New CPU cooler from Scythe, "Orochi"

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Fungi

Post by Fungi » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:00 pm

Performance with fan is similar to XP-120 but without a fan, results on a stock E6300 on an open air testbench after 10 minutes of load are 35-37C idle, 56-58C load

JoeWPgh
Friend of SPCR

Post by JoeWPgh » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:08 pm

I think it's safe to say the weight of this thing is a deal breaker for most tower case users.
But, is there a horizontal case with the height to house this beast? A Silverstone LC17 is +/-12mm taller (6-3/8" without feet). This sounds good until you subtract the standoffs, mobo, CPU and case material. There's no way a top mount fan will fit, so there goes that advantage. Can anyone point to a case that will actually fit this thing?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:10 pm

The Stacker?

JLee

Post by JLee » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:54 pm

i think he's talking about horizontal cases

with that said, i use my antec solo on its side!

BabisSougias

Post by BabisSougias » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:27 pm

JLee

Post by JLee » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:33 pm

Looks like Anitec has them for sale now!
Time to go pick one up!

WR304

Post by WR304 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:27 pm

There's a review of the Scythe Orochi here: :)

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... ost2807646

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:10 pm

Hope they dont make a Cu anniverary version as well! That thing is just ridiculously big! Id certainly want to re-enforce it with a bracket connected to the case.
But they are clearly going for the extreme cooling crown, the thermalright 120 Extreme has been at the top for too long. This thing will probably take the title with a good fan on it, the numbers should be interesting.

Kaleid

Post by Kaleid » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:05 pm

nightmorph

Post by nightmorph » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:44 pm

--
Last edited by nightmorph on Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:29 am

What I find really funny is that the size of CPU coolers is going upward, while the power demand of CPUs is going downward. But this is definitely good for the silent crowd. It's too bad though that there is no case available that makes good use of this massive heatsink...... and I doubt you'll ever be able to buy one out of the box. Again..... DIY is supreme, as I've said all along.

This setup runs on one 92mm Nexus fan, blowing through a Ninja. An Orochi in place of the Ninja would run cooler and quieter......well hopefully.
:lol:

nyu3

Post by nyu3 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:22 am

looks like the second layer of heatpipes are not making direct contact with the base of the heatsink. This probably hurts Orochi's performance. My guess is, the extra surface area is not justified by the total heatpipe performance.

aaronspink

Post by aaronspink » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:30 pm

nyu3 wrote:looks like the second layer of heatpipes are not making direct contact with the base of the heatsink. This probably hurts Orochi's performance. My guess is, the extra surface area is not justified by the total heatpipe performance.
Yeah, the frostytech review paints the orochi in a very disappointing light. It appears that the weight of the thing is largely wasted by poor design choices. It still appears that we are better off with the old standbys still.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:30 pm

nyu3 wrote:looks like the second layer of heatpipes are not making direct contact with the base of the heatsink.
If I'm interpreting your comment correctly, the same thing is true of the Ninja... which doesn't seem to hurt the Ninja's cooling performance.

yukon

Post by yukon » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:29 pm

Is there a review of the Orochi versus the Thermalright 120 Extreme, with both passive? The japanese review appears to say the Orochi did it at 52c with a load, with the Thermalright at 83c. Seems unlikely.

I have to say, Frostytech does impress with how they generate heat for their sample systems. Not real-world performance by any means (CPUs don't generate heat evenly), but it is a good test of heatsink performance, yet their testing methodology is fatally flawed. They list the Thermalright 120 Extreme as cooler, but generating 44.5dBA. I have one, and it's completely silent. It doesn't come with a fan. I had to check that article to find out they used a "120mm Mechatronics G1225S12B fan", whatever that is. The Orochi is being tested with the default fan, however well that works. From their "Big List of Stuff", I can't tell how well the heatsink is working. In their reviews it looks like the far smaller Thermalright is far better, but that depends entirely on fans. I think the exacting generation of specific temperatures could have a place in SCPR-type testing methodology, however.

I think the Orochi-sized coolers do have a place in cooling. Passive air cooling does not require maintenance, cannot leak, makes no noise, uses no electricity, and works. Watercooling requires checking the coolant for algal growth and flow, leakchecks, the pump makes noise (as do radiator fans), the pump and fans use electricity, and it works. Watercooling doesn't do the previous things a lot (eg. relatively quiet, little maintenance, but I've had watercooling leaks), yet it's hard to beat passive. As an aside, fans can fail in both methods, with dust buildup and bearing wear, etc.

nyu3

Post by nyu3 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:36 am

Felger Carbon wrote:
nyu3 wrote:looks like the second layer of heatpipes are not making direct contact with the base of the heatsink.
If I'm interpreting your comment correctly, the same thing is true of the Ninja... which doesn't seem to hurt the Ninja's cooling performance.
Its not quite the same. In the Orochi, 5 heatpipes directly touch the base plate, the other 5 heatpipes do not touch the base plate.

In the Ninja, all heatpipes directly touch the base plate- although one set of heatpipes does make less contact. Furthermore, the original Ninja had the most contact between the second set of heatpipes and the base plate. This might be one of the reasons why the original Ninja performs best. See here for pictures http://www.silentpcreview.com/misc/3ninjas.jpg

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:51 am

Hello,

This is similar to the Ninja -- but if it is not done well (with good metal-to-metal contact), it may be the reason that the Rev B Ninja is not as good as the original.

bexx

Post by bexx » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:50 pm

I don't see any other posts about this cooler, I got one on my bench and its awesomely big lol. I had it installed on a flex-atx board and it dwarfs everything.

I ran a 3.0ghz c2duo passively for a few hours and then turned on prime95 and system lockedup after 15 minutes or so... the CPU was ~60C but the rest of the board, specifically the chipset was insanely hot.

The stock fan is real nice, 500rpm at 12V its basically silent.

Anyways also wanted to comment on the issue that the second set of 4/5 heatpipes are not right on the cpu... this doesn't matter in passive setups, or at least where there is very little airflow. I've tried the ninja and ultra120 passively and neither did nearly as well as the orochi. I don't have the other to avaiable right now, they're at home in systems, but I highly doubt either could match Orochi's performance in any setup tha would be deemed 'quiet'.

walle

Post by walle » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:59 pm

I'll stick to my TRUE and my Ninjas. Should I ever need more cooling I go with the Zalman Reserator 1 plus system instead, heck, make that two.

Hmm, no push pins? seriously now Scythe, wazzz up? :lol:

bexx

Post by bexx » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:15 pm

Not sure if a zalman wc setup would be able to beat a good air setup at these noise levels.. pump is going to be weak link.

walle

Post by walle » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:33 am

That’s a good point bexx, I have no experience with the Reserator system so I don’t know how much noise (if any) these pumps make, however; I recon one could suspend the pump(s) or perhaps even replace them with quieter dittos should it be necessary.

valnar

Post by valnar » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:03 am

The Ninja is now Scythe's "smaller" choice? Who woulda thunk? :lol:

-Robert