Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mexell

Ninja 2 spotted on CeBIT [Large-ish images]

Post by mexell » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:30 am

look here:

Blue_Sky

Post by Blue_Sky » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:51 am

Looks interesting. I count a couple of more fins than the rev B. I could very well be wrong though.

I wonder what effect the hole in the middle will have. From my basic understanding of fluid mechanics, I wouldn't think that it is a positive thing (ie. more turbulent flow, therefore less velocity, therefore less heat transfer). I guess I'll just have to wait until SPCR gets their hands on one.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:04 am

Hello,

I count 27 fins, vs 23 for the previous versions. I see that the lack of "slots" on the corners will make it very hard to use through-the-motherboard screws -- hopefully their stock mounting is much improved!

[Edit: corrected fin count.]
Last edited by NeilBlanchard on Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tehcrazybob
Friend of SPCR

Post by tehcrazybob » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:13 am

Blue_sky: The hole in the center will serve the same purpose as the hole in the center of the current Ninja - to reduce the effects of skin friction drag on the airflow. With a powerful fan, the hole wouldn't really do very much, but with a slow fan or only ambient airflow, it makes a significant difference in keeping the air moving through the heatsink. And it's pretty far from any heatpipes, so material in that position probably wouldn't dissipate much heat anyway.

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:14 am

I like that theyve spaced the heatpipes evenly like they did with the Cu design. I often wonder how much the middle heatpipe on the rev b actually cools, seems too close to the others.
Overall seems little has changed other than that and the corner of the fins. I can see installation being tricky still, not much room for any tools under those fins, although the bottom 3 are much smaller than the rest, this might make it more spacious than it first looks.

JaYp146

Post by JaYp146 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:56 am

I've seen a similar heatsink called the "Giant Ninja" over at Xtremesystems.

...or is that a different model?

mbetea

Post by mbetea » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:24 pm

Different model. There's a thread about the giant Ninja here too, it's got 20 heatpipes. I'm just hoping they made some serious changes to their mounting setup.

chahahc

Post by chahahc » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:57 pm

Ooh...Looks promising. Maybe this heat sink will revert back to something similar to the original mounting hardware, since the bottom fin corners are cut out, much like the original rev.A ninja. If this thing performs, I might just have to grab one for myself, when it's released...that is...

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:52 pm

Hello,

Here's another picture, that shows the base better -- and it looks quite solid:

And better yet:

LuckyNV

Post by LuckyNV » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:08 am

anyone know the weight and dimensions of that beast?

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:00 am

Looks to be around the same witdh and length based on the size of the base and heatpipes. Height is impossible to say, but it looks like the fins are closer together (inevitable i guess, it should be aiming at TRUE's cooling crown, passive users are a small market) and i count 23 large fins and 3 small ones, so slightly more, would make sense if they kept the same height and just moved the fins closer together.
The weight id expect to be somewhere in between the revB and the Cu versions.

Blue_Sky

Post by Blue_Sky » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:33 pm

tehcrazybob wrote:Blue_sky: The hole in the center will serve the same purpose as the hole in the center of the current Ninja - to reduce the effects of skin friction drag on the airflow. With a powerful fan, the hole wouldn't really do very much, but with a slow fan or only ambient airflow, it makes a significant difference in keeping the air moving through the heatsink. And it's pretty far from any heatpipes, so material in that position probably wouldn't dissipate much heat anyway.
I wasn't paying attention to what I was writing (I swear I know there is a hole in the current ninjas :D).

What I wanted to say, is that I wonder what effect changing the geometry will have, if any.

I've done some finite element models of heatsink-air heat transfer, and that has lead me be a little wary of anything that can cause more turbulent flow - the total heat transfer over time took a pretty big hit as velocity dropped and turbulence increased.
I don't have much experience in the area, nor do I work in the field, so I'm just interested to see how the actual performance differs from what I would have expected.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:39 pm

The fin design makes me thing that LGA-775 is again done with Push-pins. Lower fins are design so that your turbms get there. So new screw driver. Unfortunately.

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:00 pm

i spy with my itty bitty eyes, a heatpipe GPU cooler on the side...

with 15mm fans ... ouy =[

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:40 am

Hm, I like higher fin count, spread-out heatpipes, and better finished base by the looks of it, but no slits at the corner make it impossible to use TR bolt-through kit now.

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:02 am

JazzJackRabbit wrote:Hm, I like higher fin count, spread-out heatpipes, and better finished base by the looks of it, but no slits at the corner make it impossible to use TR bolt-through kit now.
Not really. Just cut away the parts of the fins that get in the way. That part of the fin structure doesn't do anything anyway because there's no airflow there.

Blood
Friend of SPCR

Post by Blood » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:41 pm

hope

1. bolt through rentention system
2. The heatsink is large enough to take full advantage of surface area provided by a 120mm fan
3. Better contact of heatpipes/base (soldered)

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:08 pm

I would think that Scythe would have finally got the message that they make brilliant coolers, but they need better mounting to go with them. Even inexperienced PC builders can tell that a big heatsink that isnt firmly fixed to the board isnt ideal.

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:05 pm

cmthomson wrote:
JazzJackRabbit wrote:Hm, I like higher fin count, spread-out heatpipes, and better finished base by the looks of it, but no slits at the corner make it impossible to use TR bolt-through kit now.
Not really. Just cut away the parts of the fins that get in the way. That part of the fin structure doesn't do anything anyway because there's no airflow there.
Right.... I'm not about to make 24x4 fin cuts.

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:22 pm

JazzJackRabbit wrote:
cmthomson wrote:
Right.... I'm not about to make 24x4 fin cuts.
It's probably sufficient to cut the bottom 5 or 6 fins.

Poodle

Post by Poodle » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:06 pm

What's that in the background in Neil's second image, GPU cooler?

edit: nevermind someone already mentioned this.

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:25 pm

Out of curiosity, does anybody knows when it is going to become available?

Hydrazine
Location: betweent keyboard and chair (chair lives in the Netherlands)

Post by Hydrazine » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:33 pm

my eyes are able to spot a scythe PSU, not modular, with something that looks like a fan monitor plug. :D
(first large picture, under the coolers)
anything known about these things already?