Scythe Ninja Installation - too close?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dvenardos

Scythe Ninja Installation - too close?

Post by dvenardos » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:30 pm

I am installing the Scythe Ninja Revision B on the ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard. There is only a couple mm clearance between the copper pipe on the Ninja and one of the capacitors (? small cylindrical thing). Does anyone know if this will cause a problem?

Thanks

dvenardos

Post by dvenardos » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:58 pm

Well, I'm guessing that since the other side butts up right next to the copper fins of the motherboard heatsink, that it will probably be okay...

Other people with Ninja installation problems, was it just because it was physically obstructed?
Last edited by dvenardos on Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:07 pm

Hello,

If it isn't touching the capacitors, then it will be fine. The heatpipes don't get hot to the touch at the point. If it is contacting the northbridge HS on the other side, you want to assure yourself that this isn't affecting the contact with the CPU.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:54 pm

Yeah.....if you have any clearance at all, you're in better shape than many people, myself included. In a perfect setup, all the hot components would be far away from each other, but since air is poor heat conductor, your two mm is fine.

Now if something fails tomorrow...don't blame us. :lol:

dvenardos

Post by dvenardos » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:03 am

No flaming, I promise :wink:

Thanks for all the feedback, I feel much better now.

This is my first build and I didn't realize quite how BIG the Ninja is. I ended up being lucky that it fit and I am hoping that it will be cool enough fanless on my 65W AMD X2 4200, because the fan won't fit in the Antec P150 - you must REALLY need a wide case to run it with the fan.

panda-R

Post by panda-R » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:54 am

dvenardos wrote:
No flaming, I promise :wink:

Thanks for all the feedback, I feel much better now.

This is my first build and I didn't realize quite how BIG the Ninja is. I ended up being lucky that it fit and I am hoping that it will be cool enough fanless on my 65W AMD X2 4200, because the fan won't fit in the Antec P150 - you must REALLY need a wide case to run it with the fan.
no problems for me fitting the ninja + fan in a P150, i think it depends on the location of the CPU socket because it's pretty close to the reinformance bar and PSU.

crispyfish

Post by crispyfish » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:20 pm

dvenardos wrote:the fan won't fit in the Antec P150 - you must REALLY need a wide case to run it with the fan.
This part confuses me -- I have a Ninja with a fan running in my Solo, which is essentially the same case. Do you have a picture to show where the clearance issue is?

(P.S. You do realize you can place the fan on any of the 4 sides, right?)

dvenardos

Post by dvenardos » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:16 pm

crispyfish wrote:(P.S. You do realize you can place the fan on any of the 4 sides, right?)
Ahh, I see I read that part of the directions too quickly as I wanted to try passive first.
Yes, it will fit with the option of placing the fan on any of the four sides. :oops:

albert

Post by albert » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:23 am

Hi all, new here though I've been using the site for research for a bit.

I've got the same problem as dvenardos but more so. The heat pipe actually touches one of the capacitors, but doesn't push it out of line. Do I need to worry about heat damage? (It's actually the M2NVM-PV, but hey close enough).

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:42 am

Hello,

The surfaces of the heatpipes don't get very hot -- the heat is carried by the fluid/vapor inside the pipes, and it gets dissipated by the fins. After the vapor cools and becomes a fluid again, it actually "wicks" back to the base along the walls of the pipe -- so they actually are quite cool to the touch.

No worries!

albert

Post by albert » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:39 am

Excellent. Thanks.