How hot should an E6700 get Idle/Full

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dentaku

How hot should an E6700 get Idle/Full

Post by dentaku » Thu May 31, 2007 6:35 pm

I put together a new system last night with an Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi/E6700/Arctic Silver/Ninja Rev. B in a P182. With the top and rear Antec fans running at LOW (they're too loud otherwise) and the useless bottom fan removed PLUS the Scythe fan that came with the hestsink spinning at around 1110RPM, Speedfan tells me this
IDLE temp around 39 to 41 degrees
both cores sat 100% running Orthos it got to 68-69 degrees after 3 minutes or so then i stopped it because I don't know what I'm doing and didn't want to mess with it any longer :)

Asus PC-ProbeII is set to give an alarm at 60 degrees CPU temp.
I've read the E6xxx processors are set to shut down at 85 degrees and that they start throttling down to slower speeds around 61 degrees.
Just running the Nvidia GeoForms screensaver makes the Pc-ProbeII alarm go off after a while unless I remove the side panel of the P182.

I ran Speedfan while playing Toca Race Driver 3 and the new DIRT demo and the CPU temp never quite reached 60. The graph just barely reached it sometimes but mostly stayed around 55.

QUESTION?
Could this mean that during the games the CPU was slowing itself down when it reached 60 or that it really doesn't get hotter than that even while playing games at high resolution?
I mean Orthos got it to get hotter than 60.

By the way, I am using a borrowed passive GeForce 7300GT at the moment because my 8800GTS is backordered.

RBBOT

Post by RBBOT » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:39 am

This article has a temperature guide for the Core 2 Duo family and details about the differences that crop up when measureing the temperature at different places.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware ... 21745.html

I'm interested how you get on with this as I practically the same kit on back order (awaiting the arrival of 2Gb DIMMS) except I have a an E6600.

WR304

Post by WR304 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:30 am

From the second page of the tomshardware link:

"...Intel's Thermal Junction Maximum spec (Tj max) 85c shutdown limit. 80c is overtemp, where TAT reaches redline and CPU throttling begins, 75c is hot, 70c is warm, and 65c is safe. The dual Tjunction sensors in each individual core, is how core temps are measured. These are the dual core temps displayed by TAT, and by Core Temp."

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware ... sc-25.html

If you're looking at Core2Duo temperatures every program seems to display different temperatures.

Coretemp is probably one of the safest ones to use. :)

http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/

Your CPU temperatures are affected by how hot your room is. In summer the PC temperatures will be a lot higher than during the winter for example.

If you have a hot graphics card such as an 8800GTS this can also push up temperatures in the rest of the case.

At a room temperature of 20c approx my E6700 CPU (6*300, 1.8ghz using Intel Speedstep EIST) in a Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard idles at 38-39c.

Under 100% (10*300, 3ghz) load on both cores (using Intel TAT tool) it goes up to 68-69c but stays at that level fairly consistently.

In normal use (gaming etc) it generally only gets up to 60c or so.

That's in an Antec Solo case with passive Scythe Ninja and Scythe SFF21D 800rpm case fan.

Temperatures can vary quite a lot between CPUs that are theoretically identical though. Newer revisions are often more power efficient.

My brother's E6700 CPU (6*300, 1.8ghz using Intel Speedstep EIST) in a Asus P5K (non Deluxe) motherboard with passive Scythe Ninja, Scythe SFF21D 800rpm case fan and Antec Sonata I case idles at 27c.

Both PCs are in the same room and the temperatures both measured with the same version of Core Temp.

The big advantage of the Asus P5K motherboard is that the Scythe Ninja cooler is virtually touching the exhaust fan. :)

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:14 pm

First of all, make sure that it is the core temperatures that you are measuring. These are reported by TAT, the latest SpeedFan, Everest Ultimate, and RMClock (and probably others). But not by Probe II, which reports a sensor on the motherboard near the CPU.

Second, the DTS value (digital temperature sensor) that is reported as "core temperature" by these programs is not an actual temperature. It is a negative number relative to the throttling temperature of the particular chip (think of this as "headroom"). The various programs have built in estimates of the throttling temperatures that range (in my experience) from 83 to 97 C. The most commonly accepted value is 85C.

