Mighty plastic pushpins

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

nyu3

Mighty plastic pushpins

Post by nyu3 » Fri May 29, 2009 6:33 pm

I personally don't like them, but this demonstration shows they are not that bad
http://madshrimps.be/vbulletin/f22/scyt ... est-64131/

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Sat May 30, 2009 12:36 pm

The issue is not really whether push-pins can be secure. They certainly can. The issue is that they are very difficult to install correctly with a large heatsink. There is usually at least one pin that is blocked by part of the heatsink. There is also the problem that the only real way to confirm they are locked into place is to flip the board over -- if you've got to remove the board to do a installation, what's the point of not using nuts and blots? I think if you are going to the trouble of using an aftermarket heatsink, you might as well opt for a better mounting method. If you are sticking with the boxed cooler, then it's probably not worth bitching about.

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Sat May 30, 2009 1:01 pm

I always break them after one or two removals, so I would just as soon go with a backplate option from the beginning.

mark19891989

Post by mark19891989 » Sat May 30, 2009 1:23 pm

Push pins are strong, but i hate them , there fiddley as hell, and on larger heat sinks, you have to get your hand between the case and the hsf to push the pins in.

I kind of wory about plastic clips, with a bolt, i can tighten it and no its not going any where but clips im not to sure about.

my current build has them, with my next build i will look for a hsf with a both thru kit.

new2spcr
Friend of SPCR

Post by new2spcr » Sat May 30, 2009 1:27 pm

jessekopelman wrote:The issue is not really whether push-pins can be secure. They certainly can. The issue is that they are very difficult to install correctly with a large heatsink. There is usually at least one pin that is blocked by part of the heatsink. There is also the problem that the only real way to confirm they are locked into place is to flip the board over -- if you've got to remove the board to do a installation, what's the point of not using nuts and blots? I think if you are going to the trouble of using an aftermarket heatsink, you might as well opt for a better mounting method. If you are sticking with the boxed cooler, then it's probably not worth bitching about.
Yes I agree. Push-pins are pretty secure as long as they are correctly installed which can be difficult to judge if the mobo is still mounted inside the case. I found that it was very hard to reach some of the push-pins on the Minja and apply enough force with my fingers. And the Antec P182 is a roomy case.
With Minja, I used a ruler which I let slide through the convenient crevaces which allowed me to apply decent force on the pins. So the often advertised tool-free mounting does not always apply. :twisted:

In the end, I ended up removing the MB to check whether the pins were correctly installed or not.

Wibla
Friend of SPCR

Post by Wibla » Sat May 30, 2009 3:10 pm

Been using the stock pushpins on the xigmatek coolers without problems, seems to fit very snug too, with good temps to boot... but using pushpins without having enough pressure could be a problem, ofcourse.

KansaKilla
Friend of SPCR

Post by KansaKilla » Sat May 30, 2009 10:52 pm

i'm with wibla on this one.

xigmatek ftw!

theycallmebruce

Post by theycallmebruce » Sun May 31, 2009 3:12 am

I've had no problems with pushpins on the Minja.. definitely prefer it to the hassle of removing the mobo for a bolt-thru.

new2spcr
Friend of SPCR

Post by new2spcr » Sun May 31, 2009 7:47 am

Wibla wrote:Been using the stock pushpins on the xigmatek coolers without problems, seems to fit very snug too, with good temps to boot... but using pushpins without having enough pressure could be a problem, ofcourse.
If you remove the HS and re-install it couple of times, you will see wear and tear on the plastic...

Also, I think many folks out there (not here!) misunderstand how to install those push-pins correctly. The pins have to be "neutralized" by twisting them clockwise before installation ...and once the HS is on the mobo simply push those pins until you hear a click. No more, no less.

Matija

Post by Matija » Sun May 31, 2009 8:34 am

Am I the only one who spent a solid 15 minutes trying to install a rev.A Ninja? Pushpins seem less tricky than that.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Sun May 31, 2009 9:00 am

haha, i can't say i've ever spent 15 minutes putting my ninja back on, usually less than one, i let the two clips closer to the exhaust fan slide into place, so i have more room for my hands to get the other two on...

however i have had some awkward looking installs, fixable just shifting the ninja around once it's clipped on, but that screws up the TIM.

sometimes i wish that the rear panel of cases was hinged and could be slid down or something to make that easier

Vibrator

Post by Vibrator » Sun May 31, 2009 9:51 am

Pushpins are "secure", but they don't always guarantee even pressure, nor are they always easy to use

I'm scared to use them sometimes because the force required bends my mobo lol

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:57 am

I've had mixed experiences with push-pins. I like how effortless they can make cooler installations, but have encountered pins of questionable quality.

