Ninja 3 announced

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Post Reply
Vibrator
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:46 am
Location: British Columbia

Ninja 3 announced

Post by Vibrator » Thu May 27, 2010 4:27 pm

http://www.overclock.net/hardware-news/ ... inja3.html

The Ninja 1 and 2 were good silent coolers. I wonder how well this will do?

(Source's source is in japanese btw, hence the link to a forum thread instead)

frostedflakes
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:02 pm
Location: United States

Post by frostedflakes » Thu May 27, 2010 5:50 pm

Fin spacing looks tighter, which will probably hurt performance as a passive cooler. Then again, most people these days opt for a very low speed fan on the CPU, as you can significantly increase cooling performance while adding a negligible amount of noise. Also, the flame (?) decal on the top is just gaudy.

Seems pretty underwhelming overall, but I should probably reserve judgment until SPCR has had a chance to review one. :)
Corsair Obsidian 650D | Seasonic X-650 | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 | Phenom II X4 955 | Noctua NH-D14 | 2x4GB Corsair DDR3-1600 | ASUS HD6950 DirectCU II 2GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | 2x WD Green 1TB

johnniecache7
Posts: 332
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:10 pm
Location: Toronto - Ontario - Canada

Post by johnniecache7 » Thu May 27, 2010 6:56 pm

Finally no push pins, they fixed the major flaw in all Ninja coolers. Now they might actually be able to compete with the True,HR-01 +,Noctua,Megahalems. Pushes pins was one the reason I would never touch a Scythe Ninja.

Mats
Posts: 3044
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 6:54 am
Location: Sweden

Post by Mats » Thu May 27, 2010 7:19 pm

Yeah, 36 fins, the first one had 24, and it's also heavier, 900 g istead of 665 g.
Two more heatpipes and 10 mm larger in all directions than the Ninja 1.

I did some calculation, and found out that if the effective cooling height, fin spacing and fin thickness was the same as Ninja 1, the spacing will be 2.49 mm.
The actual cooling height is probably higher, with 10 mm extra the fin spacing would be 2.78 mm.

johnniecache7
Posts: 332
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:10 pm
Location: Toronto - Ontario - Canada

Post by johnniecache7 » Thu May 27, 2010 7:25 pm

Mats wrote:Yeah, 36 fins, the first one had 24, and it's also heavier, 900 g istead of 665 g.
Two more heatpipes and 10 mm larger in all directions than the Ninja 1.

I did some calculation, and found out that if the effective cooling height, fin spacing and fin thickness was the same as Ninja 1, the spacing will be 2.49 mm.
The actual cooling height is probably higher, with 10 mm extra the fin spacing would be 2.78 mm.
:shock: 900 g no thanks not hanging that off my motherboard, tobad i hoping it would be good passive HSF again.

loimlo
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 3:58 am
Location: Formosa

Post by loimlo » Sun May 30, 2010 1:59 am

I'm worried about its stock fan choice -- after all, a fan rotating at 1900RPM stands no chance of being quiet. At least, they ditch push-pins mounting in old Ninjas in favor of more secure backplate.

Flanker
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:14 pm
Location: New Zealand

Post by Flanker » Sun May 30, 2010 2:42 am

hmm could this be able to beat the mugen II? can't wait for tests and results
loimlo wrote:I'm worried about its stock fan choice -- after all, a fan rotating at 1900RPM stands no chance of being quiet. At least, they ditch push-pins mounting in old Ninjas in favor of more secure backplate.
I guess this will depend on how the fan is controlled, its got a minimum speed of 740 rpm so lets hope we can make it stay near that instead of 1.9krpm...

mkk
Posts: 687
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:51 pm
Location: Gefle, Sweden
Contact:

Post by mkk » Sun May 30, 2010 5:54 am

Hope to see a mini of this design.

lodestar
Posts: 1683
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:29 am
Location: UK

Post by lodestar » Sun May 30, 2010 6:08 am

Flanker wrote:hmm could this be able to beat the mugen II? can't wait for tests and results
loimlo wrote:I'm worried about its stock fan choice -- after all, a fan rotating at 1900RPM stands no chance of being quiet. At least, they ditch push-pins mounting in old Ninjas in favor of more secure backplate.
I guess this will depend on how the fan is controlled, its got a minimum speed of 740 rpm so lets hope we can make it stay near that instead of 1.9krpm...
The 740 is a misquote, it's the same 470 - 1900 rpm PWM fan as is fitted to the Scythe Yasya. The fan comes with a variable PWM control, which you can use to dial the idle speed down to where you want it. So with Gigabyte motherboards for example which have a fairly aggressive PWM profile you can turn idle down to around 500 rpm, and it's effectively silent at that speed.

JazzJackRabbit
Posts: 1386
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:53 pm

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:05 am

Decals look funny :lol: but then again who's going to see them once your case is closed?

Looks interesting, proper mounting mechanism is a nice plus. with Ninja2 I've always used thermalright bolt through mechanism. I wonder how scythe system compares to it? Does it apply enough pressure?

