CPU Heatsink that is not big??????????????????

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

belkincp

CPU Heatsink that is not big??????????????????

Post by belkincp » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:34 pm

i AM LOOKING FOR A CPU THAT WOULD WORK WELL WITH A NEXUS MAKING AROUND 22 DBA AND THE HEATSINK NOT BEING THAT LARGE...NOT SMALL BY ANY MEANS..JSUT SMALLER than the ninja and infinity..?
Last edited by belkincp on Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

EndoSteel

Post by EndoSteel » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:33 pm

A fanless heatsink has to be big, otherwise it won't be able to dissipate much heat. Convectional heat exchange is very slow, so if you can't afford any forced airflow you have to compensate this with increased surface area.

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:41 pm

Pretty much any heatsink is going to either need to be large or to have a fan if it's going to cool a hot cpu. Really, going entirely fanless is going to be troublesome no matter how cool the cpu is.

What processor are you trying to cool?

A Centrino undervolted and probably underclocked should be a good choice for an all around; I haven't been keeping up with quiet cpus though. You can also go with a mini-itx epia.

There's the Zalman heatsink case and prebuilt hush pcs as well as some other cases if you're going for a regular computer.

Maybe watercooling is an option for you?

Gxcad
Patron of SPCR

Post by Gxcad » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:23 am

Like mentioned, a good fanless heatsink HAS to be big. Heatsink size and performance go almost hand in hand. The Ninja is IMHO one of the best choices possible for a fanless heatsink, but you're basically looking for size as well as liberally spaced fins. If there are tons and tons of tiny fins packed together, the heatsink will be better suited for forced air cooling (the tighter the spacing, the more powerful the forced air will have to be to be effective...in theory).

If you absolutely must have a smaller heatsink and go fanless, I'm sure it still can be done, but it won't be easy. The most obvious thing to start with is a low heat CPU. Get an efficient one (heat vs performance) and lower the voltage as much as possible, underclocking as necessary. This will reduce the heat a lot if you can pull it off. Secondly, get a heatsink with fin spacing pretty wide. Third, use a case with a hole in the top if possible. The P180 with the top vent unblocked is a good example. This allows heat to leave the case unobstructed through the natural path of hot air - upward. Fourth, if possible, have the fins lined up vertically so that heat can more easily move upward within the heatsink. These are listed in order of effectiveness IMHO.

At one point I did plan out a 100% passive system without watercooling using an undervolted athlon64 in a P180 with a ninja right under the 'spoiler' opening. I think it would work really well. IMHO, undervolting the CPU is a must because the whole point of fanless CPU cooling is to have a 100% fanless system. With no forced air in your case, any modern CPU with stock voltage will most likely fry even with a cold ambient temperature (VIA cpu's might fare better). If you do have forced case airflow, then why bother fanlessly cooling your cpu, the whole point of fanlessly cooling your CPU is for the 0db cooling it provides. 0db CPU cooling is pointless if you use fans to circulate air into your case, because these fans will make noise even if they are very quiet fans. Why not just focus the air on the cpu, one of the main hot spots within your case, if you are going to use fans at all? But I digress...

I would suggest the old Zalman 'flower' style heatsinks. They might work ok without getting TOO big...

Use copper if you can. Size vs effectiveness, copper will beat aluminum, thought it is my belief that the difference will not be too big.

Now if you want weight vs effectiveness, then I believe aluminum bests copper. But you don't need to worry about that if you're going for small size.

-Ken

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:58 am

You can use a duct to connect the heatsink to the case exhaust

example

I don't know enough about what your goals and materials are to say much more.

Aris

Post by Aris » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:33 am

Step 1. Turn off your caps lock key

Thermalright Ultra-90

It would really depend on what CPU you chose to use this with as to how loud your nexus fan would have to be to keep it cool.

I have this heatsink on a Pentium-M 1.73ghz CPU with a nexus 92mm fan which is undervolted to the point where i couldnt percieve a difference between it being off or on (inaudible imo)

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:47 pm

Scythe,Thermalright and Aerocool have some good HS's smaller than a Ninja. Not sure about the closed,no fans case...I guess there is a PSU fan?

You want well thought out paths for air in and air out or the heat builds up. Some people really overdo the total case-PSU fans. Now-with powerful cpu's that run so cool,it's pretty easy to get very quiet.

nici

Post by nici » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:37 pm

Is this guy being serious?

EASIEST Installation CPU Heatsinks???

How loud is 22 Decibels?

BEST Fanless CPU Heatsink?

If you are being serious, why not just post one thread in Newcomers Briefing Room? Right now im thinking hyperactive squirrel running on a mix of ritalin and speed.