The real performance of the Freezer 7 Pro with a modern CPU?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

F for Fragging

The real performance of the Freezer 7 Pro with a modern CPU?

Post by F for Fragging » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:29 pm

Currently I'm considering options to cut the price of my next PC build, and the CPU heatsink is one of the pieces of hardware which can be cheaper.

My current plan is to buy a Thermalright HR-01 Plus (the Ultra-120 eXtreme is too expensive) with a Scythe SlipStream at 800 rpm. That costs € 36,76 + € 7 = € 43,76. An Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro costs € 16,18 and includes a fan, it's less than half as expensive.

Of course I know that the HR-01 Plus will cool better and have a better mounting mechanism. Cooling performance isn't really an issue for me because I'm going to use it with a Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 without any overclocking, silence is most important.

However, the question is how well the Freezer 7 Pro would perform at silent noise levels (20-18 dBA @ 1 meter) with the E8200, what temperature would I get? In the SPCR review of the Freezer 7 Pro an old Pentium 4 CPU is used which probably runs significantly more hot, so that doesn't give me a good idea about the performance of the Freezer 7 Pro with the latest Core 2 Duo CPU's. Searching these forums didn't turn up any useful results either.

Can anyone who uses the Freezer 7 Pro with an E8xxx series Core 2 Duo CPU at silent noise levels please post their temperatures here for me?

kel

Post by kel » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:34 am

I'm running a freezer 7 pro with a e8400 - temps (core) never got above 60c under full load - i'm running it without the default cooler though, here's a few shot of the setup:

The 2 noctuas provide enough cooling it seems so I removed the stock fan. As for the Noctuas the top fan is blowing down( running at 7v), back fan is blowing out the back (running with ULNA, i.e. probably around 4.5-5v).[/img]

AckeDman

Post by AckeDman » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:18 am

kel wrote:I'm running a freezer 7 pro with a e8400 - temps (core) never got above 60c under full load - i'm running it without the default cooler though, here's a few shot of the setup:

The 2 noctuas provide enough cooling it seems so I removed the stock fan. As for the Noctuas the top fan is blowing down( running at 7v), back fan is blowing out the back (running with ULNA, i.e. probably around 4.5-5v).[/img]
OK im not an expert but where the gods holy fuck is ur PSU!??

Blacktales

Post by Blacktales » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:40 am

Follow the cables : bottom left

F for Fragging

Post by F for Fragging » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:00 pm

Thanks for your reply, I didn't know it was possible to use the Freezer 7 Pro as a passive cooler. If it doesn't get higher than 60 °C at full load, it should probably never go higher than 50 °C at full load with active cooling at silent noise levels, I assume.

Plekto

Post by Plekto » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:47 pm

I just picked up a Ninja from a local store. Get it if you can. It works and isn't much heavier or larger than a Zalman. I also got a few Sythe fans. Not the absolute quietest, but they should undervolt just fine and the FDB bearing is sweet.

F for Fragging

Post by F for Fragging » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:28 am

Thanks for your advice Plekto, but I'm convinced that I shouldn't buy a Ninja. I've evaluated all the options for some time already, the Freezer 7 Pro is less than half as expensive as the Ninja and should cool silently as well, the HR-01 Plus is just as expensive as the Ninja and doesn't have push pins for mounting.