Fan issues done. ARGH! now its HDs!

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Minotaar
Friend of SPCR

Fan issues done. ARGH! now its HDs!

Post by Minotaar » Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:14 pm

Im the poster from the previous topic "silencing my noisy Dual MP"

So with the assitance of several helpful posters (thank you all) I've done some experimenting.

First of all, you were totally right about the intake fans. Good bye intake fans!

For the longest time I thought the noise was from the residual fans. Its not. Its HD whine. and its bad :(

I never realized they were so noisy. Basically theres two sounds coming from my box - theres a "wooosh" noise of the fans (they are well behaved now), and theres the hard drive whine. Im pretty much ok with the woosh noise because its sort of at a more audible pitch than the HD whine.

Problem is... I've got 3 HDs. I could just get a new HD, but thats a giant PITA what with all the reinstalling and the transferring and what not

(its a 15 gig GXP, a 27 gig maxtor, and a 30 gig maxtor, all at 7200) pretty noisy

will splurging and getting 1 single drive fix all this noise? In the antec case there isnt room to suspend all these drives, and the stupid IDE cables dont reach to the top of the case bc the stupid Tyan design (CURSE TYAN!!) only lets them reach to the bottom 5.25 drive bay (occupied by CD rom)

what should i do?

Harry Azol

Post by Harry Azol » Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:23 pm

why spend money trying to quiet them down?
Just replace them, and sell the 3 drives on ebay or something.. you will end up spending a minimal amount of money.. 3 smaller drives are usually worth more than a single larger drive.

You could get a baracuda IV 80gig, or a baracuda V 120gig .. :)

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:29 pm

I'll have to agree with harry on getting a new drive all together. Although you may want to keep the 15 gig to back stuff whe you reformatt.

Zhentar
Patron of SPCR

Post by Zhentar » Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:28 pm

you can get longer rounded IDE cables for pretty cheap online at www.svc.com and many, many other places... I found they can really work miracles in the right cases; they solved all the problems I had with the CD tower I was building (needed a server to host something like 8 CD-ROM drives...)

also I think a new hard drive is the easiest solution to your problem; suspension and foam/rubber boxes will help, but at the cost of temperature; and they still won't get the job completely done.

ruprag

Post by ruprag » Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:14 am

Since you only have aprx 80Gb of hard disks, I'd just buy a new one.

But whatever you do DON'T buy a WD 80Gb disk, I have one and it WHINES :-(

DeadBySundown
Friend of SPCR

Post by DeadBySundown » Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:54 am

Seems that replacing the drives with something bigger, newer, and quieter would be the thing to do here. I recently purchased a few of the new Maxtor DM9s with the 8MB cache option; with acoustic management enabled they are indeed very quiet.

ccorayer

Post by ccorayer » Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:21 am

Get the new drive. I have a Maxtor 120. With accoustic management on and a set of EAR isolation mounts it is SILENT. Fan noise by FAR is the biggest issue. And the vast majority of it comes from my video card fan ( replaced and undervolted ).

Sell off the old drives. Try a Barracuda IV or V. I doubt you'll really be unhappy with it. It'll be worth it.

SometimesWarrior
Patron of SPCR

Post by SometimesWarrior » Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:26 am

You'd have to do some major work to keep all those drives cool and silent. You can get a 120GB Seagate Barracuda V for $90 at BestBuy online with mail-in rebates, a drive which will also run much faster than your current collection of drives.

Transferring data should be straightfoward. Both Seagate and Maxtor provide free software that will automatically partition your new drive and copy your old files to it. I don't know about Samsung, though; it looks like their software is a bit behind the times.

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Re: Fan issues done. ARGH! now its HDs!

Post by powergyoza » Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:19 pm

Minotaar wrote:(its a 15 gig GXP, a 27 gig maxtor, and a 30 gig maxtor, all at 7200) pretty noisy
Try your hand at the Maxtor RMA process for your 2 maxtors. Just search the forums for "lottery" and you'll find what I'm talking about.

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:21 pm

SometimesWarrior wrote:You'd have to do some major work to keep all those drives cool and silent. You can get a 120GB Seagate Barracuda V for $90 at BestBuy online with mail-in rebates, a drive which will also run much faster than your current collection of drives.

Transferring data should be straightfoward. Both Seagate and Maxtor provide free software that will automatically partition your new drive and copy your old files to it. I don't know about Samsung, though; it looks like their software is a bit behind the times.
BestBuy has been out of stock for this online deal on the 120GB since about Tuesday of this week. :( Guess who's been shopping.

Hope that saves someone the time it would take to look online at BestBuy (same offer is available through Saturday in store, if you can find them in stock.