Overclocking E5200 in mini-itx case?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

glassdarkly

Overclocking E5200 in mini-itx case?

Post by glassdarkly » Fri May 15, 2009 7:20 pm

I've been planning to build a HTPC with some gaming on emulators. According to the PCSX2 site, they recommend at least a C2D 3.2ghz. Since the E5200 apparently can go up to 3.33ghz on stock voltages, what I'd like to find out is how small/quiet can I hope to go while keeping temperatures reasonable. I was looking at some of the slimmer mini-ITX cases, but one of the larger cube-type cases would be fine if necessary.

CPU: E5200
Mobo: Zotac 9300-itx Wifi

Can anyone recommend decent coolers/cases?

Thanks

Imelon

Post by Imelon » Fri May 15, 2009 11:18 pm

Heyhey, I'd give theSilverstone SG-05a go. "the best choice to pair with a high spec mini-ITX motherboard" :Check out the review at Bit-tech
They used the Zotac mobo too...
It's not the smallest m-itx case out there, but it offers a decent amount of room = upgradability,
and comes with a low rpm 120mm fan which creates a positive pressure inside the case, thus blowing heated air out the back through large vents...

Or you could consider going fanless with a low-profile heatpipe+aluminum casing solution, but they tend to be a bit pricey to the likes of me...... and I believe the lack of airflow and higher mobo temps can lead to component degradation a lot faster than inside a case providing at least a little airflow. Especially when using the system as a homeserver/mediaserver/center :P 24/7....