Andy Samurai, Triton 75 or Zipang

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Itulucas

Andy Samurai, Triton 75 or Zipang

Post by Itulucas » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:40 am

Hi,

First of all, sorry for my bad english. I'm new here, i was searching a cooler for my new PC and google has driven me here.
As i've said, i'm searching a cpu cooler that can fit in my computer. It's a e8400 in a maximus formula. I've a rebel sharkoon 9 with a 25 cm side fan and i don't know which of these coolers can fit in my case.

Could you help me?

Thanks a lot.

AuraAllan
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by AuraAllan » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:52 am

Hello and Welcome to SPCR !

No need to excuse for "bad english".

Please take a look at the Recommended Heatsinks list on the front page.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:03 am

Yeah, welcome no need to worry about bad english. Don't be scared, we don't mind engrish aslong you make yourself understandeable, we will help you anyway we can. Welcome to the SPCR, path of true silencer ^^

Zipang is nice cooler, I suggest you also read detailed all the reviews of SPCR recomended heatsinks that are in your intrest. Forexample Zipang cools very well and has one the quietest stock coolers ^^

I am not sure but someone said that in new Andy's you get slipstream fans, which are very very good, especially undervolted the 1200+ versions. 800 and 500 versions do not even undervolting in most cases but are silent out of box.

Felger Carbon

Re: Andy Samurai, Triton 75 or Zipang

Post by Felger Carbon » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:23 am

Itulucas wrote:I've a rebel sharkoon 9 with a 25 cm side fan and i don't know which of these coolers can fit in my case.
The problem is, the "25cm" side fan will eat overhead inside the case. The Zipang is out. If your case is 200mm wide, it will accept HS+fans ~131-133mm high. If not, can you provide a pointer to the case specs and pics? I'm (cough) somewhat familiar with big-fan cases, as I'm sure Aris would confirm... :P

bgavin

Post by bgavin » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:09 am

Andy Samurai Dimensions

Zipang Dimensions

Shuriken Dimensions

The Zipang installed height is 110mm with fan.
The Andy looks to be 104mm without fan. This would make the Andy even taller than the Zipang.
The Shuriken looks to be suitable. It is only 65mm installed height including the fan.

Itulucas

Post by Itulucas » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:13 pm

I've read the recommended heatsinks in this page and there are others better but i think they would reach the side fan. This afternoon i've been comparing the sizes and the prices of these heatsinks and i think the one that could fit without problems is the triton 75. Anyone thinks it could give me any problem with the case or the chipset heatsink from the maximus formula?
Finally, the last cuestion, here, i can buy a 12cm fan from artic cooling, the AF12025 PWM or the AF12025 L, it's good for this heatsink? Any other (as cheap as this, please :D) from xlence, sharkoon, scythe, tacens...

Thanks a lot, again.

Fallsroad

Post by Fallsroad » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:38 pm

Itulucas wrote:I've read the recommended heatsinks in this page and there are others better but i think they would reach the side fan. This afternoon i've been comparing the sizes and the prices of these heatsinks and i think the one that could fit without problems is the triton 75. Anyone thinks it could give me any problem with the case or the chipset heatsink from the maximus formula?
Finally, the last cuestion, here, i can buy a 12cm fan from artic cooling, the AF12025 PWM or the AF12025 L, it's good for this heatsink? Any other (as cheap as this, please :D) from xlence, sharkoon, scythe, tacens...

Thanks a lot, again.
The Triton should fit in your set up and on your motherboard. The clearance around it is pretty good. You do need to acount for an extra 25mm or so for the fan on top of it.

The cooling is very good, as the SPCR review notes. Since you are using it on an Intel CPU I can recommend it. I have one that I use on a dual core Opteron and the mounting system for socket 939 is pretty lame. I've made it workable, and the temps are far below my older Thermaltake Silent Boost cooler (I have a rather whiny post about it elsewhere, but I managed to get it to the point where it works well in my set up. The issue is about the 939 mounting options, so it doesn't apply to your rig).

Using it for a socket 775 I am sure it performs better as the push pins will give you better pressure on the CPU heat spreader. It is also pretty light so the push pins should be enough to hold it securely to the motherboard.

I use a Noctua NF-P12 fan. It never goes over about 650RPM which renders it dead silent in my Solo case.

EDIT: Either of those fans ought to work fine with it. Personally, I'd use a Scythe Slipstream 1200, just because I've read so many good things about them here and they are not expensivve, and use the Scythe Flex fans in my own cases. I had the Noctua on hand and it works for this particular application so I didn't want to spend any more money.

Itulucas

Post by Itulucas » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:09 pm

Ok, thanks, i'm decided :D . As all of you know, the triton uses heatpipes which describe a "7" shape. Since my pc is an ATX tower and it's going to be stand up, how i have to install the heatsink to have more performance? It doesn't matter?

Fallsroad

Post by Fallsroad » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:12 pm

Itulucas wrote:Ok, thanks, i'm decided :D . As all of you know, the triton uses heatpipes which describe a "7" shape. Since my pc is an ATX tower and it's going to be stand up, how i have to install the heatsink to have more performance? It doesn't matter?
Asus lit in the box shows the heat sink set up with the bend in the heat pipes facing the rear of the board. I gather they want the pipes to remain roughly horizontal if possible, so you could reverse it 180 degrees if that improves its position inside the case. Chances are it will also work very well in a "vertical" position where the pipes run north/south, but I'm just going off the instruction sheet.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:01 am

I happen to own a Zipang, two Shurikens, and two XP-120s.......all "blow-down" type heatsinks. And I have built custom cases to take advantage of this type of cooler. My last case with a side-mounted 220mm fan worked out pretty well with an XP-120.

I was never able to run the heat-sinks fanless however....due to the use of a hot CPU. With a moderately hot CPU (say 65W max) you could possibly run a fanless heat-sink like a Zipang. But the problem becomes one of clearance....

I have tried the Shurikens on the bench only.....and I was impressed. That cooler should fit in anything, even with the fan in place. Cheap as it is, I'd be tempted to try it first.