Mounting HR-01 Plus on 775 - which side do the O-rings go?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

bolek
Friend of SPCR

Mounting HR-01 Plus on 775 - which side do the O-rings go?

Post by bolek » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:28 pm

I am mounting my new HR-01 Plus on a socket 775 motherboard. I am not clear on which side of the motherboard the rubber O-rings should be. The reason is that the official instructions here http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/ ... 01plus.htm suggest that the O-rings go on the back side. However the SPCR review description here http://www.silentpcreview.com/article842-page3.html seems to say that the O-rings should go on the top side of the motherboard, underneath the two mouting brackets.

So, which is it?

Much obliged,

Bolek

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:31 am

I've mounted my SI 128 SE which has same mounting system with the Thermalrights instructions. No problems have arsien in past 3 months since the installation.

maxdido

Post by maxdido » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:30 pm

I just installed the thermalright HR-01 PLUS and the instructions from thermalright are correct.
the O-rings are to secure the "hollow pillars", so they don't fall out the backplate.

Quote from thermalright instructions:
To begin installation, please insert the hollow pillars through the mounting holes from the back of the plate and then use the appropriate O-rings to secure in place
Quote from SPCR review:
On the top side of the motherboard, two mounting arms (with rubber washers to prevent short-circuits) are screwed through into the backplate
I think they made a mistake becuase I don't have rubber washers on the mounting arms. And If you look at the picture number 3 on page 3 of the SPCR review you don't see them.

After installation I noticed that you can still rotate the cooler by 5 degrees.
I wondered if I did things correct but according to SPCR review this is normal.

Hopefully this info is helpfull.
Kind regards,
max.

nafets

Post by nafets » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:28 pm

Last edited by nafets on Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

maxdido

Post by maxdido » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:38 pm

Nafets, if I read your diagram correct then I think you are wrong. Have a look at this page from thermalright, look and read at step2: use the appropriate O-rings to secure in place

http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/ ... 01plus.htm

Hope to hear your thoughts about this soon.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:14 am

Mounting rings should be go behind the motherboard, because they're also designed to hold attachment sockets in place.

nafets

Post by nafets » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:38 am

Last edited by nafets on Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

cienislaw

Post by cienislaw » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:42 am

nafets, you are wrong - ninja instructions have nothing to hr-01 plus. its very simple why - when you secure brackets from front of motherboard, and secure heatsink there IS NO WAY that brackets will touch mobo. o-rings are only to secure pillars in backplate and pillars are long enough to be above mobo surface. in ninja there was a direct touch of front brackets with mobo, so there was a need for something to isolate them from mobo surface.

nick705

Post by nick705 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:46 am

cienislaw wrote:nafets, you are wrong - ninja instructions have nothing to hr-01 plus. its very simple why - when you secure brackets from front of motherboard, and secure heatsink there IS NO WAY that brackets will touch mobo. o-rings are only to secure pillars in backplate and pillars are long enough to be above mobo surface. in ninja there was a direct touch of front brackets with mobo, so there was a need for something to isolate them from mobo surface.
Exactly.

The top brackets are bolted solidly to the backplate via the hollow pillars, but the whole assembly should be "loose" in the motherboard holes. When the main body of the heatsink is screwed to the brackets, they are pulled *away* from the motherboard PCB, and the mounting pressure is applied by pulling the soft pads on the backplate hard against the back of the mobo, directly beneath the CPU socket.

If the brackets seem to be solidly attached to the top of the mobo, and the bracket/pillar/backplate assembly is immovable before you attach the heatsink proper, then you've done it wrong, and you risk getting insufficient or unequal pressure.

I learnt this the hard way with an Ultima-90... in my defence though, Thermalright's instructions were considerably more vague when I bought my heatsink than they are today...

Scrooge

Post by Scrooge » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:51 pm

Strange... I recently installed two of these and would have sworn the ThermalRight instructions said to use the O-rings on top of the motherboard. Unfortunately, both sets of instructions are with the computers two states away.

What I can add is that both were used on P5E-VM HDMIs, and adding the O-rings (I neglected them completely the first time) gave the mounting brackets a more comforting clearance over the VRM blocks.

Does anyone think these are actually a hazard to fall off the way I installed them?

nick705

Post by nick705 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:13 pm

Scrooge wrote: Does anyone think these are actually a hazard to fall off the way I installed them?
It shouldn't really matter, provided the actual brackets/pillars/backplate combination is solidly screwed together - once the heatsink is screwed down and the brackets are pulled "up," it's the length of the pillars between the backplate and the brackets themselves which determines the final height of the brackets "above" the motherboard/VRM blocks, and the incorrectly positioned O-rings won't make any difference one way or the other (bit difficult to explain in words, but hopefully you get the gist).

The purpose of the O-rings is simply to hold the pillars in position in the backplate while you're fixing it all together - without them, the pillars will tend to fall out every time you turn the backplate over, resulting in much frustration and colourful language. I imagine you've discovered this yourself already though... :lol:

Scrooge

Post by Scrooge » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:46 pm

nick705 wrote:
Scrooge wrote: Does anyone think these are actually a hazard to fall off the way I installed them?
It shouldn't really matter, provided the actual brackets/pillars/backplate combination is solidly screwed together - once the heatsink is screwed down and the brackets are pulled "up," it's the length of the pillars between the backplate and the brackets themselves which determines the final height of the brackets "above" the motherboard/VRM blocks, and the incorrectly positioned O-rings won't make any difference one way or the other (bit difficult to explain in words, but hopefully you get the gist).

The purpose of the O-rings is simply to hold the pillars in position in the backplate while you're fixing it all together - without them, the pillars will tend to fall out every time you turn the backplate over, resulting in much frustration and colourful language. I imagine you've discovered this yourself already though... :lol:
Heh... getting everything positioned just right takes a couple minutes, but even doing it my way I don't actually find it hard at all! It's not as friendly as their 775 bolt-thru kit, but I guess they wanted the lower price of universal fitments. Still respect them for using a proper mounting style!