Prolimatech Megahalem is it fitted ok help and hs paste Q

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

meridius

Prolimatech Megahalem is it fitted ok help and hs paste Q

Post by meridius » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:28 pm

Hi all

just a couple of questions about the Prolimatech Megahalem.

Q1 when you screw the backplate to the motherboard and then screw it on top with the short end of the screws to teh rivets is there a littile bit of play ? as i have tighten them as much as i can and they seem to have a little slack to them and not nipping to the motherboard is this right ?

Q2 here is a pic of my heatsink paste MX3 does this look ok as i have not tried the pc yet i got the info from artic silvers website but i did not use artic silver 5 i used artic mx-3 it says to run a stright line to cover all 4 cores

Q3 what temps should i be getting for 4 cores on idle and load ? and is there some program i can use to test the temps

thanks for any help or tips

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:27 pm

I have not used that CPU, but that certainly looks like you have plenty of paste on there! I think a line about half the length would be fine, also. The CPU cover is still the same size as before, a it spreads in all directions, fairly equally -- as long as when you press the heatsink on, you do it evenly.

I don't have the foggiest idea about Q1 and Q3, sorry.

kater

Post by kater » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:56 pm

Meet blob, the LARGE space killer ;) No, seriously, way too much goop. Even with quads, you'll be better off using less paste. Regardless of anything, it's still better to use less goop, than too much. Megahalems has a v good mounting system and if all goes well, your tiny blob should be evenly spread across the whole IHS. If not - it's warning that the pressure is too weak, and the mounting needs to be checked.

As for temp monitoring and giving your CPU some serious load - I find Linx and OCCT heavier than widely used Prime95 or Orthos, and I like to use CoreTemp (with Riva Tuner C2D plugin) and RealTemp to check CPU temps, and Everest to check mobo, PWM and other temps.

Bear in mind software like Linx will give you much higher temps than any kind of realistic, practical load you can have - games, F@H, zipping, vid editing, etc. Especially with a quad, that in daily conditions is less likely to be stress as heavily as a dual core.

meridius

Post by meridius » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:23 am

So what temps should I be looking at ?

kater

Post by kater » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:33 am

Best guess would be - very very low. You have no. 1 air cooler, you have a new and very power efficient 4-core chip (looks like i5 to me, or what?). Even with no or v little airflow and your chip overclocked, you're in most likelihood and probability going to be well within safety margin.

Now just make sure you have a tight fit. Maybe drop a v small blob on the IHS and mount the cooler, unmount it and see how well the IHS is covered with goop. If even a tiny blob is well spread, that means v good contact. I'm pointing to that as you asked about the play in the mounting system, and there just seems to be one way of making sure all is fine.

One more thing about play - if you mean vertical play, as in "I can rotate the mounted cooler a bit, but I can't lift it" - this is what happens with lots of coolers, even ones with v good mounting clips (not just pushpins). The cooler can simply "slide" on the CPU a bit.

meridius

Post by meridius » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:40 am

do you think i should take the hs off as i placed the hs on with the line of paste showed above ? or should i just try it and see what temps i get.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:02 am

You can certainly try it as is. If you do not get what you expect, then you can redo it with just the spot in the middle -- as long as it fills the gaps, then less is better, because you *want* metal to metal contact as much as possible. There are inevitably some spaces, and you need just enough thermal interface paste to even things out.

meridius

Post by meridius » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:22 pm

Just installed windows 7 and had the pc running for 2 hours nothing to much to stres the CPU out but it was sitting at 34c to 35c all the time with one fan running at 1400rpm and system temps where 29c.

Is this good temp for idle ?

Thanks

meridius

Post by meridius » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:06 pm

ok the above post was the temp in the bios,

so i ran prime 95 for 30 min and had core temp 0.99.5 running to and results are:

..........idle low................load High
core 1 28c.....................42c
core 2 25c.....................39c
core 3 29c.....................41c
core 4 24c.....................40c

is this good for a i5 temp do you think i might as well leave the thermal paste the wya it is in my first post.

woundr why the temps are higher in the bios unlees it takes an average reading of all 4 cores ? as it only displays 1 temp for the cpu in the bios.

danimal

Post by danimal » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:15 pm

you don't want any fan running at 1400 rpm, if you can help it... the cpu fan should be temp-controlled on the motherboard.

the standard software for temp monitoring is pretty much real temp, calibrated at idle, at low voltage... install it, run some numbers with prime95, and you'll have a basis for comparison with what a lot of other people are running.

Rucker

Post by Rucker » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:44 am

meridius wrote:ok the above post was the temp in the bios,

so i ran prime 95 for 30 min and had core temp 0.99.5 running to and results are:

..........idle low................load High
core 1 28c.....................42c
core 2 25c.....................39c
core 3 29c.....................41c
core 4 24c.....................40c

is this good for a i5 temp do you think i might as well leave the thermal paste the wya it is in my first post.
I have a Megahalems on my i860, and my idle temps are about the same as yours at 600rpm.