Is my temperature right?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

rivet

Is my temperature right?

Post by rivet » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:56 am

I'v got my Scythe Ninia Rev. B installed a few days ago (with stock slip stream 120mm 1200rpm fan running at full speed, it runs at 1050rpm most of the time though) . I just run some prime95 small FFT test, so far after 1 hours of test, the 4 cores in Core temp reported so far (highest) as 68/68/61/62 Cdeg, my MB temperature also goes to 46 degree. I haven't do any prime test with my original Intel heatsink, though I got the impression that my temperature is about equal to intel heatsink when I disable the Q-fan control from my motherboard, it is much quiter with Ninja though.

My rest of the setup is a Antec Sonata III with exhaust fan set to low (no intake fan), runing a Q6600 g0 at stock default setting, 4*1G ram (everything is auto), does that imply there is definately something wrong of my installation? I have retighten the push-pin a few times, does not make any difference. Do I need to cleaning and reinstall AS5 this time. Honest, I hate the installation process, as I don't want to take my motherboard out.

Thanks

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:53 am

well, ideally, you'd get better temps from using a bolt-thru kit, but your load temps are fine.

the Q6600 G0 is still a 95W CPU with 4 cores. by no means is it going to be cool compared to what's around now, with 45nm.

unless you don't like how its seated, there's no reason to change, but since you're using pushpins, make sure that you keep in mind that the weight is significantly higher.

a test you can do is lying your case on its side, and repeating your test. if the results come back with a noticeable change, it would be in your best interest to use a bolt-thru kit. the change would be accounted for through a lack of contact with the IHS and the base of the ninja.

tehfire

Post by tehfire » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:30 am

As bone said above, your temps are fine. They could be lower, but they are within specifications so unless you get bored or are nitpicky like me I'd leave it the way it is.

rivet

Post by rivet » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:20 pm

bolt-thru kit is a good idea, but I guess that will need to remove my motherboard from the case first. If I am going into this hassle, I would rather order an TRUE instead. I guess I'll leave it for now until I got some free time. I just feel the temperature is a bit too high for stock speed consider all the hypes of this cooler, and it does not really have any improvement over original intel stock cooler.

By the way, do your guys think it is worth while to replace the Antec Tri-cool exhaust fan to sth. else. The tri-cool is pretty quiet at low, but I need a bit more air flow but less noisy than tri-cool at medium. Thanks.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:14 am

you could change your case fans from Antec Tri-Cools to Scythe SlipStreams or even S-Flex fans, both are great and easily undervolted. Nexus makes very good fans as well, but Noctua fans have a bit more personality than other fans in terms of noise.

a 1200RPM S-Flex of SlipStream could be left at 12v, or you could even go 7v and the fan would be much better than any Tri-Cool.

rivet

Post by rivet » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:00 pm

Thanks very much. I might consider order two slip stream fan. By the way, it does not make much difference in cooling when I am lying my on its side, so I guess that is how much I can get from my sample of Ninja Rev. B other than increasing case air flow.
bonestonne wrote:you could change your case fans from Antec Tri-Cools to Scythe SlipStreams or even S-Flex fans, both are great and easily undervolted. Nexus makes very good fans as well, but Noctua fans have a bit more personality than other fans in terms of noise.

a 1200RPM S-Flex of SlipStream could be left at 12v, or you could even go 7v and the fan would be much better than any Tri-Cool.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:03 pm

Hello,

You might also consider the Xigmatek (or the KingWin clone), as well. They are lighter weight, and are right in there on the performance, too.

rivet

Post by rivet » Sat May 03, 2008 10:26 am

Thanks, a stupid question, how do I set the fan at 7v?
bonestonne wrote:you could change your case fans from Antec Tri-Cools to Scythe SlipStreams or even S-Flex fans, both are great and easily undervolted. Nexus makes very good fans as well, but Noctua fans have a bit more personality than other fans in terms of noise.

rivet

Post by rivet » Sat May 03, 2008 10:32 am

That is a good advice, after reading all the reviews, the Xigmatek looks like a winner. However, Xigmatek is not available in Canada. The only thing close to Xigmatek that is available is OCZ vendetta 2. Anyway,
the cheapest I can get for OCZ vendetta 2 is $50 include shipping, not a bad price but then I need to buy another fan to keep it quieter, consider I'v already spend $40+ on the Ninja, so in the end I might spend more like $120 for CPU cooling and case fans, still debating on it.
NeilBlanchard wrote:Hello,

You might also consider the Xigmatek (or the KingWin clone), as well. They are lighter weight, and are right in there on the performance, too.

wayner
Friend of SPCR

Post by wayner » Sat May 03, 2008 6:23 pm

rivet wrote:That is a good advice, after reading all the reviews, the Xigmatek looks like a winner. However, Xigmatek is not available in Canada. The only thing close to Xigmatek that is available is OCZ vendetta 2. Anyway,
the cheapest I can get for OCZ vendetta 2 is $50 include shipping, not a bad price but then I need to buy another fan to keep it quieter, consider I'v already spend $40+ on the Ninja, so in the end I might spend more like $120 for CPU cooling and case fans, still debating on it.
Canada Computers, which is one of the better computer shops in the Toronto area but also has locations in other parts of Ontario, carries Xigmatek - they have the Hdt-S1283 for about $36. I had them build a system for me a couple of weeks ago with this cooler and the system can't be heard from 2m away.

rivet

Post by rivet » Sat May 03, 2008 8:44 pm

Wow, thanks for the post, just saw Xigmatek appear's on Canada computers' website. It is currently OOS everywhere, but when they get some stock, I will try them. The reason I mention buying another quiet fan is because I read the reviews on SPCR's site mentioning replacing the stock fan with the reference Nexus fan will reduce noise by several dB without comprise the performance. I will try it out to see how it works out.
wayner wrote:Canada Computers, which is one of the better computer shops in the Toronto area but also has locations in other parts of Ontario, carries Xigmatek - they have the Hdt-S1283 for about $36. I had them build a system for me a couple of weeks ago with this cooler and the system can't be heard from 2m away.

TheManMKD

Post by TheManMKD » Sun May 04, 2008 5:21 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hello,

I second this. Those are really nice.