High Opty 180 temps... Should I upgrade my cooling?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jubrany

High Opty 180 temps... Should I upgrade my cooling?

Post by jubrany » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:33 pm

I tried reseating the HSF and the temps stayed the same. I highly doubt I am doing anything wrong because my 3200+ was mounted the same way and the temps were ~42-44C at load.

the processor IHS looks flat, i used a ruler to check how flat it was. Nothing seems out of the ordinary.

I dropped the voltage from 1.35 to 1.3v and that helped a bit. System remains stable at this lower voltage.

Do I need to get a better cooler? Will a thermalright ultra extreme even help me in this scenario?

I am thinking of adding a using the top fan on the P182 to try to get some more heat out of the case. Right now the top fan chamber is sealed the case is using 1 rear exhaust, 1 mid chamber and 1 lower chamber fan (all Sflex D).

running the SFlex E at 11v is too loud (1050rpm) and hardly helps temps at all.

Any advice is appreciated.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:49 pm

As ultra exceeds all other coolers in LGA775 socket, its merely good in s939 (LGA775's 4 point screw attachment vs. K8's 2 point does make difference in pressure). Ninja is far better choice for K8 than Ultra Extreme. Maybe your temperature sensor is bit off. That is damn high temperature.

Of course, when you changed from Athlon 64-bit to Opteron, did you also changed AMD's processor driver from 64-bits to Opteron's? Since Opteron's if I recall right, has AMD PowerNow! instead Cool'N'Quiet. So using AMD 64-bits driver wouldn't allow your processor to get in power saving mode but it would be full power all the time.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:49 pm

you should check the IHS with a razor, maybe its a big bulge.

do you have a pic of the insides?

buzzlightyear

Post by buzzlightyear » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:46 pm

My Operton 165 at stock 1.35v, overclocked to 2.7ghz, idles at 40-44c using Ninja with 900rpm fan. That's inside a Sonata with NO case fan... just the PSU fan.

SOmething is not right with the contact between and heatsink and the CPU.

jubrany

Post by jubrany » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:38 pm

I didn't install the CnQ driver for my A64 and didn't install the PowerNow! driver either.

I have power now disabled in the BIOS and I only have the dual core optimizer installed.

pic of the processor... seems flat to me...

pic of my system setup

I am thinking of bending the metal piece that presses down on the HSF to try to increase the pressure on the IHS, because the HSF wiggles left and right quite easily (no up/down wiggling) until the AS5 breaks in (and then it no longer wiggles).

Max Slowik

Post by Max Slowik » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:48 pm

Those temperatures are somewhat acceptable and well inside the safe operation of the processor.

Remember that a 3200 was an 89W part with a small die, and that a 180 is a 110W part with a die that's twice the size.

Additionally, a 7700 is only really good for about 125-150W of dissipation with the stock fan at full speed; you're running it with much less air passing through it.

But I have to stress that you're not killing it with heat, and that I ran a 170 at 2.8GHz around 70C at load without issue.

Heat is only a problem when it causes instability.

jubrany

Post by jubrany » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:54 pm

btw, don't my idle temps seem too good for there to be bad HSF contact?

and also, my HSF never gets hot. It gets warm (warmer than with the 3200), but never even close to being hot ever.

On the other hand, I somehow doubt the temp readings are wrong because the CPU reading is from the mobo right? and that reading was much less with the 3200.

I am confused.

I guess I should check the core again more carefully and if the IHS is not smooth I should RMA it with AMD.

I don't want to void the warranty by lapping it.

jubrany

Post by jubrany » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:30 pm

I added another scythe at the top of the case, and my temps dropped a good bit. You guys think I should just stop and call it a day? Or are these temps still crappy?

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:42 pm

If that's your idle then it's more like you've reached the limit of how much your cooler can cool. I wouldn't worry about it... especially since that extra airflow brought temps down. Looks like that's as good as your system will do.

Also, pic size is ouch. My TFT only goes up to 1280x1024 you know, not to mention the time it takes to download them all. :(

Mhudon

Same CPU same concern

Post by Mhudon » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:13 am

My system is very similar to yours: Asus A8N SLI Deluxe, Opty 180 (oced to 2750, 250x4 with stock voltage), Zalman 7700cu cooler, 2go DDR 400, 2x7900GTO SLI, two hd...

I installed Speedfan right after I saw your post and was shocked to see the differences between it's temp readings and those coming from the Asus softwares. I can't post em right nowsince I'm at work, but the readings were very similar to yours. Runnig OCCT's stress tests during over an hour and spending a lot of time playing Battlefield recently proved that my system is pretty stable tough.

To prevent any problem, I've splited one of the air ducts of my house air conditionner and plugged it right through the vent grill on the side of my case (have to work the easthetic though). Drastic but efficient!

Enzotech Ultra-X is on it's way to help things out too. I'll post the new results as the Enzo coller will be in place.