Fans for Noctua nh-u12F

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

revenant

Fans for Noctua nh-u12F

Post by revenant » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:23 am

Hey!

I recently bought a Noctua nh-u12F and got a nf-s12-1200 with it. After reading some of the posts in various threads on this forum, I'm beginning to question its cooling capability.
I can get 2 nexus 120mm RealSilent (Black & white ed) really cheap in order to replace the noctua fan and use the Noctua as rear exhaust. Currently I'm using a Papst FGL (something 26DB @900rpm) as rear exhaust in my Antec Solo. Would this improve my case airflow? If I get the nexus fans I will also get a Zalman fancontroller ZM something (the one with 6 channels). Thx in advance!

Sebastian

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:40 am

I am not sure if that improve case air flow any, but nexus is quieter than Papst, so you would get same air flow more quiet. How ever, with Noctua tower, you need to cut another nexuses corners by using detailed instructions: viewtopic.php?t=18368. Since you can't use closed corner fans unless you cut corners with standard Noctua clips or use alternative method of attaching fan, like elastic band or zip ties.

derekchinese

Post by derekchinese » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:49 am

Did you compare the noctua to the papst?

Based on the heatsinks design--widely spread out fins--the noctua fan would seem like the right match. The noctua heatsink probably is probably cooled better by the noctua then by a nexus. The noctua will put out more airflow but at a lower static pressure, the nexus will put out less airflow but at a higher static pressure. Since the noctua heatsinks probably don't need a high static pressure but more airflow, the noctua is probably your best bet.

Derek

revenant

Post by revenant » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:09 pm

Ah, alright. But the question was rather if 2 nexus 120mm's (undervolted) and the noctua @800rpm would be a better cooling solution than the noctua @800rpm and a nexus 120mm (undervolted) as rear exhaust. I am currently using a zalman 92mm @ 5v as intake fan, and I was thinking which would be the better choise as replacement. Either 2*92mm nexus real silent (undervolted) or 2*92mm Cooltek 12db (1000rpm specced). The coolteks are cheaper, but I can't really find a review on them.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:36 pm

AFAIK Cooltek fans all use ball bearings and Nexii use sleeve bearings. If you know fans, that answers your questions. If you don't know fans, stay away from ball bearings if noise is a concern. :wink:

revenant

Post by revenant » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:42 pm

No, the coolteks use el-bearing technology, not ball bearing.
http://www.evercool.com.tw/products/el_bear.htm

dcuccia

Post by dcuccia » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:33 pm

The guys at Anandtech recommended a second fan for extra cooling:

http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/sh ... i=2976&p=9

Would a Nexus 120mm cause problems being not matched in airflow?

mcoleg

Post by mcoleg » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:06 pm

2-3C difference is hardly a good reason to use 2 fans... seems like you can get away with using noctua fan without worrying too much.

derekchinese

Post by derekchinese » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:36 pm

revenant, you can't get Yate Loon? Yate Loons are OEM versions of the Nexus, but at stock they have a higher RPM. They are much cheaper. At the price, you could probably buy 10 yate loons for the price of 2 nexus's. If you can get the yate loons and just test for the best configuration

Derek

revenant

Post by revenant » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:14 am

Hey!

Thx for the answers! No, I couldn't find any reseller which stocked Yate Loons in Sweden. However, I've now purchased 2*120mm Nexus Real Silent (Black and white Ed.), which I got really cheap at 52SEK (approximately 8USD).

Question is, in my Antec Solo, which config would get the best performance out of a: Noctua nh-u12f (mounted using 90-degree brackets, for most effective exhaust), 2*120mm nexus, 1*120mm Nf-s1200 @ULNA and a Papst 120 mm 4400FGL (26DB @900-960rpm).

Which would be ideal? Would mounting nf-1200 + nexus on the cpu cooler be efficient, or would the different airflow matter? Also, hpw would you rate the Papst fan? Just by a highly unprofessional comparison between the nexus and the Papst, the papst felt stronger while at lower rpm. The nexus are quiet enough while at 12V. But I have a Zalman fan controller installed, so controlling the fan speeds wont be a problem. Thx in advance, guys!

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:45 am

I'd lean personally 2x Nexus combination. Although as for HSF I'd not use that much sleeve bearing fan. NeilBlanchard has recomended NCB fan and I concure with that judgement. As swede, you should try to look Lieberman 120mm NCB fan from local webstores etc. You need to use corner cutting for it or Nexuses to Mount it Noctuas tower while using Noctua's clips. Although you can attach Nexus or NCB fan with elastic band without any modification.

Moogles

Post by Moogles » Thu May 24, 2007 8:41 am

Kinda off topic but maybe one of you would be willing to answer my question anyway. :) Does anyone know how much clearance there is between the base of the unit (the copper plate that makes contact with the CPU) and the first fin of the heatsink? I've seen the NH-U12F on a F-I90HD and it fits. My motherboard has a very similar layout, but I think the northbridge heatsink might be slightly taller.

Thanks. :)

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Thu May 24, 2007 9:58 am

mcoleg wrote:2-3C difference is hardly a good reason to use 2 fans... seems like you can get away with using noctua fan without worrying too much.
It took 7 posts to get words of wisdom. Revenant, I suggest you heed to them.

murtoz

Post by murtoz » Thu May 24, 2007 12:04 pm

Erssa wrote:
mcoleg wrote:2-3C difference is hardly a good reason to use 2 fans... seems like you can get away with using noctua fan without worrying too much.
It took 7 posts to get words of wisdom. Revenant, I suggest you heed to them.
Agreed! I have this noctua, ducted with no intake/exhaust fans, and it keeps my QX6700@stock perfectly stable when fully stressing it for several hours using intel TAT. Just stick with the noctua, but duct it!

Moogles wrote:Does anyone know how much clearance there is between the base of the unit (the copper plate that makes contact with the CPU) and the first fin of the heatsink?
According to Noctua themselves, 27.5mm.

Moogles

Post by Moogles » Thu May 24, 2007 1:55 pm

Thanks Murtoz. :)