HR-01+ rotate or leave horizontal?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

60beetle60

HR-01+ rotate or leave horizontal?

Post by 60beetle60 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:42 am

Hi guys, just after some advice with my HR-01+. I recently put together a new system with this heatsink and being am2+ its orientated horizontally so the wide side is facing up.

i wanted to know whether I'd be better of trying to change it so it faces the rear exhaust fan. Currently I've got a nexus fan under it blowing up and a nexus as an exhaust fan on the back of my case(Antec Solo), both currently at 12v. I plan on reducing the volts on the fans but am worried that the current orientation will make the PSU take in too much hot air causing its fan to speed up.

and a crappy phone pic to show what I'm talking about

Ive currently overclocked my phenom II 550 to 3.6v and its currently sitting at 28 degrees C (23 ambiant) as I type and under load goes up to 38degrees so it cooling fine atm but with a decrease in fan speed would changing the way the HR-01 faces improve temps?

also any one know the cheapest place to get an s-clip in Australia?
but yeah, rotate or not rotate?

ame

Post by ame » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:24 am

though my instinct would be to rotate I think you can try a test by removing the fan on the HR and seeing how it effects temps and noise.
Since the nexus on the HR is blowing air directly into the PSU removing it might cause more air to be sucked out the back fan. Nexus at 12V likely moves more air then the PSU fan alone.

Your temps are rediculously low :D so trying a passive HR01+ cant hurt.

Broadleaf

Post by Broadleaf » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:01 am

If your power supply has a 120mm fan adjacent to the CPU, then rotating your CPU Heat Sink won't solve your concern about the PS inhaling heated air. If you are determined to have cooler air for your PS in this chassis, then a PS swap and/or ducting forward might be a solution.

relitz

Post by relitz » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:18 am

Considering your temps are so low you probably don't need all the airflow that you have.

I'd rotate the heatsink and duct it to the rear fan so that the PSU won't be able to recive hot air from the CPU. Also you could try removing the CPU fan and/or slowing the fans down to 7V.

Broadleaf

Post by Broadleaf » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:32 am

Changing to a Mugen 2 and ducting it to the rear of the chassis with some "tupperware" from the dollar store would also eliminate the need for the noisy rear chassis fan.

60beetle60

Post by 60beetle60 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:48 pm

Cheers for the advice guys, dont really have enough money laying around to be swapping the PSU or heatsink, so I'm just gonna turn down the fans and see how it goes. I'm not concerned too much about the PSU taking in heat from the cpu, but I didnt want it taking in so much heat as to make its fan spin up

and btw if you think temps are low now you should have seen them when it was at the stock clock undervolted, it idled at or a degree above ambient :P

Pipps

Post by Pipps » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:48 am

Changing your heatsink to anything else would be total waste of time and money. You have the optimum heatsink for your purposes in your hands already.

You are definitely best mounting it in the position which it currently occupies. I believe this to be the case because its position is not overly obstructive to the general airflow from the front to back of the case. This is on the basis that you have a 120mm fan in the front of your Solo case. The Solo affords brilliant airflow due to the superior hard-drive suspension mounting section at the front of the case.

I don't think you could do anything better with your HR-01 right now. Unless of course you purchased a slightly cooler Intel CPU and overclocked that moderately. Although of course this would cost the same as a replacement heatsink. Although you would actually see some benefit from that modification!

I do have one other idea which might appeal to you, and could kill two birds with one stone. My question is: Do you plan to install a PCIE graphics card at any point?

Edit: PS: You have a very nice, tidy build, there. Gigabyte motherboard? Nexus rear fan? It's looking sweet!