Just a note on noise for those looking at Corsair H50...

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Hellspawn

Just a note on noise for those looking at Corsair H50...

Post by Hellspawn » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:10 am

The fan itself isn't bad, nice low temps on the cpu, but the pump is NOISY. Constant rapid rattle/buzzing noise.

I got one at best buy last week, exchanged it this morning for a 2nd one, same thing.

It is easily the most audible thing in the system.

I really had high hopes for it too, since I was seeing upper 30's/low 40's idle on a 4.2ghz overclocked i7 860.

neumein

Post by neumein » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:16 pm

Is the Corsair H50 "SPCR loud", or "Average User loud"?

Reason I ask is this;

Myself and two other friends are starting a small, run-from-home computer company. We wish to specialize in quiet premium systems, ranging from a silent, small form factor office system, all the way up to high end, custom liquid cooled game-dominating machines.

Now, the high end systems will enjoy custom built liquid cooling systems for the most demanding of users, but I figured something like this would be perfect the more mainstream of gamers/performance users seeking a liquid cooling solution.

But, if what you say is true, it sounds like it would destroy the work I do already selecting quiet components to begin with.

It would be most appreciated if you could deliberate on the noise character of the unit, as to whether or not the H50 would fit with our system goals.

Thanks in advance,
Nathan

Hellspawn

Post by Hellspawn » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:44 pm

I would say loud to us here, but with the average user , probably not. it's more of a rattle/buzz with a medium pitch. It's rather annoying and sounds *something* like a bad LCD monitor with the brightness turned all the way up.

I'm going back to an air cooler, after 2 units I can't tolerate it. To give you a reference, I have an XFX HD5870 w/ stock cooler in my system.
neumein wrote:Is the Corsair H50 "SPCR loud", or "Average User loud"?

Reason I ask is this;

Myself and two other friends are starting a small, run-from-home computer company. We wish to specialize in quiet premium systems, ranging from a silent, small form factor office system, all the way up to high end, custom liquid cooled game-dominating machines.

Now, the high end systems will enjoy custom built liquid cooling systems for the most demanding of users, but I figured something like this would be perfect the more mainstream of gamers/performance users seeking a liquid cooling solution.

But, if what you say is true, it sounds like it would destroy the work I do already selecting quiet components to begin with.

It would be most appreciated if you could deliberate on the noise character of the unit, as to whether or not the H50 would fit with our system goals.

Thanks in advance,
Nathan

neumein

Post by neumein » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:49 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Hmm, its one thing to be quiet, but if the noise character is that bad, I wouldn't want a customer to suffer with it. Still, I'll probably get one for the "lab" to have a play with, and see how we go from there.

Cheers,
Nathan

Hellspawn

Post by Hellspawn » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am

Just a 'zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz' kind of noise - 2 units do it, so I can't say with certainty a 3rd would but seems likely.

I did experiment with folding a small washcloth, wrapping it around the pump and using a zip tie. Noise was about 75% reduced, the remainder seemed to be coming from the top where it is labeled 'Corsair'.

I got to thinking about a piece of something like dynamat cut to wrap around, and a circular piece for the top perhaps. Since the pump housing doesn't get really warm perhaps this might be a more elegant solution. I have 45 days so I may try that. I do like how the warm/hot air is expelled directly from the case.