Ninja 2 or HR-01+ on AM2 board

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Ninja 2 or HR-01+ on AM2 board

Post by teejay » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:42 pm

Hi all,

I know this topic has been chewed many times on SPCR, but I have not found too much specifics for an AM2 install. I am finalizing my shopping list for a complete new system. It will be Athlon X2/AM2+ based on a Gigabyte GA-MA790X-DS4 motherboard. It is going to be installed in a Lian Li V1000 case, which features an inverted motherboard layout. This means that the cpu cooler must support front-to-back airflow, since there is no up/down airflow path around the cpu socket. If possible, I want to use the rear-mounted case fan as the only cpu fan.

I am currently using an original Ninja on a S939 cpu, so I am leaning towards getting a Ninja 2 for my new build. However, I've read some posts commenting on the flimsy push-pin mounting. I won't be moving my system around much, but I do intend to travel to LAN parties by car every now and then. As an alternative, I've looked at the Thermalright HR-01+. However, that one needs a special S-type heatsink clip as well as a customized retention module to achieve front-to-back airflow. With those additions, I do not get the feeling that mounting the HR-01+ will be more secure than the Ninja 2.

Any comments? Alternative suggestions are certainly welcome, but my retailer does not carry all brands so I'm kind of limited to Scythe and TR (OK, and Zalman, but they have not produced very good HSFs since the 7x00 IMHO).

Update: I've only just learned that the pushpins on the Ninja 2 are only used on socket 775 systems; AM2(+) still uses socket lugs, just like the old Ninja. Is this mounting mechanism stable enough on AM2?

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:22 am

There should be no problems using standard lugs for AM2 attachment. When compearing AMD and Intel socket attachment, AMD does have an edge over intels Push-pins...

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:49 pm

I have used the HR-01+ on an AMD6400+ X2 with an M2N32SLI deluxe (Asus) mobo . This Mobo has the CPU socket oriented so as the cooler faces toward the rear fan and it works brilliantly - with the fan at around 500 rpm ! and a rear case fan at around 800 rpm . But the same model cooler did not work quite as well on an Asus M3N - EMH -HDMI mobo with a 6000+ cpu , it required the fan to run at around 800 -900 rpm to get the same temps . This ,I believe is due to the fan on the cooler blowing upwards and becaus my PSU , an Antec earthwatts 500 has an 80mm rear fan - not a 120mm fan underneath as some do , it mucks up my airflow (both machines are in first gen Sonata cases ) . So I would suggest if you can fit it in your setup , the Ninja would most likely be a better choice if your CPU socket faces that way . If you have a Gigabyte Mobo with the cooler mounting held on with plastic pins I would go with the HR01+ even if the socket faced the "wrong" way as they are not that secure .
I have to admit though that even with the socket the "wrong" way that once we increased the fan RPM the HR-01 has been issue free and is still pretty quiet ( the 160 gig Samsung drive is audible over it as is the PSU ) . I found the Thermalright mounting a little fiddly but quite secure - and the base of one of the HR-01+ coolers was not flat the other was fine . I have not had a Ninja 2 but have (and still do) had one of the earlier ones but it was fitted to a P4 3.4gig machine which has been donated to my grandson and after lengthy service running with just a case fan (panaflo 120 "L" on a Zalman fanmate ) has never overheated ! So if the new Ninja coolers are as good as the early ones they are pretty decent coolers with just decent airfow .

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:58 pm

Thanks for your extensive reply. After much deliberation, I've decided to build an E5200 Core2Duo system with a HR-01 instead of an X2 setup... my early-model-Ninja is still performing its magic on an AMD Venice 3000+ while I type this post: works like a charm!