How to make HS fit...feel free to laugh

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Larry Sellars

How to make HS fit...feel free to laugh

Post by Larry Sellars » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:10 pm

I want to install a ninja HS but was unsure if it would fit. So i made a cardboard box the size of the HS and the box would fit if a "unknown" part on my MB was removed.

Included is a pic of this part with a red circle around it. I'm guessing it may be a HS for the chipset. Anyway, can I take it out or will the ninja still fit as it is narrow at the bottom (the mystery part is only about an inch tall). Thanks!!

Well, i don't know how to post a pic, but here is the link of my MB, "part X" is the "spikey" HS next to the CPU slot.

thanks again

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:12 am

Well you cannot completely remove that heatsink, You can trim back some of the fins if they touch the Ninja. The Ninja is constructed to clear a relatively short heatsink like that one......just set the Ninja in there and check the fit. You could acquire a different heatsink for the chipset. Unless someone has tried that particular MB/Ninja combination, it's hard to tell anything by a picture like that.

vortex222

Post by vortex222 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:28 pm

it looks like it should fit. The ninja is big but not THAT bad. Its clearance is quite good around the socket and the fins are also somewhat flexible. If the NB cooler touches slightly the lowest fin on the ninja should bend a tiny bit to make room, it would not be an issue.

I say just go for it and try it.

Elixer

Post by Elixer » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:04 pm

That heatsink is for your northbridge. My guess is that it will fit. There are only a few boards that have problems with the Ninja, and in those cases, bending the ninja, or removing a small section of one of the 2 heatsinks solves the problem. I would say in the worst case you'll have to bend a few fins on the Ninja. I would go ahead and order the Ninja.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:39 am

Hello,

Do you already own this motherboard? I dislike having the ATX power connector where it is on this mobo...routing the large bundle of wires anywhere near the CPU heatsink will not be ideal.