Thermalright backplate installation problems on Gigabyte mb

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Hifriday
Patron of SPCR

Thermalright backplate installation problems on Gigabyte mb

Post by Hifriday » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:05 am

I purchased the SI128-SE and tried to install it on my Gigabyte EP35-DS4, however the backplate presses against or is blocked by the feet of capacitors protruding out the backside of the mb. There are two ridges that rise up on the backplate to press against the mb, one ridge is just blocked by the row of caps seen on the rightside of this image.
I thought to clip of the excess part of the legs, but the solder joints would still leave slight bumps; not to mention voiding the mb warranty. Alternatively to hammer down the edge of the ridge to get enough clearance, but the backplate seems plenty stiff.

It seems this backplate is used on other Thermalright coolers like the HR-01Plus, and also quite a few of the Gigabyte mbs have a similarly placed row of caps. Anyone have a good solution?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:30 am

Hello,

You can clip off the capacitor lead wires that protrude through the solder w/o voiding the warranty, I should think -- especially if you do so neatly, so that it would not be noticed.

Is there a layer of foam on the backplate? If so, it will "absorb" the solder bumps, and should be fine -- as long as the sharp wire leads aren't there to cut through the foam.

Also, do not remove the backing to reveal the sticky surface (if any), or this will void your warranty -- because you will not be able to remove it.

Hifriday
Patron of SPCR

Post by Hifriday » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:31 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, but a simpler solution presented itself.

I didn't realize the LGA775 mounting holes are symmetrical, simply rotating the backplate 90 degrees allowed it to clear the caps. There is another row of caps on top, but fortunately these are just out of reach.
(The backplate is rectangular so this was a little misleading at first, plus my first LGA775 board).

Paired with a 120mm fan at 650rpm, the SI128SE lowered temps by a nice 10-12C compared with the stock cooler at 1200rpm (E8400 at 3.6ghz under load, open case).