms to cool a hot processor(probably).

I'd try to install a thin fan (15/20mm), rather than the one they use. Needs some work/planning to function well/quietly. IMHO

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:45 am

nici wrote:Looks ok, i wonder why i haven't seen similar heatsinks before...
You just haven't been paying attention. This Raidmax unit allows for fan mounting on the top, the bottom, or both. When this product first appeared, it was the highest performing CPU air cooler available. A fantastically lousy and highly unreliable fan doomed it in the US of A. It's sold in the EU area under the Zaward and Verax names (with a different fan??). Verax square, I think it's called. Hartware.de reviewed it, back then.

Cerberus

Post by Cerberus » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:28 pm

Bluefront wrote:With some mods, a cooler CPU, and a horizontal MB......might be ok. For a really quiet setup, the fan is in a poor location. The intake is too close to the MB, and the tight fins look to be too restrictive. The supplied fan is the give-away......needs to run 3500rpms to cool a hot processor(probably).

I'd try to install a thin fan (15/20mm), rather than the one they use. Needs some work/planning to function well/quietly. IMHO
I skimmed the article and missed the part about the fan blowing upward. :oops: Do you suppose that swapping a quiet fan to blow downward would work well enough? Or would it be too close to the mainboard?

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:16 am

Any fan at even low speeds, will increase in noise when blown at a solid surface......from a close distance. Try it yourself. Take a running fan and slowly move it toward a wall. The noise gets worse the closer you get, and is worse still at higher rpms. Back-pressure at work.....

Sucking air close to a solid surface gives a similar noise increase.....this is a restriction effect. Blowing or sucking air through densely packed fins gives similar effects to a solid surface.

As to how a particular heatsink affects fan noise.....depends. Different fans don't always give the exact result. You'll probably have to try it yourself... :(