Scythe Ninja protective sticker caused wierd imprint

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dentaku

Scythe Ninja protective sticker caused wierd imprint

Post by dentaku » Tue May 29, 2007 5:25 pm

My new Scythe Ninja came with a clear blue plastic protective sticker over the copper plate and now that I took it off I can see an "image" of it plus a few spots that look less tarnished on it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v160/ ... G_9329.jpg

Has anyone else seen this happen?
I'm assuming it doesn't really matter considering it's going to be covered in Arctic Silver.

Mikey
Friend of SPCR

Post by Mikey » Tue May 29, 2007 7:22 pm

Might be just the angle.. but i would swear that looks like the base is covered in ... glue or something ..

?

It doesn't look like bare metal to me.

derekchinese

Post by derekchinese » Tue May 29, 2007 9:13 pm

Try cleaning it off. Grab some q-tips and some isopryl alcohol (99% is prefered). This may help.

You should always use isopryl to clean the surfaces of the heatsink base and the top of the processor before applying AS5 for best results.

Derek

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Wed May 30, 2007 12:01 am

Hi, a while ago I got some "ArctiClean". I thought it was a bit of a gimmick but it works really well for cleaning up thermal paste. Not to mention those thermal pad things and other marks. Has nice citrus smell too!
What ever method you choose give your Ninja a good clean before fitting is recommended. I used to use washing up liquid, always seamed ok, did rinse thoroughly though.
Seb

dentaku

Post by dentaku » Wed May 30, 2007 2:51 am

derekchinese wrote:Try cleaning it off. Grab some q-tips and some isopryl alcohol (99% is prefered). This may help.

You should always use isopryl to clean the surfaces of the heatsink base and the top of the processor before applying AS5 for best results.

Derek
I tried 99% isopropyl alcohol and nothing happened.
It looks like a pattern of tarnished and not tarnished areas.

dentaku

hmm, it could be a film, how would I clean it

Post by dentaku » Wed May 30, 2007 3:02 am

Mikey wrote:Might be just the angle.. but i would swear that looks like the base is covered in ... glue or something ..

?

It doesn't look like bare metal to me.
Hmmm... I just looked at it again in sunlight (I only looked at it at night) and it might be a film. It also looks like just different coloured metal depending on where the protective sticker was touching and of course where the writing was because I can see an image of that warning label.

That's pretty dumb of them to do that.
I guess I'm going to have to use something that can disolve the stickyness if it IS a film?
99% isopropyl is doing nothing.
Last edited by dentaku on Wed May 30, 2007 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Evil

Re: Hey, it IS a film!

Post by Mr Evil » Wed May 30, 2007 3:11 am

dentaku wrote:...I guess I'm going to have to use something that can disolve the stickyness?
Is there actually glue left behind? If it's just tarnish then don't worry about it, it's not going to affect heat transfer as long as the surface is still flat.

dentaku

Re: Hey, it IS a film!

Post by dentaku » Wed May 30, 2007 3:14 am

Mr Evil wrote:
dentaku wrote:...I guess I'm going to have to use something that can disolve the stickyness?
Is there actually glue left behind? If it's just tarnish then don't worry about it, it's not going to affect heat transfer as long as the surface is still flat.
HA! I was editing my previous panicky post at the same time you where writing yours. It's looks more like discolouration to me. This "film" doesn't wash off and the base does look nice and flat anyway so I guess it has more to do with exposure to light and air that any kind of stickiness.

dentaku

Post by dentaku » Wed May 30, 2007 3:36 am

I just did a little experiment. I touched the tiniest amount of silvo to the edge of the base where the heatspreader doesn't even touch and the colour got lighter, then I washed it off with 99% isopropyl just in case that stuff eats copper over time ;)

The discolouration is much worse along the edges where it was exposed to more air anyway.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Wed May 30, 2007 5:13 am

You can try vinegar and salt to remove some of the oxidation if you think it's going to make a difference, but I think you'd just be wasting your time (unless it's really a thick layer). Make sure you rinse the part off with distilled water after you're done.