CPU heatsink choices

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

soloman02

CPU heatsink choices

Post by soloman02 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:37 pm

I've been a longtime browser of SPCR, but never registered until now.
In any case, I recently have become enlightened to quieting my PC down. It's fairly quiet now (from where it was), but I want more quiet. Right now the intel stock cooler is the loudest fan.

My problem is I want a HS that I can add this fan to:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835185058

This isn't that big a problem. The problem is I don't know if the heatsink will fit in my case.
I have this case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811154013

It has been modded quite a bit with a 120mm fan on top, and 2 120mm on the side, one for vid card and one for cpu ( I always knew my dremel was a wise investment :)). All fans are the same as the one linked above.

The problem I have is finding a HS/HSF that will fit with the 120mm fan on the side blowing on it.

I am concerned for weight somewhat. No need for 700g+ coolers. One more thing, the cooler doesn't have to be the best as my room in the winter is set a 60F almost all the time, and during the summer, I have cold air from my A/C unit blowing into both side fans via aluminum ducting.

I also plan on buying the E8400 and overclocking when they can be had for $180.

I have been thinking about the scythe Andy Samurai Master, but I wanted some other opinions before I made the investment. I have this nagging feeling that it will be too high. Maybe I am just paranoid...

rpc180
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by rpc180 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:24 am

I have that exact same case - not modded though. Its hardly silent as the door has always rattled when a CD is in the drive and I think the side of the case vibrates too without using a CD. Anyway:

You might want to look at something like a Thermalright SI-128, which is designed so that a fan blows "down" onto it? This could take advantage of your dual 120s on the side :)

soloman02

Post by soloman02 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:10 am

I ended up getting the SI-128. It hasn't arrived yet. I'll show pics when I have it installed.
The door hinges were broken when I got the case so I never used the door. For the price of free, I wasn't going to complain about having no door. I have added some thermaltake acoustic absorbing material to the sides of the case to reduce the vibrations and the sound waves from bouncing around. I has cut down on the noise, especially since I am now using much quieter fans. The Sythe Slip-stream fans are rated for 24 dBa, which is very quiet for me considering I was using 35dBa fans. Hopefully, I can get away with just using the 120mm side fan to blow on the si-128.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:45 am

As user of SI-128 ( albeit mine is SE ) I can say that it can be run passively but its not really recomended. The fin space are tight so it would need a fan to get adquate cooling power. Just aiming a side panel fans would do little good for the tight fin space.

However when you do mount fan the on the cooler, the results are nothing sort of amazing and close neck-to-neck with TRUE.

soloman02

Post by soloman02 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:39 pm

Well, the 128 from SPCR arrived (Thanks Mike :)) this past week and I installed it shortly thereafter. I have installed it with some AS5 and the temps are roughly the same as the stock cooler but the si-128 is slightly cooler but makes a whole lot less noise. I currently have it installed with no fan attached, but have a 120mm Scythe 1200 rpm fan blowing air directly on it from the outside.

While playing cod4 load temps were 37C (temp1) and 32C (temp2) in speed fan and 33C for both cores in coretemp. They were about the same with the stock cooler.

All my case fans have a rated dBA of 24 or less now. Now I just need a new cooler for my 8800GT and all with be quiet :). The gt isn't really loud at idle since I keep the fan at 40%, but it is noticeable playing a game since I crank it up to 65%.

I have provided pics of my setup below. I now have the AC unit blowing air into both side fans with the top fan as exhaust. Rear 92mm fan is exhaust as well. The thermal damping material from thermal take really helps cut down on vibrations and the sound waves from bouncing all over the place. I apparently have more room than I thought in my case for the cpu heat sink.

Setup with AC unit (note: I have since added cardboard to the top of the ducts to better channel in the air, and have moved the top intake to the side and made the top exhaust)

SI-128 installed

Another angle with 8800gt (still need a better cooler for it). Note top exhaust fan added by me with my trusty dremel.

Custom added holes for side case fans with fans installed and sound dampening material.

Outside view of side case fans with filters and special hooks for easy removal of the ducting to easily clean the filters.