Beware - New idea with a new cooler (Areocool Deep Impact)

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Td_nw

Beware - New idea with a new cooler (Areocool Deep Impact)

Post by Td_nw » Mon May 26, 2003 10:31 pm

Neato heatpipe / radiator thing

Ok...
1) Notice the fan that comes with this thing. Built for low CFM and 24 dBA, and that is the stock Aero fan.
3) Airflow is horizontal thru the unit.
2) It can mount any of the four compass points.
4) It did 61C passively on a slighly overclocked rig.

How about ducting this to a rear intake JML 120mm fan (Coolcases D8000) and running it without the supplied fan?

What do you think, doable or have I been drinking to much again?

rpc180
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by rpc180 » Mon May 26, 2003 10:35 pm

I was looking at the design also, the review mentioned that the HSF was as efficient as it could be (they swapped the stock fan with a Delta and found only a 2C difference). You could run it fanless and get the effect if you ducted it to a rear fan. I think there's only a maximum level that you can hope to attain with this cooler since what you cool is essentially the pipe and not the immediate material near the core ... could be a limitation in the design to have the fan blow like that (I believe it's a limitation inherent in many of the coolers designed like this).

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Tue May 27, 2003 3:05 am

That thing looks interesting. I think we need a review mikec. It would be cool to duct it to a rear exhaust like you said.

Kostik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Kostik » Tue May 27, 2003 3:38 am

marc999
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by marc999 » Tue May 27, 2003 8:26 am

I agree with GamingGod, I would really like to see a review too :!: I bet this thing could passively cool a Tualatin Celeron no problem (which is what I have :D ). That's of course if it fits the Tualatins, but it looks like it would.

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Tue May 27, 2003 12:48 pm

it would be good to try dutcing that to a 120mm or 92mm exausht fan.

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Tue May 27, 2003 1:39 pm

i also thought that the heatsin kcould be greatly improved if teh core was silver. Since it really relies on the ability to transfer heat form the pipe to radiator part.

Colt

Post by Colt » Tue May 27, 2003 2:35 pm

Just a quick comment. All heatpipes, including this Aerocool Deep Impact, work best when the heatpipe is oriented vertically (to maximize the natural circulation that will occur with the heatpipe media). That means this heatpipe will work best when your motherboard is flat and parallel to the table/floor (i.e.: desktop cases).

In the linked review of the Aerocool Deep Impact, it is not clear how the reviewer's motherboard was oriented when he performed his test, but I suspect that he ran it as a test bench out of a case with the motherboard sitting on a table.

Therefore, owners of tower cases should not expect the same level of performance that the review experienced.

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Tue May 27, 2003 3:24 pm

Interesting product, shame it is only for socket A and not for socket 478 as well. :cry:

Here are some more reviews, 9 in total but not all in English.
Link page to other reviews

Enjoy reading. :D

scalar

Orientation?

Post by scalar » Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:40 pm

Colt wrote:Just a quick comment. All heatpipes, including this Aerocool Deep Impact, work best when the heatpipe is oriented vertically (to maximize the natural circulation that will occur with the heatpipe media).
As I understand the technology, orientation is not important for a heatpipe because the liquid flows by wicking action on the inside surface of the pipe, and there is insufficient liquid to actually pool inside the pipe so it doesn't "run down the walls".

Therefore it doesn't matter if the hotspot is at the top or bottom, because the wicking action will pull the liquid towards the hotspot as vapor evaporates from that spot.

However, that's the general explanation of the technology. I've never seen real-world tests of different pipe orientations to see if position has an actual effect. Where did you hear that orientation matters? I've not seen a website that talks about heatpipe orientation, but I'm always looking for more information on this technology.. :)

Bat

Post by Bat » Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:29 pm

Today I read a review of another heatsink on the same principle: similar enough that I'm adding it to this thread rather than making a new one.
http://www.overclockers.com/articles754/

SunMaster

Aerocool Deep Impact

Post by SunMaster » Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:15 am

Hello.

I've just installed one of those Deep Impact coolers ( the one at http://www.aerocool.us/cooler/dp101.htm ). I run it with a zalman fanmate and instead of the stock 3Krpm@24db I run it at around 1500rpm making my xp2800+ (no overclocking) idle at around 58 centigrades or so. Very recommended.