Scythe Big Shuriken stock fan or Slip Stream 120 (800rpm)?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

trueg

Scythe Big Shuriken stock fan or Slip Stream 120 (800rpm)?

Post by trueg » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:38 pm

I just received my Big Shuriken via Courier this morning. Along with my shipment I had also ordered a Kaze-Jyuni (Slip Stream) 120mm 800rpm case fan. I don't have a particular use for the Slip Stream, but it was only $7 and didn't increase the shipping amount, so I thought 'what the heck'.

Anyway, looking at the specs, the stock fan on the Big Shuriken can do up to 38.05CFM at 28.89dBA. Since it can use PWM, hopefully it will never need to run that fast & loud. The Slip Stream on the other hand is rated for 40.17CFM at 10.70dBA using the stock 12V.

I have about 100mm of clearance in my HTPC case (Thermaltake Mozart), so I have room for the Big Shuriken + Slip Stream.

By the numbers, it seems to me I would be better off using the Slip Stream with my Big Shuriken and let it run at the stock 12V. Am I missing anything? Do the number lie and perhaps the stock fan will be quieter?

I will be able to test it tonight, but thought I would pose the question here.

Thanks

Parappaman

Post by Parappaman » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:15 am

I really think the full-size Slipstream will be a better chioce. :)

trueg

Post by trueg » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:49 pm

Prior to installing the Big Shuriken, I removed the stock fan and hooked it as well as the Slip Stream up to a 12V source.

The difference in noise level between the two is significant. The CFM at 12V also felt to be about the same, but that is very subjective. I will have to hope that the CFM measurement values are at least comparable to each other since they are from the same manufacturer and I would hope they were tested the same way.

Anyway, I went with the Slip Stream since it was practically inaudible at 12V. I mounted the heat sink with Arctic Silver 5.

With my e5300 overclocked to 3.458GHz (266MHz FSB, stock voltages & multipliers) and running IntelBurnTest, I hit a max Core temp of 69 degrees C (pass with 10 runs - Stress Level: High). In everyday use, the core temp usually maxes out around 57 degrees. At idle the CPU drops down to 1.6GHz @ 1.1v thanks to Speedstep and runs at 28 degrees C. All the while my HTPC is silent. While watching movies, the CPU stays at 1.6GHz since the GPU (HD 4670) does all of the work.

I am very happy with the setup, the system is very powerful when needed, but more importantly, the system is silent no matter whether it is under full load or not. :D

jhatfie

Post by jhatfie » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:01 pm

I just ordered a Scythe Big Shuriken to test myself with my HTPC.

HTPC setup: Athlon II X3 325 (3.3Ghz @1.3v which is stock volts), Foxconn A7GM-S, 2GB Gskill HK, HIS HD4830, 2x500GB WD, Rosewill Green 430W, Onkyo SR-606, Silverstone SUGO.

Currently using OEM cooling my core temps get really hot when running prime95 (even at stock clocks), so much so that it hit my 75c shut down temp. Gaming runs cooler but hotter than I would like thus my purchase of the Big Shuriken.

I also have a GELID Solutions FN-PX12-15 120mm PWM fan for additional airflow that I will compare against the stock fan. It is 58CFM at 25.5dba and spins up to 1500 rpm.

trueg

Post by trueg » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:08 pm

Something that didn't occur to me until recently, is that the Slipstream is a sleeve bearing fan. Since it is mounted on a Big Shuriken in a HTPC case, it ends up being mounted horizontally. Apparently, mounting a sleeve bearing fan horizontally is a big 'no, no'.

Should I be worried?

jhatfie

Post by jhatfie » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:01 pm

I think you may shorten the life of the fan, but I bet it will start making noise before it goes out so you should have some warning that all is not right.

jhatfie

Post by jhatfie » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:20 am

Well I hooked up the Big Shuriken with the stock fan. Temps instantly dropped 10c at idle and 15c under OCCT load after 30 minutes (45c idle/62c load). Switched over to the Gelid PWM fan, but it would not spin up for some reason. CPU would just keep getting hotter and it would twitch, but never start spinning.

So I put in my spare Cooler Master BladeMaster PWM fan. It is rated at 76cfm @2000 rpm so it is a bit to loud in my HTPC, but I wanted to see how a different 120mm fan would do. Idle dropped another 4c and load another 10c (41c idle/52c load). Seems that there is diminishing returns at about 50cfm or so as 1500rpm on the fan seemed to only cool about a degree or two less than full speed and at 1500rpm it is actually pretty quiet.

Temps are taken from closed case. Open case temps were 5c + better still, but that is to be expected given the tight confines of the Silverstone SUGO case with limited cooling capabilities.

andymcca

Post by andymcca » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:53 am

jhatfie wrote:Rosewill Green 430W
Did you get the single 12V or four 12v rail model?

I recently purchased the 1x12V 430W Rosewill PSU and was pleased with the noise it produces. Definitely not silent, but quiet enough that my other fans drown it out. I have a separate intake for it, though, so I wonder how it does with a warm air intake.

jhatfie

Post by jhatfie » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:59 pm

andymcca wrote:
jhatfie wrote:Rosewill Green 430W
Did you get the single 12V or four 12v rail model?

I recently purchased the 1x12V 430W Rosewill PSU and was pleased with the noise it produces. Definitely not silent, but quiet enough that my other fans drown it out. I have a separate intake for it, though, so I wonder how it does with a warm air intake.
I have this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817182159

It is not totally silent, but like you, the light hum of my 80mm fans seem to drown it out. Overall I am pleased considering the cost of the unit.