Tr Ultra 120 Ext. Black with Two Fans

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

erdiferik

Tr Ultra 120 Ext. Black with Two Fans

Post by erdiferik » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:26 am

I want to use Ultra 120 Black with two fans. But i must make a dicision vertical or horizontal using. I found two pictures about this situation.

Horizontal

Vertical

In my case, my PSU on top. And i using two of Arctic Cooling PWM fan (front and rear). They are really quiet.

1- Do i must remove the rear case fan?

2- We know that: hot air rises. Is this make a different?

Sincerely

Erdi

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:38 am

...and here I thought you were a spammer, with the previous 3 posts...

Welcome to SPCR.

Not knowing what chips your running or what the temps are, its hard to guess but you can probably eliminate at least half of those fans. (unless your overclocking)

PS -carefully placed cables make for better overall airflow.

erdiferik

Post by erdiferik » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:44 am

Cpu: intel e5200 (stock fan)
Gpu: ati hd3850 (stock fan)
My case is ThermalFAKE Sopranors
Idle: 30
Load:50-55(Orthos)

My pc is downloading at night and i don't want hear a sound. I think that two fans at low rpm quiet than one fan with high rpm.

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:22 am

You think that you would need to keep one fan at high rpm with such a beast of a cooler and an entry level cpu?

No.

erdiferik

Post by erdiferik » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:10 pm

lm wrote:You think that you would need to keep one fan at high rpm with such a beast of a cooler and an entry level cpu?

No.
My problem is noise of stock cooler. It's not quality of cpu :)

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:12 pm

Since your PSU is top mounted, with the 120mm PSU fan presumably facing down, you should have the CPU heatsink mounted 'horizontally' (as per your pic labeling), with the fans blowing air through the rear exhaust.

If you have your fans blowing up (vertical heatsink), the hot air from your CPU will be pushed into your PSU, heating your PSU up more and causing its fan to ramp up.

You may not need to use two fans on your CPU heatsink, depending on how close it is to to the rear exhaust.

As an aside, the fan grills on the Soprano cases look really restrictive - you might want to cut them out to increase airflow.

erdiferik

Post by erdiferik » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:28 pm

JamieG wrote:Since your PSU is top mounted, with the 120mm PSU fan presumably facing down, you should have the CPU heatsink mounted 'horizontally' (as per your pic labeling), with the fans blowing air through the rear exhaust.

If you have your fans blowing up (vertical heatsink), the hot air from your CPU will be pushed into your PSU, heating your PSU up more and causing its fan to ramp up.

You may not need to use two fans on your CPU heatsink, depending on how close it is to to the rear exhaust.

As an aside, the fan grills on the Soprano cases look really restrictive - you might want to cut them out to increase airflow.
You are right. Thank you for answer. I wonder alot. Can i use u120 as passive cooler? Ninja 2 is better but push pin mounting looks to me insecure.

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:47 am

erdiferik wrote:
lm wrote:You think that you would need to keep one fan at high rpm with such a beast of a cooler and an entry level cpu?

No.
My problem is noise of stock cooler. It's not quality of cpu :)
I was referring to the Ultra 120. The point about the CPU was perfectly relevant, because entry level cpus just don't output that much heat and so they are easier to cool silently.

Let me bend some iron wire: You should not need 2 fans on an Ultra 120 to cool e5200 quietly! I've Ultra 120 Extreme with a S-Flex 800rpm myself, cooling a Q9450 very quietly!

Made myself clear?