So if you are seeing core temperatures of 70C, you have about 15C of headroom before throttling. This is not the shutdown temperature, which is considerably higher. I have never observed a C2D shutdown, even with improperly installed heat sinks. Throttling reduces the power consumption so radically that shutdown is unlikely.

dentaku

Post by dentaku » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:23 pm

cmthomson wrote:First of all, make sure that it is the core temperatures that you are measuring. These are reported by TAT, the latest SpeedFan, Everest Ultimate, and RMClock (and probably others). But not by Probe II, which reports a sensor on the motherboard near the CPU.
Yup, I've noticed that ProbeII is pretty useless at measuring temperatures.
I'm using Speedfan but I think I'm going to try TAT too.

jazzforce

Post by jazzforce » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:44 am

Guys here's my temps @ 8x425 Orthos Blend loaded and post Orthos Idle -

Idle:

Load:

This is temps from my p5k-dlx/e6600 in a lian li pc-60 on it's side with the side off. Side on it idles up about 8c higher because I have an older case with 80mm fan holes. I'm modding the case for better airflow, adding 4 120mm holes! If you want to OC you gotta do it breezy.

Doing some experimentation with airflow in your case is huge. Like the guys above said if you have an 8800gts like I do, case temp gets high. I've got a pretty good flow setup for the guts (cpu/nb/ram/cpu) with 2 120mm fans. I can post pics of that config if anyone's interested. You really need one fan blowing down and one out.

The images will also show you different temp tools and how they differ. It's important to use several to get confirmation. All of the tools can be flaky at times but not all at once.

jazzforce

Post by jazzforce » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:53 am

Another thing, IMO you don't want to let CPU temps get up above 60c even running Orthos. Just don't do that. You see a lot of overclockers do that but remember that a lot of those guys are hobbyists and the parts to them are for fun and somewhat disposable. Reel it in and keep things cool.

Edit - I know I'm clocked up in my screens and that a lot of people here aren't into that, just realize how cool it is at that speed. I tune my bios and cooling depending on what I'll be doing. At stock with fans on low this thing is a dead quiet ice box. If I want to game or design I jack it up. If I really want quiet I use one of my Asus laptops which kick much ass too.

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:23 pm

jazzforce wrote:Another thing, IMO you don't want to let CPU temps get up above 60c even running Orthos. Just don't do that. You see a lot of overclockers do that but remember that a lot of those guys are hobbyists and the parts to them are for fun and somewhat disposable. Reel it in and keep things cool.
Bah! CPUs are disposable. They double (or more) in performance every couple of years, and the software keeps getting bigger and slower. So why would you care if a particular CPU only lasts 5 years instead of 10? And by the way, you're almost certainly going to get at least 5 years out of a C2D even at 70C. And anyway, a 6600 only costs $230...

Now I do admit to being an overclocker, although I'm not in the crowd that burns through CPUs and memory sticks in 2 weeks. Keeping your C2D below 70 on average and 80 under full load is fine, and will result in a perfectly acceptable lifetime.

jazzforce

Post by jazzforce » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:56 pm

cmthomson wrote:
jazzforce wrote:Another thing, IMO you don't want to let CPU temps get up above 60c even running Orthos. Just don't do that. You see a lot of overclockers do that but remember that a lot of those guys are hobbyists and the parts to them are for fun and somewhat disposable. Reel it in and keep things cool.
Bah! CPUs are disposable. They double (or more) in performance every couple of years, and the software keeps getting bigger and slower. So why would you care if a particular CPU only lasts 5 years instead of 10? And by the way, you're almost certainly going to get at least 5 years out of a C2D even at 70C. And anyway, a 6600 only costs $230...

Now I do admit to being an overclocker, although I'm not in the crowd that burns through CPUs and memory sticks in 2 weeks. Keeping your C2D below 70 on average and 80 under full load is fine, and will result in a perfectly acceptable lifetime.
Hey man I overclock too did you look at my screen? I just advise people to be cautious, heat is the enemy.

BIONIC_EARS

Post by BIONIC_EARS » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:50 pm

Jazzforce, I'm amazed at how cool your motherboard temp is. I'd like to see pics of your setup if you got them. :)

lor77

Post by lor77 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:35 am

Hello jazzforce
I'm also intrested in some pics.

romi

Post by romi » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:47 pm

hey Jazz im interested in your case setup, pics would be awsome! i have a pc60 and somewhat of a heating issue.. wondering if i should mod the case or just buy a new one

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by smilingcrow » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:32 am

That’s ultra conservative as it’s at least 25C below the point at which Intel has set the CPU to throttle itself. A retail CPU has a three year warranty and if it fails outside the warranty period just ask yourself how much will it cost to replace a three year old CPU via eBay?