Extra HSF Mounts?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aegan

Extra HSF Mounts?

Post by aegan » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:23 am

Say you buy a Scythe Ninja, or a Thermalright SI-128 to cool your rig. It comes with all kinds of mounts - 775, 478, K8, AM2, you name it. You apply the AS5, mount the HSF, and live happily thereafter.

What do you do with the other mounts? Do you throw them away or do you keep them in case you decide to switch to a different cpu/motherboard later?

I've built a fair amount of computers recently, and I'm not sure what to do with all these extra mounts that I probably will never use. Oh, and a couple of Intel stock HSFs too.

Any ideas?

- bernard

J. Sparrow

Post by J. Sparrow » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:33 am

If you have backplates, they may make for good coasters :D

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:02 pm

I preserve all heatsink packages. Manuals and mounts I preserve in those packages in closet just in case. If I change system or get new cooler and sell old one. I change pretty often my HSF in pursue of silence. And I take old ones to local vendor who sells also second hand products.

jedster

Post by jedster » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:18 pm

I just used some extra parts from a zalman to fashion myself a bolt-through mount for the ninja rev b. I also used parts from the scythe universal retention kit.

Here's what I did:

1) I broke the push pins off the Scythe LGA775 bracket and then attached it the ninja
2) I then put the backplate for the scythe kit on the mobo, then put long screws through the backplate, from the bottom of the mobo to the top.
3) I then placed the mobo on a flat surface and put washers/spacers onto each of the four long screws.
4) I then seated the Ninja, taking care to make sure the screws went through the holes previously holding the push pin
5) I then took 4 cylinders from a zalman HS kit which had holes drilled inthem for screws and fastened the heatsink to the mobo. Basically they served as very big nuts; their size made them similar to thumbscrews and made them very easy to work with
6) I secured everything by gripping each of the thumbscrew-like nuts with pliers and tightening the screws on the back of the board.
7) Believe me when i say that you've never seen a ninja rev b fight this tightly on an lga775 socket cpu!

I've also used the 448 brackets from the scythe kit to fashion a bolt-through mount for the SI-128. This was even easier. It starts out the same way way, but once you get the 448 brackets threaded, you just screw the SI-128 on from the back. For me it was much easier than screwing around with the pushpins; i could never get enough pressure on them because the HS was so large.

Moral of the story: keep the parts, be a pack rat. When you least expect it, you'll find a use!

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:51 am

jedster wrote: Moral of the story: keep the parts, be a pack rat. When you least expect it, you'll find a use!
I could not agree more with you.