AMD Stock heatpipe cooler sudenly decided to go 4927rpm?!

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Nighthog

AMD Stock heatpipe cooler sudenly decided to go 4927rpm?!

Post by Nighthog » Fri May 08, 2009 1:56 am

I've been messing a bit whit my computer these last days trying different fan configurations/positions/speeds to get more silent and cooler temperature.

Trying to find the most quiet combination to decent cooling in short.
Well today I encountered a weird phenomena... My AMD stock fan started to go crazy whit it's speeds as I tried some AMD OverDrive stability test to see that temperatures didn't get worse from other combinations.

It normally allways stays at 2500rpm in idle computer usage and reached about 3200rpm at most under heavy load. Well I've been messing whit positions and speeds etc and now suddenly it never ends seemingly how fast that amd stock fan wants to spin. It slowly and slowly just keeps increasing it's rpm.

I tried whit my 120mm papst fan a few centimeters above the amd cooler running at 1066rpm whit air intake hole a couple centimeters above it. This combo made the amd stock 70x70x10mm fan reach 4927rpm in 17min and there still being seemingly room to reach higher if the test had continued longer.
I just watched it reach higher and higher rpm's that I've never seen it reach before and also hear it get louder and louder at the same time. But temperatures for cpu was constant, the same numbers were kepts since the fan was about at since 3000rpm, meaning 57-60C. This stuff didn't happen when I had the 120mm fan running at max speed constantly which being about 1300rpm. the cpu fan behaved normally then whit reaching at most 3500rpm or such.

I'm wondering what speeds is the amd stock fan really made for? Some kind of vortex creation whit the 2 fans? Synchronizing?

Well I'm gonna test a 1hour long test now and see just how fast it will go. Bad thing is temps don't seem to improve whit the higher speeds. :cry:

EDIT:
Well I went for 30min and it reached 5114rpm.
Seems to stick around the 5000rpm.

Well, back and try better configuration. This is a loud and hot one :x

Xobim

Post by Xobim » Tue May 12, 2009 7:50 am

The Overdrive utility is meant to unrealisticly test your processor. It makes the chip run hotter than normal on full-load. Try downloading and running Prime95 and look whether the fan goes up to 5000 RPM.

If you have a PWM fan, you can place the fan connector on a three-pin header so it runs on 12 volts continuously. If it doesn't go up to 5K, I suggest removing the Papst fan, as its flow possibly interferes with your CPU fan and makes it accelerate.

This is all I can think of for now...