An idea for mounting heavy heatsinks?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

psyopper
Friend of SPCR

An idea for mounting heavy heatsinks?

Post by psyopper » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:25 pm

So I was thinking about the added stress that newer heavyweight heatsinks have on motherboards. People have noted that certian cores run hotter than others and related this to "sagging" heatsinks. Examples include the Ninja Copper with the 775 push pins.

What wouuld happen if you were to actually bolt the heatsink to the mobo backplane in the case? I'm thinking a set of hollow "heatsink standoff's" that would pass through the backplane and then the heatsink could be bolted to the backplane through the standoffs.

Maybe in conjuction with the Thermaltake boltthru kit.

The only downside I can think of is not getting enough pressure on the heatsink against the processor.

Thoughts?

edh

Post by edh » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:57 pm

Shuttle's have had this for years, the obvious reason why they can is because they're in control of motherboard, case and cooler. With standard cases this would be a problem because not every system has it's CPU in the same place. Still, you could mod a case to have this. Pop the motherboard in without CPU or cooler, mark the backplane of the case through the CPU cooler mounting holes on the motherboard, take the motherboard out, drill the holes, find some suitable standoffs to go between the motherboard and the case, then reassemble with a set of bolts from the far side going through into the cooler, or vice versa.

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:55 pm

It would take some skill to do it right, but i guess it would work. Although really unless your using the Orochi in all its 1,155g (plus fan!) glory i think a bolt though kit like what TR sells is plenty adequate. Of course, if you have the tools, ability and desire to mod your case to provide all the added support then it cant be a bad thing.

mbetea

Post by mbetea » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:57 pm

Intel has been doing this with their Xeon/server platform for a while now. I think it's part of their SSI spec.

It could be done, however, unless you would want to do it just for the sake of doing it, I don't believe it would be worth it in my opinion. I think, in the case of the Ninja, just replacing Scythe's mounting with a TR bolt thru kit would be enough.