Any recomendations? LGA775

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

c3lica

Any recomendations? LGA775

Post by c3lica » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:15 pm

Ok so I want a computer that can run while i sleep. That means it has to be almost completely silent. Anyways this is what I have so far.

Ignore everything in bold if you want... its just stuff about my setup...

Everything is cooled passively except the CPU and PSU but the PSU is a 0dba one and is almost inaudible in a dead silent room and can be forced off until it reaches 70C which it never does. I just got a fujitsu notebook hd and love it. it is so quiet and runs cool. max temp i have seen was 38C. I mounted it with rubber bands cuz... I had no other way! And i saw it helps reduce vibration noise but this thing has none. i first just mounted it in a 3.5 bay only using one side and it was still quiet. I got a 120mm in there that came with the case but it stays unplugged for now.

Anyways, what I would like to know is what is a good heatsink/fan combo for the LGA775. Saftey of my cpu is first. I refuse to run the risk of hurting my computer. Next is sound. I want it to be quiet. I will only have 1 case fan or 1 fan on the cpu. (I will be putting at least 2 120mm fans with the best CFM i can find that will be on a external switch that will run full out when gaming or something but otherwise off.) my mobo and case should have enough room for just about any heatsink.

Soooooo, what is the heatsink for me to run a e6750 @ 2.66ghz (may overclock in the future but it only ran 4-6C more at the speed I would clock too) that will remain quiet? I guess I was thinking something with a 120mm nexus on it.

c3lica

Post by c3lica » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:16 pm

oh yeah, whats a good place to get nexus fans?

tehfire

Post by tehfire » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:42 pm

If you're in the US a good place to get Nexus fans is http://www.endpcnoise.com. I don't know if they're the cheapest, but they're very respectable.

And about the HSF, is your CPU overclocked? You said you were worried about the safety of your CPU, so I would recommend a relatively light HSF. The Thermalright Ultima-90 is a pretty good HSF, pair that with a Nexus 92mm fan and have the HS combo blow backwards (toward the back of your case) and you should be good to go.[/url]

c3lica

Post by c3lica » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:19 pm

Im not really worried about the size of the heatsink but its effectiveness. I dont wnt high temps when running a quiet (which will probably mean a lower CFM) fan. Hell, if I could mount a quiet fan on my stock heatsink and it would stay cool I would but I dont think there is any way to mount one w/out making something.

tehfire

Post by tehfire » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:46 pm

Ah k, when you said that you were worried about the CPU I thought you meant you didn't want too heavy a heatsink.

I didn't find an answer...are you overclocking your CPU?

Anyways, I would recommend the Thermalright SI-128 or Ultra-120X. The Ultra is a little overkill especially if you're not overclocking. Both coolers are miles ahead of the stock Intel HSF.

Pair these with a nice 120mm Scythe S-flex fan (800rpm version is a drop-in solution, but just a tad too noisy...the 1200rpm version needs either a fan controller or you can do the "7v trick" to make it perfectly quiet) and you're good to go. Like I said before, with either solution you'll be miles ahead of the Intel HSF.

The SI-128 SE runs at $50 and the S-flex runs at around $15 at Newegg, so you're looking at a good $70 with shipping for an amazing solution. The Ultra-120X is about $15 more.

You could go with the Scythe Ninja Rev. B which is only $35 and includes a very good fan when you do the "7v trick", but there have been many reports about how its Socket 775 mounting mechanism doesn't create proper contact with the CPU, making temps go up a bit. I used the Ninja on a S478 platform and absolutely LOVED it. Much cheaper than the Thermalrights and still one of the most beloved heatsinks around here.

Sorry if this is too long...

c3lica

Post by c3lica » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:57 am

nah. your post wasnt too long. i will look into all of those.

as for overclocking it would only be a little bit... not squeezing every bit outta my cpu. i oced it from 2.6 to 3.4 and idle temps went up to 4-6C. that doesn't seem like much temp difference to be concerned about right?

tehfire

Post by tehfire » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:13 am

That's a pretty big jump, seeing as total power consumption (and therefore, total heat production) takes into account both voltage and power draw. Power draw is affected by the speed of the processor, although I'm not sure if it's linear. Anyways, just an example. My current processor (E4400 M0 stepping) got to around 55C under full load when not overclocked (2GHz), but went all the way up to 80C when overclocked (3GHz). This is a combination of both the faster speed and the increase in voltage required to make it stable. Your OC wouldn't be 50% like mine, but it's still a hefty OC.

In those cases I would stay with the Ultra-120X or the Ninja. With the Ninja, you can buy a Thermalright mounting kit for around $10 I think that'll ensure a good contact...you'd have to ask somebody else which mounting kit to buy though as I don't know.

Also, with these heatsinks you have to be careful when moving your computer. They're heavy, but in my experiences I haven't broken anything. Just don't drop your computer or anything silly like that.

c3lica

Post by c3lica » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:44 pm

yeah I guess I think I will go with one of the thermalright ones and a nexus 120mm on the HS and maybe another on for exhaust. I might just get like 2 or three 120s that have the best cfm i can find and put them on an external switch for when i have my cpu under load. i dont know, I just bought the comp so I am a little tight on money... ill have a week or two to figure everything out.

scandium

Post by scandium » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:40 am

Given your criteria, my recommendation would be the Scythe Katana2. This is a very lightweight heat pipe cooler w/ a quiet, 100 mm 1600 rpm Scythe fan. Its also inexpensive: I picked mine up to go on my P4 641 for $28 w/ included fan. Much cheaper than the Thermalright XP90, taking into account that it includes the fan, and its at least as light and effective, if not better. Also the 100 mm fan is removable so you can put something else on it if at some point you desire a quieter or more powerful fan.

SilentShoe

Post by SilentShoe » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:57 am

what about cutting out the fan grills, putting in something like a nexus in the exhaust and running a passive heat sink?
such as: hr-01, si - 128SE, ninja ?

c3lica

Post by c3lica » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:34 am

I am fine with cutting out the fan grill but a passive heatsink scares me...

Correct me if I am wrong about this...

(In a very quiet room)

My HD is 2.6 bels which is 26db.(I think)
I can barley hear it when psu and cpu fans are stopped.
Fans like nexus 120 run around 22db so even with 2 of them it would be hard to hear them over the HD whcih I can barley hear anyways.

Is that right? If I had a good 120mm fan for my cpu and exhaust it should be almost inaudible?

Fungi

Post by Fungi » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:48 pm

From my experience, the biggest factor is the room layout. If your bed is away from the computer, you can have a couple 12cm Nexuses at 12V running without any bad noise. I'd say your HDD suspension is excessive since it's already a 2.5" drive, but hey, your choice.
The Katana2 is a good cheap heatsink, and probably even better with a Nexus. I changed my sister's stock Intel HSF to a Katana2 stock and it changed everything drastically.

If you have the space and money, though, I'd do something like a ducted Ultra-120 or extreme or whatever it is now since you have such a large case.

EDIT: It's my personal preference to go with side flow coolers like the Ultra-120/90 over the top flow stuff like SI-128 or Andy Samurai Master. Just adds to overall case airflow.

c3lica

Post by c3lica » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:46 pm

yeah the hd suspension is all but pointless but i really didnt have any other way to mount it... didnt really want it lose in the bottom or the case.