Quiet OC'ed quad possible?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Uhuevil

Quiet OC'ed quad possible?

Post by Uhuevil » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:58 pm

Hi everyone. First off, I stumbled upon this forum a couple days ago, and haven't stopped reading yet :P. You all seem to have a great wealth of knowledge, and I'm now caught up in the idea of a quiet and cool PC. Well, maybe add powerful in there as well! :twisted:

As the subject states, I would like to know if it is possible to cool a Q6600 quietly, specifically when overclocked. With the prices dropping on July 22nd, and the cooler revision of the chip also arriving around the same time running at 95W, is this feasible? What OC could you get on air while still being relatively quiet from 2-3 feet away?

From what I've read on the forum, the best HS would be the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme with a 120mm fan on it. The Antec solo case gets recommended here a great deal, so would that work for this, or would a larger case with more exhaust fans be required?

I'm debating between the quad or the E6750. In all honestly, I don't use many multithreaded apps right now, but since I like to hold on to my computer for 3-3.5 years, I would like to be as future-proof as possible. The E6750 could be OCed much higher than the quad core with less heat (and cheaper...), especially if the quad is left at its stock speed of 2.4GHz for heat production reasons. Advice and comments are most welcome!

Redzo

Post by Redzo » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:02 am

You are on the right track. Ultra Xtreme or maybe THIS would be fine choice along with P182 since is bigger and will help you cope with additional heat (overclocking and maybe powerfull GPU?) ?

I would go with some high quality fans, like Nexus or S-FDB based fans or Noctua.
Together with some quiet HD's (Samsung is my favorite 3.5 Sata brand).
and you can have quiet, high power rig. ;-)
Read the forums, there is a wealth of info and pics and whatnot here :D

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:40 am

I had a slight (10%) overclocked prescott cooled by my Ninja with a Scythe S-Flex 1200rpm fan at 11V during games and 5V in idle.
The prescots beats every cpu when it comes to high heat :P

continuum
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by continuum » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:27 am

if you want top of the line, the Ultra-120 Extreme is one of the choices. If you're not all that sensitive to noise, a Nexus 120mm on it at 12v gives excellent performance. For even lower noise, tho, a Scythe Ninja has a lower-resistance design and should work better when low noise is a higher priority than extreme performance.