Best Fan Configuration for the Thermalright Ultra and a Quad

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

oscar3d

Best Fan Configuration for the Thermalright Ultra and a Quad

Post by oscar3d » Fri May 09, 2008 2:59 pm

Hi there:

This are some Myths or Truths I'm sure the patrons here can bust wisely here.

These are things I've always wondered:

I currently have a Quadcore QX9650 with a Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme inside a P182 Case.

My exhaust fan is currently a Noctua NF-S12-1200 (1200 RPM)

The fan attached to the TRUE 120 is a Scythe Slipstream M (1200RPM).

I'm currently running both undervolted.

But here is the question:

I'm running both exhaust and CPU fans at 1055RPM

For better cooling configuration or better airflow.

a) Should both fans be running at the SAME SPEED.?

b) Should the CPU fan run SLOWER than the exhaust fan?

And my last question: Is it preferrable that both CPU and Exhaust fan to be the same brand and rated at the same RPM?

I've heard that if you are running a Quad, your fans in this configuration should run >1000 to keep it cooler (blancing noise/cooling) rather than around 700RPM when you are running a Dual Core.... is this a Myth?

Thanks you so much in advance!

seraphyn

Re: Best Fan Configuration for the Thermalright Ultra and a

Post by seraphyn » Sat May 10, 2008 11:40 am

oscar3d wrote:I've heard that if you are running a Quad, your fans in this configuration should run >1000 to keep it cooler (blancing noise/cooling) rather than around 700RPM when you are running a Dual Core.... is this a Myth?
I'll blow this one out of the water for you. I run a Q6600 (overclocked) with a TRUE, same setup as you but i use Nexus fans. I run those at 600RPM pretty much 24/7 and temperatures are more then fine.

tyeh26

Post by tyeh26 » Sun May 18, 2008 12:19 am

i don't think it's speed that you should be worried about. it should be more of a CFM issue. This is all what i think should happen so correct me if i'm wrong:

You want all the air that's being pushed out of the TRUE to be pushed out of the case. So, if your CPU Fan is too powerful, your exhaust can't keep up with what's coming out of the TRUE and the extra air stays inside your case. If you were running two of the same fans the RPM / CFM ratio would be the same so you wouldn't have to worry, but it isn't. So some how you have to make sure your noctua has a higher CFM than your scythe.

something else to consider is the fact that the CFM of your scythe isn't the CFM coming out of the TRUE becuase of the air resistance/turbulence it is hitting. So take the CFM of the scythe and.... divide it by something. I think i read somehwere that a TRUE impedes 73% of the air coming into it. i don't know how this affects CFM though.

you can always use the hand test by just sticking your hand behind the cooler and feeling how much air is being pushed out and same with the noctua and judge what your RPMs should be.

^ just my opinion.

Aris

Post by Aris » Sun May 18, 2008 9:19 am

All the things you've heard are hogwash.

Use w/e fans you want, at w/e speed you want to obtain your personal balance between cooling and noise. End of story.

Now obviously some hardware is better than other hardware, but i dont see any poor hardware in your setup, so thats a non issue.

I personally prefer the S-Flex fans only because they produce more air pressure than the noctua fans. But thats only a personal preference. Their both very quiet.

Use them in any combination you see fit, at any speed you prefer. If your happy with the noise, and your hardware isnt overheating, then your good.

who the hell told you a fan must be over 1k rpm to cool a quad? Who the hell thinks up crazy crap like that? Probably the same yahoo's like the ones over at Nvidia that tell people they need a 1200watt PSU for a high end SLI setup.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sun May 18, 2008 10:09 am

tighter the finspace in sink are, more air pressure it needs to cool effectively. S-flex and Nexus are great due their great static pressure. Wider the fin space, less static ppressure is needed, there fore Ninja is good with Noctua fan or similar. Ultra definately needs high static pressure fan to work optimum.

Slips stream is good fan but I am personally not convinced its quality as heatsink fan for tight finspaced cooler like TRUE. It will work but I am sure fan owning greater static pressure would work bit better. However if your temps are fine there is no need to start changing fans.