HTPC CPU cooler recommendation: Antec NSK2480 desktop case

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

valnar

HTPC CPU cooler recommendation: Antec NSK2480 desktop case

Post by valnar » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:57 pm

I don't have any of the components yet, so I can't tell you my clearance on the Antec NSK2480. It's a popular case, so I'm sure somebody knows.

I will put a mATX motherboard in there with an Intel C2D CPU. It will not be overclocked. Quiet (1) and Cool (2) are the most important. It don't know what will clear the case, but something low profile made for desktops would be preferred.

Recommendations?

Robert

JoeWPgh
Friend of SPCR

Post by JoeWPgh » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:17 pm

My understanding is that this case has virtually the same dimensions as the Fusion. I have neither case, but by all accounts a Mini Ninja fits inside the Fusion. Depending on how hard you push the machine, you may even be able to run it fanless. If not, it comes with a fan.

Mooki

Post by Mooki » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:44 pm

I've read that some people have had to remove the small decorative end covers from the heatpipes of the Minja in order to close the cover properly - this apparently easiest done with the aid of a hot air gun o similar.

/M

valnar

Post by valnar » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:53 pm

Would the Thermaltake SI-120 and a 120mm fan fit okay?

I'd prefer a "non" tower heatsink if possible.

Robert

yamahaSHO

Post by yamahaSHO » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:58 pm

JoeWPgh wrote:My understanding is that this case has virtually the same dimensions as the Fusion. I have neither case, but by all accounts a Mini Ninja fits inside the Fusion. Depending on how hard you push the machine, you may even be able to run it fanless. If not, it comes with a fan.
I have an E4500 under my Ninja Mini and without a fan and running at stock speeds, I generally stay in the low 20's in an NSK-2480. The exhaust fans are literally right next to the Ninja Mini, so I'm sure it gets plenty of air flow for overclocking without a fan attached.

I would highly recommend this cooler to the original poster if you do go with this case.

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

Post by Firetech » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:12 am

Fantastic pics! :D

Beatless

Post by Beatless » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:36 am

I would also recommend the Scyth Ninja Mini. It is the perfect heatsink for this case.

I have the NSK-2480 and using a ASUS P5E-VM HDMI with a Pentium E2160 clocked to 3.0 Ghz CPU temp is around 32 degrees at idle, at load it goes up to low 40-something. This is with no fan on the heatsink. Instead the chassis fans, which, as previously noted, are located next to the heatsink, provide the airflow. I have is two Nexus 120 mm running at 750 rpm which makes it quite quiet.

And installation was easy, it fitted perfectly in the case.

valnar

Post by valnar » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:32 am

Mini Ninja it is. Thanks!

SpaceNerd

Post by SpaceNerd » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:28 am

I'd like to use my Arctic Fans with this setup (NSK2480 + Scythe Ninja Mini), but they are 38mm thick (usually 120mm fans are merely 25mm thick). Can you tell me how much space there is between the Ninja and the side of the case, yamahaSHO?
This probably also depends on the mobo, but I think the layout of the Gigabyte mobo in the picture equals the layout of my ASUS M2A-VM HDMI.
Thanks in advance!

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:27 am

yamahaSHO,

Nice job. One small point, however: you may want to consider not using a rounded IDE cable. In my experience they are just asking for IDE errors. You could use a long-ish flat IDE ribbon cable and run it underneath your mobo use a 45-degree fold and route it to the cable tunnel in the case wall. It would would be even more out of the way and cable-gami always looks better than big-ass, garish cables.

yamahaSHO

Post by yamahaSHO » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:21 pm

SpaceNerd wrote:I'd like to use my Arctic Fans with this setup (NSK2480 + Scythe Ninja Mini), but they are 38mm thick (usually 120mm fans are merely 25mm thick). Can you tell me how much space there is between the Ninja and the side of the case, yamahaSHO?
This probably also depends on the mobo, but I think the layout of the Gigabyte mobo in the picture equals the layout of my ASUS M2A-VM HDMI.
Thanks in advance!
I don't think you'll fit anything thicker...

jhhoffma wrote:yamahaSHO,

Nice job. One small point, however: you may want to consider not using a rounded IDE cable. In my experience they are just asking for IDE errors. You could use a long-ish flat IDE ribbon cable and run it underneath your mobo use a 45-degree fold and route it to the cable tunnel in the case wall. It would would be even more out of the way and cable-gami always looks better than big-ass, garish cables.
I thought someone might say something about that cable. Since the picture, I have re-run the cable. I've never had a problem with these round cables either.

