a simple bit of string to help Ninja Rev. B?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dentaku

a simple bit of string to help Ninja Rev. B?

Post by dentaku » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:17 am

I remember somebody writing that if they pushed on their Scythe Ninja mounted with the plastic pushpins the temperature would go down. This obviously made it seem like the weight of the cooler was basically "levering" it away from the top part of the CPU.

SO: I was wondering?
Has anyone ever tried simply using a bit of string to attach the top of the cooler to the lid of the case? This would take away lots of the strain being put on the top 2 plastic pins (which Intel never meant them to do) because the string is taking up a large percentage of the weight.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:27 am

Hello,

It sounds like an experiment is called for. Any volunteers?

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:55 am

supposedly-the last push pin tend to not fully seat without quite an effort...meaning having the mobo out of the case...which negates the point of the push pins.

string,or wire,which can be twisted to add some tension,helps compensate for a tall tower tendancy to lean-which also is good if the puter's getting moved much,takes stress off the mobo.

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:15 am

ronrem wrote:string,or wire,which can be twisted to add some tension,helps compensate for a tall tower tendancy to lean-which also is good if the puter's getting moved much,takes stress off the mobo.
Luckily K8 -motherboards have backplates, so they don't suffer from this.

dentaku

Post by dentaku » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:17 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hello,

It sounds like an experiment is called for. Any volunteers?
I wish I could try it myself but I've taken so long choosing parts for my new computer that I haven't built it yet :)
A little bit of wire attached to the top "blowhole" fan of a P182 should do the job.

I've heard that Intel is dropping CPU prices very soon and that Nvidia cards are dropping too when the new crop of DX10 cards get released to the public so maybe it's good that I've procrastinated.