I'd definitely be interested in reading SPCR commemorative review of a tower heatsink that started it all. :D

Rebellious
Posts: 322
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:53 pm
Location: EU, USA

Post by Rebellious » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:21 pm

They still have those butt-ugly lug nuts on top, I bet those weigh 300 grams.

mark19891989
Posts: 187
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 10:37 am
Location: UK

Post by mark19891989 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:12 am

looks nice, hope the make a mini version.


like alot of others im soo glad they have got rid of those dam push pins !!

cant wait to see the spcr review of this :)
specs:[email protected],4gb ddr2 1066, DFI LP jr p45-t2rs,Super talent 64gb ssd,8800gts @ 513/792/1674, 8800gt @ 555/800/1782 corsair tx650
Cooling:XSPC Acrylic top, MCP355, D-TEK FuZion v2,XSPC RS360 Black,swiftech MCW60,D-TEK FuZion GFX+uni sink,EK-NB S-MAX
Server/htpc: Zotac GeForce 9300-ITX-I-E - E5200 - 4gb ddr2 800 - 2* 1.5tb f2 drives- Pico PSU - minja

Flanker
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:14 pm
Location: New Zealand

Post by Flanker » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:51 am

found a review in german: http://www.technic3d.com/article-1085,1 ... uehler.htm
while not as good as say the noctua D12, the result aren't bad

Redzo
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:51 am
Location: Sweden, Stockholm

Post by Redzo » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:43 am

JazzJackRabbit wrote:
I'd definitely be interested in reading SPCR commemorative review of a tower heatsink that started it all. :D
+1

dan
Posts: 1243
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:01 am
Contact:

Post by dan » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:56 pm

johnniecache7 wrote:Finally no push pins, they fixed the major flaw in all Ninja coolers. Now they might actually be able to compete with the True,HR-01 +,Noctua,Megahalems. Pushes pins was one the reason I would never touch a Scythe Ninja.
What's wrong with push pins?

frostedflakes
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:02 pm
Location: United States

Post by frostedflakes » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:32 pm

They don't use a backplate, so for heavy heatsinks there are concerns about bending/warping the board. Also I don't think they mount as tightly and securely as a bolt-through kit with a backplate. It's just a very poor mounting solution for large, aftermarket heatsinks.
Corsair Obsidian 650D | Seasonic X-650 | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 | Phenom II X4 955 | Noctua NH-D14 | 2x4GB Corsair DDR3-1600 | ASUS HD6950 DirectCU II 2GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | 2x WD Green 1TB

MamiyaOtaru
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:56 am
Location: Wyoming

Post by MamiyaOtaru » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:16 am

johnniecache7 wrote:Finally no push pins, they fixed the major flaw in all Ninja coolers. Now they might actually be able to compete with the True,HR-01 +,Noctua,Megahalems. Pushes pins was one the reason I would never touch a Scythe Ninja.
my old Ninja had a backplate. When they got rid of them I went with an HR-01 for next build though (and I like it)

dan
Posts: 1243
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:01 am
Contact:

Post by dan » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:28 am

frostedflakes wrote:They don't use a backplate, so for heavy heatsinks there are concerns about bending/warping the board. Also I don't think they mount as tightly and securely as a bolt-through kit with a backplate. It's just a very poor mounting solution for large, aftermarket heatsinks.
MamiyaOtaru wrote:
johnniecache7 wrote:Finally no push pins, they fixed the major flaw in all Ninja coolers. Now they might actually be able to compete with the True,HR-01 +,Noctua,Megahalems. Pushes pins was one the reason I would never touch a Scythe Ninja.
my old Ninja had a backplate. When they got rid of them I went with an HR-01 for next build though (and I like it)
Mine had a backplate for 754 amd, but not for c2d. I actually agree that it doesnt mount as tightly and securely as I would have liked.

NeilBlanchard
Moderator
Posts: 7680
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2002 7:11 pm
Location: Maynard, MA, Eaarth
Contact:

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:06 pm

The Ninja 3 uses a backplate:

Image

It also appears to have the heatpipes soldered to the base plate.
Sincerely, Neil
http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

zodaex
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 9:16 pm
Location: Texas

Post by zodaex » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:19 am

I'm confused on why scythe makes so many different models of heatsinks. There's so many to choose from, not sure how you'd decide which one to get. I think that graphic on the top of the Ninja 3 is somewhat tacky.
My Current Rig:
Athlon II X4 620e @ 2.6ghz | Gigabyte Radeon HD6770 1GB
BIOSTAR A870U3 | 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600
64GB Crucial M4 | 128GB Crucial M4
640GB Hitachi Travelstar | Corsair 450W
Wattage is 73W Idle, 205W Fully Loaded

Xobim
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:39 pm
Location: Dutchieland

Post by Xobim » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:22 am

Oh, this looks pretty interesting. What surprises me most is the fact that the four fin arrays aren't connected, just like the tow towers the megahalems has. Maybe this has a better influence on dissipating heat to the air flowing through the heatsink?
Still, 16 heatpipes coming from the baseplate: very nice!

dhanson865
Posts: 2198
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:20 am
Location: TN, USA

Post by dhanson865 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:21 am

So does SPCR have a sample on the way to review or do we need to go the Donate for Reviews route?
.
Please put a country in your profile if you haven't already.
This site is international but I'll assume you are in the US if you don't tell me otherwise.
RAID levels thread http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=388987

Rebellious
Posts: 322
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:53 pm
Location: EU, USA

Post by Rebellious » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:52 am

That's interesting, they use brackets for mounting AM2/3 as well? Can I use these brackets to have a bolt-through mounting kit for my old Ninja Rev. B SCNJ-1100P (instead of the stock spring-loaded thingie)?




//

Post Reply