I've so far used push-pins on two Scythe Mini Ninjas and a Xigmatek HDT-S964. Both Minjas were fine - very pleasant to install and service in fact - but on the Xigmatek the push-pins would not lock at all when rotated, instead spinning freely with an eerie creaking sound. First it was one and finally three of the four pins. I was sure the fault lie with me, so I remounted three times in total before I was ready to believe that no amount of preparation, examination or force (for pushing them through, not rotating - did that with fingertips!) was going to make the pins lock.

I compared them to the Scythe pins, but they looked identical in form. The Scythe pins would always firmly and easily lock on PCB though, and Xigmatek simply would not.

The HDT-S964 is still in charge of cooling my CPU and survived me moving house alright, but I can't help but feel slightly nervous about moving the case long distances. Some pins also come off when I pull on the heatsink, whereas Scythe ones wouldn't, so it might be a bad sample I've got. Still, I'm very much going back to bolts and backplates for my next cooler, just for the peace of mind (Noctua, here I come!).

Edit: I've used a flat screwdriver for all push-pin installations, as I've found it easier than getting my hand in there.

Jipa

Post by Jipa » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:58 am

They get the job done - most of the time, and for smaller coolers are just fine. I don't LIKE using them, but can't really say I'd hate them either. Anyway I much prefer a bolt-through method, and would choose that any day and always when given a choice (unless I had to install coolers to 100 setups or something).

The problem I've had with push pins is getting the damn things to snap in place properly, not so much them snapping off when I drop my case :roll:

thepwner

Post by thepwner » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:34 pm

What if they put some sort of thumbscrew spring rig up on pushpins? That way you could "screw" the pushpins in until they snapped into place...sound plausible?

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:22 am

thepwner wrote:What if they put some sort of thumbscrew spring rig up on pushpins? That way you could "screw" the pushpins in until they snapped into place...sound plausible?
I see no reason why this couldn't work: attach the round pin's shaft to aforementioned screw that then proceeds up and down its thread to either push the pin down or raise it up again. Would be more foolproof too, as the end of the thread would signal that the pin was in position!

A much better idea than what we currently have I think. :o

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:45 pm

Das_Saunamies wrote:
thepwner wrote:What if they put some sort of thumbscrew spring rig up on pushpins? That way you could "screw" the pushpins in until they snapped into place...sound plausible?
I see no reason why this couldn't work: attach the round pin's shaft to aforementioned screw that then proceeds up and down its thread to either push the pin down or raise it up again. Would be more foolproof too, as the end of the thread would signal that the pin was in position!

A much better idea than what we currently have I think. :o
Point of Intel push-pins is cheapness of manufacture, not quality of solution. Trying to improve it adds cost and thus nullifies the purpose of being just good enough while costing as little as possible.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:19 am

I can see that, but I have niggling doubt such a solution would cost much more to produce, assuming no metal need be used. We'll never know I'm afraid, as I doubt this is going to be properly researched so the exact size and complexity of the screw assembly could be determined. :(

Would love to know what options were considered at Intel R&D for the push-pin system.

Edit: I made some drawings and they got me thinking that perhaps not all is bliss in screw-pin land - you'd still have to push the "jaws" through the PCB, and I'm not sure having to screw while pushing is such a good idea.

thepwner

Post by thepwner » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:09 am

Das_Saunamies wrote:I can see that, but I have niggling doubt such a solution would cost much more to produce, assuming no metal need be used. We'll never know I'm afraid, as I doubt this is going to be properly researched so the exact size and complexity of the screw assembly could be determined. :(

Would love to know what options were considered at Intel R&D for the push-pin system.

Edit: I made some drawings and they got me thinking that perhaps not all is bliss in screw-pin land - you'd still have to push the "jaws" through the PCB, and I'm not sure having to screw while pushing is such a good idea.
Am I the only pervert who found that hilarious?

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:43 pm

I left it in to see if people would comment on it. :lol:

kittle
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by kittle » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:44 pm

I just buy a bolt-through kit as a matter of course and not even bother with the pushpins.

If theres no kit - then its easy to make one with simple parts from a hardware store. Gasket washers + your regular nut and bolt.

Metaluna

Post by Metaluna » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:34 am

jessekopelman wrote:Point of Intel push-pins is cheapness of manufacture, not quality of solution. Trying to improve it adds cost and thus nullifies the purpose of being just good enough while costing as little as possible.
Agreed. If Intel wanted a "better than good enough" solution, IMHO, they could simply specify that all motherboards must have a backplate with standoffs of a standard height and threading protruding through to top side (or maybe a plastic retention frame like AMD and old socket 478 boards) This would effectively make all heatsinks bolt-through and you would never have to remove the motherboard.