How do I remove the stock heatsink from my slot 478 P4 CPU?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tapwater

How do I remove the stock heatsink from my slot 478 P4 CPU?

Post by tapwater » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:32 pm

Hi all,

I've searched the forums but not found an answer to this question; apologies if I've missed something obvious.

I'm replacing the stock heatsink+fan on my slot 478 P4 CPU with a Scythe Infinity. I can remove the CPU+HSF assembly from the motherboard OK, only swearing a few times. The HSF seems very firmly affixed to the CPU though, and the two come out together as one unit.

If it was something less delicate I'd just wedge a flathead screwdriver between the CPU and HSF and apply force. Given that it's the heart of my computer I'm nervous about doing this.

I figured this must be a common issue, given I'm unlikely to be the first person to want to remove the HSF from a P4, but I haven't been able to find clear instructions about how to separate the two. Maybe I'm searching badly, or maybe they don't usually stick together quite like this.

Anyway: can anyone offer advice?

tehcrazybob
Friend of SPCR

Post by tehcrazybob » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:47 pm

Yeah, that happens a lot. Technically, the processor is supposed to stay in the socket when you remove the heatsink; I've never heard of pins being pulled out but I suspect too many removals like that could give you problems. Unfortunately, it's more or less unavoidable - that's one of the reasons Intel switched to LGA 775 and its retention bracket.

I can certainly understand your hesitation to use violence on a processor, although on one as old as that I'd be a bit more cavalier than with a modern processor. I wouldn't suggest prying, at any rate. Start with some rubbing alcohol, and see if you can clean up some of the thermal paste. Ultimately, you'll just want to hold the chip carefully so no pins are in harm's way, and twist firmly to pop it loose.

tapwater

Post by tapwater » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:55 pm

Hey, thanks for that!

I'll give it a go.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:57 pm

hair dryer.

warm it up a little, and then just try to wiggle it off. i've managed to pop them off with screw drivers and minimum damage (nothing apparent) but i don't want to talk for others.

if all else fails, just use a flat bladed screwdriver wrapped in a paper towel.

that will do the trick easily.

tapwater

Post by tapwater » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:17 pm

Thanks for that.

I got it off ok by leaving the computer on for a while so everything was nice and warm, getting the clip off as soon as I turned it off, and twisting the heatsink.

(I think the first time I tried it took me so long to work out how to get the slot 478 clip off that everything cooled down and stiffened up.)

Now I'm just working out where to put the fan. The Scythe is pretty big and fills up most of the available space in the case. The heatsink ends up sitting almost right next to the case fan. I wonder if I could get away with just letting the case fan suck air through the heatsink, rather than having to attach another fan?

Hmm...

Anyway: thank you both for your help. It's much appreciated.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:24 pm

well, if you're really close to the edge, then i don't see why not, letting the case fan work as the CPU fan should work without a problem.

i'd suggest trying it without a second fan, checking the temps, and judging from that. if your temps are normal, there's no reason, and with a higher performance cooler, i would expect that to be the case.

tehcrazybob
Friend of SPCR

Post by tehcrazybob » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:33 pm

Running large coolers fanless is a pretty common situation around here. If you read through some of the SPCR articles, you'll see a fair few systems with that configuration. My computer used the same arrangement, with a Scythe Ninja, until I had to upgrade the cooling to deal with 100°F ambient temps for part of the summer (and I probably would have been safe even without improving cooling):