Ninja cooling/mounting problem??

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

butters

Post by butters » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:43 am

Well, there's this mod, which also works for the Ninja:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... p?t=117054

The lapping is optional, although the springs seem like a good idea. You can get springs from mcmaster.com if you can't find them at your hardware shop. I guess 3/6" OD, 0.035" wire thickness is what you want for the springs. This gives 7 lbs. of load fully compressed, which seems like the ballpark of how much force you want to apply. The guide says the mobo will start to bend before the springs bottom out, but he doesn't tell what specs his springs had. I haven't done this yet, so YMMV.

Delta_42
-- Vendor --

Another poor Ninja

Post by Delta_42 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:33 am

Here's another 'me too' for a poorly mounting Ninja. I've just exchanged my 1-week old Ninja rev.B for a Noctua NH U12-F. My idle temps have dropped from 50 to 33, load temps from 65-70 down to 50.

The push-pin mounts are far too unreliable for mounting a HSF of the size and weight of the Ninja in a tower case.

The Noctua is a quality piece of kit, it is the second product from them I've bought in the space of a week, the other being the NH U6 northbridge cooler which is also excellent (although I'm actually using it to cool a C2D T7200 mobile CPU... see my HTPC CPU cooling thread in this forum)

vizzle

Post by vizzle » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:42 pm

I found an interesting thread here:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1172321

It seems someone received a new type of mounting bracket for the scythe ninja?

I see no mention of it on Scythe's website though. Anyone else know about this?

I wonder if the bracket will be sold separately at some point?

Delta_42
-- Vendor --

Post by Delta_42 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:51 pm

It looks like they've slightly modified the bracket to help clear capacitors on the board, but there is still the fundamental flaw that the heatsink is just too big and heavy to be mounted properly with the push-pin mounting.

o2brew

Post by o2brew » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:53 pm

I ended up mounting my Ninja rev B similar to the link that Butters posted. For about $8 shipped I got this http://www.petrastechshop.com/dadencpuwamo.html

Using the push pins I was getting idle temps of 50C. After this little mod I'm idling at 36 and only 46 under full load. And this is without replacing the TIM. Just pulled it off and remounted with the screws.

The screws are a bit long in that kit, so it was a bit tricky getting everything put together. I had to hold the heatsink up so that I could fit the washers and springs over the screws without hitting the fins, then screw everything down a little at a time as I lowered it on.

I'm sure that most parts could be found at Home Depot or the like, but I didn't have the time or inclination to go looking.

Jumper

Post by Jumper » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:37 pm

Update - I haven't remounted my Ninja yet, but I did make a prototype duct to the rear case fan using some manilla folders. I am now maintaining the same temp as before with the CPU fan off.

So one less fan, which is always a good thing.

One thing I noticed looking around at reviews of the HR-01 is that on a couple sites where the reviewed the AMD stock X2 heatpipe cooler alongside several of these expensive tower coolers, the AMD cooler did better at load.

So in my case, with an original Toledo X2-4200 on S939, I think I may have just been spoiled by the very very good stock cooler. :roll:

hexen

Post by hexen » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:08 am

this is a very informative thread, i have read it at least twice.

even though before i have read it the first time i bought a scythe ninja revB so i was a bit dissapointed to find out it has a poor mounting mechanism AFTER i bought it, but thats murphy's law.

Maelwys have you mounted your ninja revB with the stock mounting/push pins?
or did u mod it like the link butters posted?

im planning on building a system based on: E6600(no oc), P5B-E, P150/neoHE430, and passive ninja....
and i was wondering if anyone here has replaced the ninja pushpins with screws (like in butters' link) and if the springs are necessary