How to Pick the Right Cooler that Best Fits Your CPU Size

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ces

How to Pick the Right Cooler that Best Fits Your CPU Size

Post by ces » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:43 am

From Bench Mark Reviews

"Because of the slightly spread-out core placement on a Core 2 Quad or Duo processor, most triple-piped HDT cooler would make directly-aligned contact with the cores through the IHS. However, when it comes to the Core i7 series, the processor cores line-up better with four-piped HDT coolers (or at the outer edge of the center heat-pipe in the three-piped HDT cooler).

Conversely, coolers with a solid base are not effected by either platform, so long as they're big enough to saturate the contact surface.

Making matters a little more complicated is the orientation of the Core i7 processor series, which is restricted to comply with the Intel-designed horizontally-aligned rectangle shape (not square like LGA775 processors). The 32mm tall by 35mm wide Core i7 processor is more sensitive to how a cooler is mounted to it, and care must be take to ensure the IHS is fully covered."

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?o ... mitstart=7

"Users of Intel processors need to pay careful attention to their processor size and the number of core it contains.

When choosing a HDT-based cooler, the older LGA775 and even the newer LGA1156 CPUs all work best with three 8mm heatpipe rods in the base, or four 6mm rods.

Larger Nehalem-based LGA1366 Core-i7 processors with the 263mm2 die are large enough to use four 8mm heatpipe rods in the base, and five 8mm rods (such as those in the IceAge Prima Boss-II or Tuniq Tower-120 Extreme) just barely make full contact.

They key here is to choose a cooler with enough heatpipes to saturate the base, but not too few that they are overloaded.

On the other hand, Westmere-based 32nm processors won't have as much die space to cool, and so some of the LGA775 and LGA1156 heatsinks may work perfectly well on them."

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?o ... mitstart=7

"All of the top performing CPU coolers have a few things in common: bolt-through mounting clip systems that create impressive contact pressure.

Although some mounting systems are better designed than others, The mounting system on the Prolimatech Megahalems and Armageddon heatsinks use a bolt-through system with slotted alloy plates to ensure a perfectly centered cooler, which was a good bit better than the Xigmatek Crossbow kits we use on compatible coolers.

The new mounting kit that comes with the Thermalright Venomous-X heatsink creates a dangerous amount of contact pressure, although we were able to tighten the cooler all the way without incident. Thermalright's Ultra-120 eXtreme, Cogage TRUE Spirit, and Cogage Arrow all use a similar bolt-through kit that creates substantial contact pressure."

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?o ... itstart=20

Wedge

Re: How to Pick the Right Cooler that Best Fits Your CPU Siz

Post by Wedge » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:00 pm

ces wrote: The new mounting kit that comes with the Thermalright Venomous-X heatsink creates a dangerous amount of contact pressure, although we were able to tighten the cooler all the way without incident. Thermalright's Ultra-120 eXtreme, Cogage TRUE Spirit, and Cogage Arrow all use a similar bolt-through kit that creates substantial contact pressure."[/i]

Wow, dangerous amount of pressure. I wish the author would qualify what he/she means by dangerous. Dangerous how? What is in danger? Is he suggesting that the IHS could crack?

I was thinking that Thermalright probably marketed Venomous X at a max of 70lbs for the reason being that is the safest upper limit one can reach. And I also assumed that is because Thermalright tested and re-tested it to make this determination.

ces

Post by ces » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:04 pm

Wedge wrote:
ces wrote: The new mounting kit that comes with the Thermalright Venomous-X heatsink creates a dangerous amount of contact pressure, although we were able to tighten the cooler all the way without incident. Thermalright's Ultra-120 eXtreme, Cogage TRUE Spirit, and Cogage Arrow all use a similar bolt-through kit that creates substantial contact pressure."[/i]
I was probably quoting some internet authority. I have no personal knowledge at what becomes dangerous and how that danger expresses itself. Perhaps in a cracked motherboard.

But no one forces you to torque down all the way. Probably what is safe for one board may be not so safe for another.

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:16 pm

ces wrote: I was probably quoting some internet authority. I have no personal knowledge at what becomes dangerous and how that danger expresses itself. Perhaps in a cracked motherboard.
I hope you took no personal offense. I wasn't talking about you (I knew you were quoting someone else).

I was just wishing the author of that statement would have pursued it a bit further. It would be nice to know how to determine when one should stop increasing the pressure if, in fact, there is a chance of harming the motherboard.