How to control CPU Fan speed (CNPS9500, P5K-Deluxe)

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

BikePIlot

How to control CPU Fan speed (CNPS9500, P5K-Deluxe)

Post by BikePIlot » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:57 am

Hi, new here. I just built a new rig and have manged to get speedfan to control all my case fans, but I've not been able to get the CPU fan under control.

My motherboard is an Asus P5K-Deluxe Wifi and the CPU cooler is a CNPS9500 (three pin fan connector plugged into CPU fan header on mobo). I have fiddled about in speedfan and have also tried the Q-fan control in the bios but neither has had any effect on the CPU fan speed (2500-2600rpm). I would really like to be able to set it such that all the fans will slow down (or stop) when there isn't a tremendous load on the system.

One other minor issue, in speedfan it seems that all the chassis fan headers are not able to be controlled independently. That is, all four of my fans (each plugged into a separate header on the mobo) change speed with "speed01" in speedfan. Ideally I'd like to be able to run some of the chassis fans a touch faster than the others.

burebista

Post by burebista » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:28 pm

For your CPU fan issues try a PWM one.
For your second issues I can tell you that's a feature not a bug of your MB. My P5Q-E peforms identical with yours, no CPU fan controllable via SpeedFan (only via Q-Fan and only for a PWM fan) and all my chassis fan are tied by one speed.

baconandeggs

Post by baconandeggs » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:39 pm

what about using a zalman fanmate or multi fan controller which you can adjust manually.

BikePIlot

Post by BikePIlot » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:02 pm

I have a fan mate, but would really like to have the fan adjust automatically with load.

JaYp146

Post by JaYp146 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:26 pm

I own the same motherboard.

Only one of the 3pin headers gives you RPM control. If memory serves I believe it's the one at the top left-most corner ... directions:

Run Speedfan.
Go to Configure, Advanced tab, Winbond W83627DHG, set PWM 4 type to DC output. Then go back to the original Speedfan window, adjust Speed01 and see if that makes a difference.

BikePIlot

Post by BikePIlot » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:59 am

That worked for the chassis fans, but the CPU fan is still going full speed? I have it plugged into the "cpu fan" header on the mobo (the only 4-pin header, but my fan is a 3pin fan - not sure if that matters).

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:25 am

the only 4-pin header, but my fan is a 3pin fan - not sure if that matters
Yes, this is the problem. Recent Asus motherboards will only control 4pin PWM fan on the CPU fan header. You will need another way to control (on case fan header maybe?) or swap the fan on 9500 or if you can't/won't a new CPU cooler.
Also on my P5B board, like yours, the case fan speeds are all tied together.
Regards, Seb

Redzo

Post by Redzo » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:53 pm

Asus has a feature called QFan. It HAS to be turned off in BIOS for SpeedFan to work.

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:02 am

On my Asus P5B-E Plus if Q-Fan is enabled Speedfan can still work. Have to go to configure -> advanced -> winbond xxxxx(I think - not in front of PC) and change the speed control from Q-Fan/smart fan (or whatever it is) to Manual PWM. This allows Speedfan to over ride the Q-Fan control and then control the fan speeds.
Hope this helps, Seb