Choosing between CPU coolers

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Hezu

Choosing between CPU coolers

Post by Hezu » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:29 pm

Ok, situation is this: I currently have following setups:
- Intel Core 2 Duo E4400-based setup in Antec P182 with Scythe Ninja CPU cooler running semi-passive, no fans attached to the cooler itself
- Athlon X2 7750 BE -based setup in Compucase minitower with AMD boxed cooler

Now I am thinking to replace the AMD boxed cooler and already bought Xigmatek Achilles S1284 as it was about cheapest big cooler option around. Now since that these Xigmatek tower coolers unfortunately can be mounted only one way on AM2-CPUs and because there has been unrelated problems with input devices I have been hesitant to install that cooler yet. But now I have started to wonder about one alternative scenario: install the Xigmatek on this Intel setup and then use the Ninja on AMD. There is still few questions that puzzle me:
1) Can I continue semipassive operation on Intel with Xigmatek? If not, what kind of fan setup you suggest (currently I use both P182's rear and top fans)?
2) Would it be possible to cool Athlon X2 7750 without fan on the Ninja heatsink? There will be a case fan (120 mm Nexus) and PSU (Nexus Value 430) fan closeby.
3) If I need fan on Xigmatek, is that included PWM fan any good?

Olle P

Re: Choosing between CPU coolers

Post by Olle P » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:19 am

Hezu wrote:1) Can I continue semipassive operation on Intel with Xigmatek?
2) Would it be possible to cool Athlon X2 7750 without fan on the Ninja heatsink?
The answer to both questions is of course: Yes, provided you have sufficient air flow.
The only way to tell if you have sufficient air flow is to test it for yourself!

Cheers
Olle