NEed help deciding on HSF for a Q-Pack case. 67mm max tested

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

WARDOZER9

NEed help deciding on HSF for a Q-Pack case. 67mm max tested

Post by WARDOZER9 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:47 pm

I've started to order te parts for my failing Shuttle SG31G2 and so far I'e gone with a Q-Pack case ( v1 plastic front so no ESD issues : ). A Corsair 400CX and a Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L.

My only problem is picking a heatsink that will fit in the uni and from what I've been abl to find the maximum height of a tested heatsink s 67m on the Zalman CNPS8700. Does anyone know of a better HSF that will et me use my own choice of 92mm or 120mm fans?

Imelon

Post by Imelon » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:43 pm

How about a Scythe Shuriken or Big Shuriken? Pretty decent performance for their respective sizes and damn silent as well.....

My office system has a Big Shuriken cooling an Athlon II X4 630 inside a Silverstone SG-01. Works like a charm.

If you're hot for a classic: a Zalman 7700 has a height of 68mm and also decent thermal and acoustic performance.. check out the old spcr article about modding one with your own fan!

ces

Post by ces » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:29 pm

If you are talking about the qpack case and a 775 socket. You can carve a bit of space from one of the internal struts (just need to cut in toward a long hole in the strut - if you look in the case it should be obvious what I mean)

You can then put a HR-01 Plus Thermalright in sideways. More cooling than you will ever need.

The HR-01 may even fit in without the mod. I just haven't tried it yet.

WARDOZER9

Post by WARDOZER9 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:32 pm

Wholly hell @_@ The HR-01 Plus has 6 heatpipes @_@ PRob wouldn't need a fan with myE7600 undervoted :) I'll take some measurements when I get all the parts and see if I can acomdate it. If so that is one tempting option for sure :)

ces

Post by ces » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:18 pm

WARDOZER9 wrote:Wholly hell @_@ The HR-01 Plus has 6 heatpipes @_@ PRob wouldn't need a fan with myE7600 undervoted :)
You don't want to use an extra fan. Just reverse your case fan to push air sideways at the HR-01. To kick it up a notch, channel that air with the HR-01 air duct (the red one is the short one the blue one is the long one). Or Nexus has an air straightener device you can add to the case fan that would generate close to the same effect. That outside air will be about 15C colder than your inside air.

To kick it one more notch up, attach a fan to the the HR-01 (either a Scythe 12mm thick one or a Yate loon 20mm thick one. You might not have room to add a 25MM fan to it.

This setup, with the outside air, could probably handle an overclocked Quad Core.

Better cooling with fewer fans. Report back. Let us know how it works for you.