HR-01Plus on Socket AM2.

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Derek Baker

HR-01Plus on Socket AM2.

Post by Derek Baker » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:02 pm

Installing an HR-01Plus on a Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H.

The backplate is not held securely to the rear of the mobo. There is a large amount of rattle. It was not like this when I installed the same heatsink on a Socket 775 mobo a couple of months ago.

What gives?

ido

Post by ido » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:23 pm

I installed the same heatsink on a Gigabyte 740G and it fits nicely. The AM2 assembly parts differ from those of the 775 socket, make sure you use the right ones.

Godspeed.

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:19 pm

The mounting that is used on both the HR01+ and the SI128-se is at best fiddly and at worst unpleasant to use but is better ( by a small margin ) than using the stock clips once bolted up it is almost secure although the heatsink can still be rotated . does the job ! mine do not rattle though once fully installed and tightened but I have noticed slight deformation on the mobo around the heatsink mounting holes on the underside of the board caused by the mounting lugs (the little hex headed nut things ) pulling up into the mobo when the heatsink is tightened .

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:05 am

I have no rattleing with my SI-128 SE installation on Gigabyte board. However I used ghettomod to increase slightly thepressure and make cooler non twistable:

I placed piece of hard rubbet between attachment bar and cooler. Its very seucre now and I haven't heard any rattling.

Derek Baker

Post by Derek Baker » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:57 am

I've definitely got the right bits.

I have not yet put the heatsink itself on.

There is vertical movement of the two brackets which each take two screws to which the crossbar bolts.

EDIT: Just done a dry run; everything seems suitably tight once the spring-loaded bolts are fully tightened.

Thanks.