Best 92mm cooler? (Q6600 in mind)

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

kernel32

Best 92mm cooler? (Q6600 in mind)

Post by kernel32 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:32 am

Hello guys, I'm looking for the best 92mm cooler available now. Currently I'm using a Pentium Dual-Core E2160 overclocked to 3.0GHz with an Arctic Cooling Alpine 775. It's doing it's job fine for now, but under artifical load the CPU gets aroung 75 degrees Celsius, and that's after only 5 or so minutes.. I'd like to change my cooler, and while there's always the Freezer64, I'd like to have something more effective than that, and also I have in mind the Q6600, so that will have to cool the Quad also. I read the review of the Xigmatek HDT-S963 (will that do the Quad?) but I don't like the pushpins, they tend to bend mobos, and I really like mine the way it is right now :o so I'm looking for something with a bolt-through kit possibly. I know that Xigmatek makes a bolt-through kit for all their coolers but it's impossible to find here in Bulgaria. Also another problem is that my case is fairly short in height, the CPU socket is is quite close to the mobo edge (that is, the PSU) and I think 120mm coolers won't fit, that's why I'm looking for a 92mm one.
I had my eyes on the Ultra-120A for a while (which is somewhat cheaper than the HR-01 Plus), but it looks so big in person it's just scary. It may fit when tilted to 90 degrees but that way it will dump the hot air right in the PSU, which isn't really good, is it?
Also, the PWM control on my mobo is quite quirky, it works, but only over 1500rpm lol, it can't slow the fan any lower, soooooo... the fan on the cooler has to be quite quiet even at 12V lol. A local shop here sells the Scythe S-Flex 1600rpm fan, I'm considering it for the Ultra-120A or the HR-01 Plus if I buy one of these huge honkers.
I can do a quick search in ebay for a second hand XP-90 too, with a bolt-through kit for socket 775, but I doubt it will cool the Quad (and maybe it's a little bit too much of a hassle).
So what would you say, is there a solution to my problem?
Thanks in advance, Vlado

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:13 am

have you considered Thermalright Ultima 90? Its made for 92mm fans but can be mounted with 120mm fans aswell..

kernel32

Post by kernel32 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:22 am

Actually, no, you're the first to point me to this heatsink. I can probably order it, but it's out of stock currently in the shop that carries the thermalrights here, so that's why I overlooked it. But will it be good enough for a Quad?

Quick edit: just checked thermalright's site, the HR-01 Plus is 110mm wide, and the Ultima-90 is 115... It's only a little shorter, that's all :( It's just not worth it, it's probably an inferior heatsink and it's only 3 euros cheaper than the HR-01 Plus.

It's important for me the heatsink to be not wider than 100-110mm.

xev

Post by xev » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:05 am

look at xigmatech. HDT-SD96x series should fit ur specs

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835233001

the XIGMATEK HDT-S963 looks like it fits (width is 92mm) and is really good deal now

kernel32

Post by kernel32 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:07 pm

Yup, as I already said earlier I took a good look at the HDT-S963 and I quite like it, except the fact that it uses pushpins. I also know about the bolt-through kit that Xigmatek sells for their coolers, but again as I said it's impossible to find in Bulgaria, where I live. Newegg won't deliver the part here ;)
But with all that said, I'd like to ask if you or anyone else reading has seen this cooler installed? Does it really bend the mobo?
Also, what's you opinion about the Scythe Shuriken? It's quite compact and has three heatpipes (six pairs). Has anyone used it to cool an Intel Quad?
Thanks for you patience :P

PS: sorry about that double posting in the other forum, I just wondered where to post this and finally posted it on both places :D

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:52 am

Well Ultima is couple slightly the TRUE, so it would be sufficient for Quads.

protellect

Post by protellect » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:27 am

I have an artic cooler freezer 7 that i'm pretty happy with on my Q9450

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835186134

xev

Post by xev » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:19 am

i have the xigmatek 120 mm version and it doesnt bend the mobo at all in my case. if you are worried about the mounting, you can get a bolt-thru kit thats essentially the same as the thermalright bolt-thru kit. it costs like $6 here, so probably 5-10 euro/lev.

the arctic freezer 7 is a good cheap cooler, but its generally not in top 5 with quad core coolers.

kernel32

Post by kernel32 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:56 pm

Xev, yea, you're probably right and I think I'll buy the smaller xigmatek, and will try to find the bolt-through kit somewhere, ebay or something. The guys here don't carry it at all, which is pretty strange.

protellect, can you tell me some temperatures? I'm trying to deside between the Q6600 and the Q9300, they're close price-wise in my country, but I know the Q6600 is hotter, or at least Intel says it's hotter. I know some of the latest revisions of known models are considerably less power-hungry, but they stay under the previous higher TDP value, I think that's the case with the G0 revision of the Q6600.

KaOSoFt

Post by KaOSoFt » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:10 pm

Hello, kernel32.

I have a Q6600 cooled by a Thermalright Ultima-90i.

You can see the results in this message. Sorry, it's a spanish speaking site, and I'm quite lazy to retranslate everything. Use Google Translate, it'll be enough.

Have fun!

kernel32

Post by kernel32 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:21 am

Hehe, I understand somewhat spanish;) no worries, thanks for you input on this. I wasn't thinking of overclocking the Quad, but now, seeing your results.. my IDLE temperatures right now are like your LOAD temperatures on your Quad which is simply hilarious.. :? oh well.. the Alpine has never been a performance king :)