hyper 6+ fan questions

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ginahoy

hyper 6+ fan questions

Post by ginahoy » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:12 pm

I'm a newbie when it comes to fans and cooling. After reviewing some of the reference articles, I purchased an Evercase 4252 for my new system. I just acquired a pre-owned ASUS A8V mobo with a Hyper 6+ CPU cooler. I'll be using the X2 4200+ processor. I have questions regarding the Hyper 6+ fan.

1) When installed per instructions, the stock fan blows through the cooler. Should I orient cooler so the fan is on the front or the back? Intuitively, it seems best to orient fan to the rear so it draws air from outside the case. Outside air is likely to be cooler than air inside the case.

I'm considering mounting two 120mm case fans -- a rear intake to assist the CPU cooler fan (they would be fairly close to one another), and an exhaust in the bottom front fan port. The power supply would also serve as an exhaust.

Since I can't rotate the cooler without removing the mobo, I'm hoping to get this right the first time! Comments would be appreciated!!

2) Although I haven't powered it up yet, I've read that the original fan is noisy. Can someone please recommend a good 100mm replacement fan? It seems all the fans in the reference article are 92mm and 120mm.

David

ginahoy

Post by ginahoy » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:59 am

Hey group,

I'm holding up my project until I get some feedback on my ventilation strategy, as outlined in above post, especially the air direction issue. I appreciate the opportunity to sound out my ideas in this forum and value your collective experience and advice.

David

murtoz

Post by murtoz » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:38 pm

Hi, i think it would help if you posted some pics of the parts you intend to use - that woudl make it much easier to see what you are talking about...

ginahoy

Post by ginahoy » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:52 pm

murtoz wrote:Hi, i think it would help if you posted some pics of the parts you intend to use - that woudl make it much easier to see what you are talking about...
I didn't see a way to upload pics. I haven't used an image hosting service before. Can you recommend one?

tsmvengy

Post by tsmvengy » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:34 am

ginahoy

Post by ginahoy » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:19 pm

I just set cooler on the mobo until I decide if this is the best way to install. As I mentioned in OP, the fan blows through the cooler. So in this config, it will draw air from the rear fan port.

First image shows Hyper 6+ from the front.

Second image shows from the back.

ginahoy

Post by ginahoy » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:01 am

Wow... still no responses! There must be lots of folks here who can help with this. Where better tha SPCR to learn about great cooling strategies!

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:24 am

You're asking questions about a Ford Model T. Very few SPCR persons drive, or ever drove, Model Ts. Personally, I don't like to offer specific advice about equipment I've never owned or used. [General advice, not specific to the Model T, yes.] :?

ginahoy

Post by ginahoy » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:09 pm

Felger Carbon wrote:You're asking questions about a Ford Model T. Very few SPCR persons drive, or ever drove, Model Ts.
Sorry. I should have made my question more general. I learned about the Hyper 6 here. Didn't realize it was that obsolete!

In any case, forget about the Hyper 6+. Just want to know if my logic is correct regarding direction of air -- drawing air from rear port to processor cooler, as opposed to exhausting to rear port.

Also, I'm interested in 100mm fans. I could have asked that without ever mentioning the Hyper

D

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:20 pm

well, my $0.02 on this is that you shouldn't add a fan behind the cooler to help it draw air, you'll just be blowing in more dust. put a filter over the hole, and use a duct.

ducting > more fans