SpaceNerd

Post by SpaceNerd » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:24 pm

Thanks again for the picture yamahaSHO, it really seems as if I have to use standard fans.

yamahaSHO

Post by yamahaSHO » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:27 pm

Beatless wrote:I would also recommend the Scyth Ninja Mini. It is the perfect heatsink for this case.

I have the NSK-2480 and using a ASUS P5E-VM HDMI with a Pentium E2160 clocked to 3.0 Ghz CPU temp is around 32 degrees at idle, at load it goes up to low 40-something. This is with no fan on the heatsink. Instead the chassis fans, which, as previously noted, are located next to the heatsink, provide the airflow. I have is two Nexus 120 mm running at 750 rpm which makes it quite quiet.

And installation was easy, it fitted perfectly in the case.
You say you're able to run your processor at 32C idle and low 40's under load... How was the base of your Ninja Mini?

I ask because I idle in the low 40's and hit mid to high 50's under load (Core Temp 0.96). I pulled off the Ninja and could clearly see in the middle that the processor had NO contact. I cleaned it up and put new TIM on (AS5), but was a little more generous and I think my temps may have lowered very slightly.

I am conisidering lapping the Ninja Mini and getting a Thermalright bolt-thru kit. I am running fanless, however, the case fans are very close and I even made a little bit of a duct and my temps seem high.

laserred

Post by laserred » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:37 pm

To fit the 38mm fan, how about a mod like this? It's crudely photoshopped, but you get the idea. Make a barrier and use it to deflect all the incoming air through the grate through the Ninja, and simply use the further fan, and notch the fins on the Ninja to allow the fan to fit. Since it's a 38mm, it should have no problem moving enough air through the rest of the system even with the airfoil.

yamahaSHO

Post by yamahaSHO » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

You know, I think your choice of motherboard will play a big part. I have recently seen some pictures where others have the more clearance with this this heat sink. If you search on this forum, you'll find them.

If you find a motherboard that doesn't not sit the processor so close, you shouldn't have to modify anything.

SpaceNerd

Post by SpaceNerd » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:09 am

I just ordered the updated Fusion 430 case with 80plus psu (according to their HP, Antec only offers it in Europe atm). Amazon(.de) offered it for 85 EUR a few days ago and I just... couldn't... resist... :wink: I know it has the same internal layout as the NSK2480, so I'll stick with the standard-sized Arctic Cooling PWM fans. I simply could not harm the Ninja Mini... although... :twisted:

quorton

Post by quorton » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:08 am

I'm also planning to buy the 2480, but how quiet are the standard fans and the power supply ?

yamahaSHO

Post by yamahaSHO » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:45 am

quorton wrote:I'm also planning to buy the 2480, but how quiet are the standard fans and the power supply ?
I currently have the stock fans still in my case on low as my Yate Loons have not shown up yet (going on 3 months, don't buy from NexFan.com!!!) and they're not horrible, but I'm still convinced that I'll be swapping these out for something more quiet.

I have not head what the stock PSU fans sounds like as I swapped my fan out right away. The reviews I have read on it all say that the fan could be more quiet. I used the 80mm fan that came with my Scythe Ninja Mini and I am very happy with it as it makes less noise than the Tri-Cools.

quorton

Post by quorton » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:10 am

I bought one, and have a little warning for future purchasers.

I also bought the gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H motherboard and for some strange reason gigabyte decided to put horizontal faced SATA connectors on the board which sit right at the edge of the motherboard.
So if you mount the motherboard its impossible to put a SATA plug in that connector, because the MB is right next to the wall. Even the 90 degree sata plugs hook downwards, so those won't work either (there might be 90 degree sata plugs that hook the other way I don't know)
So I had to make an extra hole in the wall between the MB and the HD.

So check the motherboard you want to purchase, or be prepared to mod the case.

laserred

Post by laserred » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:12 pm

I finally jumped in and bought a B-stock 2400 since I already have a modded PSU, and picked up the Minja from the Egg. I'll take some pics as soon as it is together, I'm already prepared for the worst because of the Biostar's stupid 24-pin placement.